How many of you have ever been to a classical concert?
Mar 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #61 of 80
Yes, over the years we’ve been to many orchestral concerts at places such as the Royal Festival Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Albert Hall, Barbican etc, and enjoyed anything from small ensembles playing Steve Reich to the LSO playing Beethoven.

Lately though we have been going after a few local straight ahead Jazz musicians that we like. If you can get next to the stage in a small club (with the PA turned off), the SQ is almost as good as my Stax headphones, well perhaps even a bit better.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #62 of 80
Have you heard LIVE (un-amped) classical music in concert? Of course - all the time. I love music, if it's good - it's good, doesn't matter what genre. I played classical piano for years (no talent, though) and was lucky to see Artur Rubenstein perform once.

I've been most fortunate for about the last 15 years, to have a talented daughter who's played piano since 8 (she's a college sr., now) and viola since 7th grade. I don't think there's an orchestra concert of hers I've missed, including Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World, Vanderbilt, Univ. of Georgia, local GA symphonies, and countless high-school and college performances and recitals, and various accompaniments - not to mention auditions all over the country. Now, she's conducting. Life is good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #63 of 80
Do (unamped, concerning the orchestra) operas count?

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #64 of 80
What bollocks.

I listen to Heavy Metal and as a result have seen many, many live concerts which helped me understand and appreciate and understand sonically the music I listen to.
The OP's post is condescending and laced with hubris, scorning those who deign to listen to "lesser" music.

Listen to what you love, not what you think you should listen to.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #65 of 80
Well.. even if I'm not a true connoisseur of classical music - preferring alt rock, noise, electronic, free jazz.. - I attended chamber music concerts several times and I enjoyed them.

Loving a specific genre doesn't bar the chance to appreciate new sonic experiences...

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #66 of 80
I usually go at least once a week somewhere in London - usually either Wigmore Hall or the Royal Festival Hall. There's nothing I love more than going to Wigmore Hall - I feel truly involved in the music there.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #67 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP's post is condescending and laced with hubris, scorning those who deign to listen to "lesser" music.

A bit defensive, aren't we?

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #69 of 80
I saw NY Phil last year.

The single best live musical performance I've ever heard. One of Stanely Drucker's last concerts before he retired. He was there for 60 years. Crazy.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #74 of 80
Many times, yes.

Living in the Boulder area, we are treated to at least 6 performances annually of the Takacs Quartet in a rather intimate setting. To hear this quality of ensemble in a small room in a college town is truly remarkable. We also have respectable symphonic and opera options down the road a piece in Denver.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #75 of 80
I am so glad to see so many classical music lovers on head-fi!!!

I go as often as I can. Have been a subscriber to the Phoenix Chamber Music Society for many years. Heard the Tokyo Quartet last week. Seats are row 5 dead center.

In fact, I became an audiophile in order to hear great performances right in my own home !!!!!

GREAT THREAD TOPIC !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back