How many of you listen primarily to headphones?
Jan 14, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #31 of 80
Headphones exclusively for serious music listening. Speakers only for Home Theater and occasional FM radio as background noise.

Jan 14, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #32 of 80
i generally prefer headphones. but when i'm all alone in the house, i'll turn my speakers on and blast them. you can't get a real subwoofer feel with headphones, and you also can't bust a move with headphones on.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #34 of 80
i do now but only because we have a baby and I take her peace and tranquility over my velodyne hgs 12iix anyday she does not yet appreciate the floor shaking wife anoying rumbling that she one day will
basshead.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #37 of 80
I use my cans to listen to music almost 100% of the time. The primary role of my 5.1 speaker setup (it's no slouch either) is home theater usage. Headphones are more intimate, more convenient, and (to me) usually more fun. Two more nice features: 1) I can take 'em with me, 2) I can listen to whatever I want whenever I want without bothering anyone else in the house.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #38 of 80
I listen to my speakers 72% of the time and my headphones 60% of the time.
The rest of the 200% is spent eating and using the bathroom.

I guess it really depends on whether or not you have a good speaker system. If you have a really good system especially surround sound, I would be hard pressed comparing it to my computer system (which has it's merits, but can't be compared to home stereo).

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #39 of 80
I was going to write 90% headphones (K1000 at home, ER4/SR-325i at work), 10% speakers (Paradigm Titan 3s through an H/K AVR75), but then I realized at least 15-25% of my music listening is done in my car!

It's a much more euphoric setup than my 'phones or even home stereo, but it's great for rock. I don't feel the need to crank my home setup because I know no matter what, it's not going to compete with concert level raw energy in my car, which is Infinity Kappa component 6 1/2's in the front (1" aimed CMMD tweeters), Infinity 5x7's in the back, 2 10" JL audio's in a sealed box, all powered with a variety of decent amps, running from a JVC KD-SHX750 (totally kick-ass head unit). All tuned with a dB meter for neutrality at all the frequencies the onboard 8-band EQ supports, except with +2dB at ~8khz and +1 - +3 for 60-150hz. Very Grado-like.

It's practically distortion-free up to 120dB and shakes you to pieces with the bass drum (ie. Rage against the machine, God Forbid, etc) and presents music in a totally different light.
biggrin.gif

So my split is probably more like 70/30.

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #40 of 80
I had a pretty awesome speaker set up when I was in college.

One night during senior scramble, I was about three sheets in the wind down at the local pub, when a co-ed that had never looked at me twice in 4 years came up and started talking to me. Well, me being pretty smoked at the time I was actually pretty personable, and we ended up getting into her Saab 9-3 and heading back to my apartment.

We made a few drinks out in the living room, and I felt the whole place start to spin. The last thing I remember is "Man, this naugahide couch sure has seen a lot of weird stuff in 3+ years!"

I woke up, and my Carver receiver, Nakamichi tape deck, and Cerwin Vega speakers were all gone.

Why? Why?

I still wonder once in a while, but now I never worry, because I can actually fit all my headphones and headphone amps in my wall safe. I'll never be taken advantage of (or slipped a Mickey Finn) again - my two Rhodesian Ridgebacks won't let anyone walk away with as much as a Q-tip.

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #41 of 80
im almost constantly listening to music and i have access to both 2 speaker systems and a headphone rig. i must say i prefer listening to the speakers but its simply much less practical. headphones take up more of my listening time than speakers do because of things like speakers disturbing family(never had problems with neighbours) or playing music they dont like thru the speakers.

im really much more interested in hearing the b&w nautilus and the quad esl-57 more than any headphone.

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #43 of 80
I listen to headphones exclusively...atm.

I do not have neither the economical, nor spacial, nor the practical ability to have speakers even though I do desire to...

Headphones provide excellent quality and layers, you know what the recording is about, I love that, and thats all I can do for now
smily_headphones1.gif

(now the day I will be able to put down 10 grand on a speaker setup to bring all the instruments to life-size ...
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #44 of 80
I guess I'm another "odd man out" here. I really enjoy my main stereo system and view cans as alternative devices. No neighbor or space issues forcing my hand which undoubtedly correlates to age as I'm near retirement. I also have a separate home theater system tailored for movies and TV. My headphone use is confined to my DAP while working out, with my laptop, and for some late night sessions.

glow_1.JPG

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #45 of 80
I'm gonna be immature and give you a middle finger for that one Bob.

I wish I had a pair of those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back