How many of you listen primarily to headphones?
Jan 14, 2007 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Quint

100+ Head-Fier
After getting the chance to listen to some really high-end headphone rigs, I think that's going to be my de facto standard for critical listening. I like to get inside of recordings, and, to me, a good headphone rig is the best (and, ultimately, most inexpensive) way to do it. I simply don't get the satisfaction and musical insight out of speaker-based systems, regardless of cost, and that's partly why I'm selling off my expensive main system. Of course, I'll keep my second system for casual listening and movies, but for serious, let's-see-what-the-artist-was-thinking listening, I'm going headphones--and am going to save a ton of money in the process. Anyone else doing the same thing? BTW, I finally figured out how to add my avatar. Maybe I'm not quite as technologically crippled as I thought. Then again, maybe not!
rs1smile.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 80
I listen music only thru my headphones. I used to have decent speaker system connected to my computer. At first I had an old Pioneer (dont remember model) stereo amplifier and later a JVC A-X1 stereo amp, pair of JVC speakers and self-made 12" subwoofer. Not exactly hifi, but bass fun at its best!
But I moved to apartment building, so i had to let them go for the sake of neighborhood peace, and now I have my headphone system. Not exactly a loss though, i have used headphones since i was a child and have always liked them. And my headphone system is a LOT better quality in audiophile terms than my old speaker system, there isnt even comparison.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 80
I mainly listen with headphones even though I have a speaker system set up too.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 80
I just got my headphones a couple of days ago and they are low-mid range IMO (AKG K 81 DJ) but after realizing that they sound better than my speakers, I hardly take them off when listening to music. My next upgrade is a sound card, something like an X-Fi Extreme Gamer.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 80
100% headphones. My speaker rig and its related gear are still in their packing cases in a dark cellar corner.

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 80
I have some sort of headphone on for over 50% of my waking day.

99% of us aren't millionaires.
But we can get a $1,000,000 sound for a fraction of the price with headphones.

k1000smile.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 80
I deleted my speaker setup a long time ago. Just never really used them afterwards

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 80
Since living arrangements have changed for me over the last few months, I use my headphones 100% of the time now for music, and I'd have to say about 25-30% for movies.

Before then, I was 100%, totally, only loudspeakers for everything. And now since I've been using headphones again for the last few months, and now especially with the AKG K701s, I'm really glad I switched back over to cans again.

Don't get me wrong, my stereo sounds darn good, but I am preferring my headphones more and more. The stereo just sits there and is only used for movies when the whole family is around. And with a 9' wide projection screen, it does an excellent job as a movie theater.
icon10.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 80
When at home from colllege, I'll jump on my speakers, primarily due to the fact i just have my headphone rig at school. After about a week or so of speakers, Im back to solely headphones. I can't get away from them even if i wanted to

biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many of you listen primarily to headphones?

I do!
Using headphones 80-90% of my listening time.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 80
I go through phases, right now I'm in a huge headphone stage, and both my pairs of speakers are ignored. Before I got my SR-X/MK3s, I hadn't touched the Grados in a couple of months.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 80
In our old house with a "good" listening room I was perfectly satisfied with my speaker system as it did a great job of sounding fantastic and displaying a fabulous soundstage with outstanding and precise imaging capabilities. I could sit there with my eyes closed and "see" the band right there across the room all spread out from beyond the spread of the speakers standing in front or in back of each other as the recording engineer placed them.

In our new larger listening room with the reflective fireplace at one side and a cavernous opening to the other, the new larger floorstanding speakers placed in necessary, but undesirable locations, are confused.

Works great for movies and even classical music, but for serious listening this new "sucky" listening room is a disaster.

Log in one more "serious listening with cans only" to the phones side of the ledger.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% headphones. My speaker rig and its related gear are still in their packing cases in a dark cellar corner.

I heart you. Same here and I love music through my old D77s so I don't feel denied. Truth is I'm enjoying Foobar so much that if I ever go back to my stereo, it would have to be hooked up to my computer. CDs? What's up that?

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 80
I mainly use my speakers at home with my desktop, nothing really spectacular (X-Fi sound card with Z-5300 speakers). I always use my 5.1 setup at home for everything. When I'm travelling, I use my headphones (HP-FX77, not high end enough). Maybe that will all change once I get to try out some high end iems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back