How many of you listen primarily to headphones?
Jan 15, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #61 of 80
< not pointing fingers or anything >

i just had to do something to make myself feel better about older folks having all the good stuff :wink:.

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #62 of 80
Does it make you feel even better if I tell ya that I'm "only" 35 years young?

biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #63 of 80
Don't even own any speakers. To my ears, my AKG K-501 are where it's at!

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #64 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang, Bob! What's all that shiz over to the left for?! You got a reel to reel looking thing... and what's all them knobs for?
tongue.gif

Nice rig you got there. Idk why, but those couch cushions look killer! Is it comfy? Big CD (or are those cassette tapes? I'd lmao if they were) collection as well. Any ELO in there?

khbaur, on the left? All my sources
smily_headphones1.gif
Turntable, reel, cassette, CDP, AM/FM/satellite feed. That link (my systems description) in my signature takes you to all the details.

The couch is indeed comfortable. All but two rows on the right are CDs. The other two are in fact cassettes. Vinyl and reels are out of the frame on the left and in another room. ELO? Absolutely! Roy Wood and others too
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenkins
Nice set-up, Bob! A pair of MG12 speakers are driven by an Electrocompaniet ECI3.

Thanks Jenkins. Your MG12 system is no slouch either. Good luck with the curtain diffusers. It is indeed challenging to strike the right balance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS
Bob ... that is a hell of a dedicated rig. Although I am going to question the look of the blue lights in such a comfy looking wooden setup... could have at least gave the amps a wooden color...but then the sound is all that matters in the end anyway, you not gonna keep your eyes open when you fire these babies up.

....Although I still loath the 60 year olds above us with their humongous stats.

The blue lights are the standard Klaus Bunge uses in his Odyssey Audio equipment like these monoblocks. And you're right, the enveloping sound does lull you. My eyes do not stay open at all
smily_headphones1.gif

60? Gesh! hahahaha Give me a few more months and then I'll indeed be there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta_Nu
Oh yah Bob, thats a helluva of a setup that you've got there!!

Delta_Nu, thanks! It took me many years to get there. And that journey has been extremely rewarding!

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #65 of 80
100% head phone tied for the moment, that is until I can afford those B&W801 without flinching. I had not realised what image and sound stage truely meant until that fateful day in Japan. Even in a noisy and poorly staged open space, the pair of 801 with an accuphase chain still sang with such realistic authority that my hearing were easily deceiving my vision.

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #69 of 80
for musical background (not listening really) I do use speakers (well some cheap-lookalike at least
tongue.gif
) whether in the car or in the office through my plastic sounding laptop speakers.

at my parents' place, I tend to listen along to their Bose lifestyle system (looks over sound IMHO) just to be social.

For listening, I use my MS2i or A900 (and SR60 in the office) and D66SL on the go. So for a lack of a decent speaker setup (and lack of funds/ room/ drive to get one) real listening is 100% headphones. But in terms of hearing music (whether critical listening or background) I guess it comes close to 60/40% (phones/speakers)

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #70 of 80
95% headphones.
I am actually thinking about selling my speaker rig, since I barely use it anyway...

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #71 of 80
When we moved into this house, my beautiful speaker system met its' match. The room defeated it. The acoustics are bad by design. The house was built to eliminate any chance of good music.

So then...what "Sounds" like the speakers? Why, MS-1/MS2i of course!

MS2i is almost exactly like what my speakers "should" sound like....in stereo. So for the rock side of things the MS2i became my primary listening device as they would give me back what the room took away.

For classical, the speakers with the surrounds and the musical sub engaged would still give me the concert hall experience, but for that I needed the permission of the Wife and all the kids to take over the main system.

Bummer....I had to listen by their clocks, not mine.
frown.gif

Now though, I have HD600 to take the place of the speakers for the big classical stuff and the transformation is complete.

Cans for virtually all "my" music.

All is not in vain however. The speaker system is still king for action flicks!

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #73 of 80
Right now it's almost a 100% headphone listening for me.
I moved to a smaller apartment and had to leave my speaker rig at my parents' house!
I originally intended my K701 (my first serious headphones ever) to be some sort of transitional arrangement, until I could afford a slightly bigger room where I could position my speakers decently, but this has been a year ago and I don't think this will change any time soon...

Meanwhile, headphones have proven to be just as addictive as poring over possible speaker/amp combinations. Unfortunately with the minor difference that you can actually afford most of them, which gets you thinking, that its all not so bad....until you sit there with an additional amp, three portable phones to choose from plus a portable amp and are on the verge of getting Grados shipped to Germany somehow just for the heck of it
rolleyes.gif

So: A hearty 'Curse you, Head-Fi' from me...

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #74 of 80
90% hp-listening. It's an addiction haha! Though I love my speakers and like to crank them up and enjoy the music in a different way then.

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #75 of 80
The cost aspect of speakers vs cans is an interesting one at that. I have far less invested in my entire headphone collection, such as it is, than I do in just my two main stereo speakers.

I may even be where I want to be with phones, but my speakers are rendered nearly useless for serious music listening by the room acoustics.

Talk about your economic imbalances!

Cans be a bargain!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back