How many of you still have your first pair of good headphones?
Jul 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #77 of 126
Hey Guys,

What a great topic- I think your first pair of audophile headphones really have an impact on the way you listen to, and preference, different headphones in the future. Like your first car- you'll love 'em, and you'll compare everything you own in the future to that one car that meant a lot to you. I think a lot of people tend to Trade-UP however and do not hold onto their first for a while- maybe they do?

Spencer

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #78 of 126
First and only set of cans, Senn HD580's... after close to a year I still have them. After listening to some Grado's (SR60, 80, 225, and RS1) the only ones I consider an upgrade would be RS1's. However their close to $400 more than my Senn's and don't sound better just different. Having good amplification really helps though, I've gone through 3 amps already.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #79 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still got my PX100s they're not on the same planet as headfi headphones but they are a) good & b) headphones. so ner

Jude has them, so pah, they're head-fi.

Yes, no matter which you call my first good ones. V-Moda Vibe, Shure E2C, Alessandro MS-1 in that order.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #80 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first good pair of headphones was the v700dj ... or so I thought. Then a Grado SR60 which ended up being my REAL first good pair of headphones.

From that point on I decided I loved the grado sound and went up to the alessandro ms1, sr225, rs1, rs1i and even put my order in for the hf-2s.

Suffice to say, I sold my SR60s.

Now I have sold my rs1s, sr225s, ms1s, canceled my hf-2 order and have just recently purchased another pair of sr60s. Going back to the ol' roots. Honestly the difference was too small for my ears to go any higher than the ridiculous value of the sr60s.

The V700DJ was my first 'good' pair of headphones too, they were much better than other headphones I had been using, but the day I got sick of getting the replaced for the swivel cups breaking endlessly and ordered my ATH-A900's (back in '06 when I joined up here) was a very happy day. Those are my first real 'good' cans, and I'm glad to have and keep them as they've really allowed me to expand my listening habits.

I'm only recently looking into other brands of headphones, I like the Grado sound a lot, bought an SR-80i and just before that, an ATH-A950LTD, and I hope to find some beyers on the cheap that I can audition for quite some time, I didn't seem to like the DT880 Pro when I tried it out, but I did like the AKG-K240, maybe I'd like the K501 as lots of people seem to.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #81 of 126
l purchased the Sony mdr-cd-870 headphones in 1999. I'm not sure how they rate in terms of other choices at the time. They are my best headphones. They have a better balance than the k-701s I purchased last year. I'm grateful to the k-701s. Not because they sound the best. It's because they sent me down a $5000.00 usd rabbit hole purchase of amps and players trying to extract bass out of them.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #82 of 126
I still have my Sennheiser HD 650, and I will have them forever. They've seen a lot, they've played a lot of music to my ears, and simply the nostalgia and personal attachment are enough for me to keep them 'till sonic afterlife do us part
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #83 of 126
I still have the KSC-75's I got near the end of my first year of uni(going into third year now). Cable's pretty stiff from being pressed against my face all the time in bed though, I may have to get a new pair soon.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #84 of 126
KSC-75? .......

My first pair of "good" headphones were the RE2s which I sold, so no. In my opinion, the first pair of "good" headphones I bought I do still own (which I sold the RE2s for): Etymotic ER4P.

And I highly doubt I'll ever sell the HF2s that will be on my head in a couple months.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #86 of 126
My brother bought me a pair of SR-60s 4 years ago that I sold not long ago to a friend. I regret the decision not only because I realize now that they had a lot of sentimental value for me but also because they were so enjoyable!

I'm now on the market for a pair of Grados to be their spiritual successors.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #87 of 126
I do not...sigh. I bought a pair of AKG 240M's about 1982 +/- 1 yr. After about a decade of abuse I had to start soldering a cable in 1 of the sides. After 6 or 7 yrs of repairs, I ran out of cable in the ear and finally tossed the phones around 2000. I still have the Grado 225's that replaced them.

Bazile

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #88 of 126
Old thread, but I still own my AKG 240 DF's. Recabled with Moon Audio Black Dragon's and repaded with velour. I've had them now for more then 10 years
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #89 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have the KSC-75's I got near the end of my first year of uni(going into third year now). Cable's pretty stiff from being pressed against my face all the time in bed though, I may have to get a new pair soon.

also still got my ksc75!
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #90 of 126
Still have my HD280's. I don't use them much anymore except when I go to the library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back