how many of you guys cook???
Jul 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,326 of 3,876
Quote:
Not much time for cooking this summer but here's a "chicken and taters still life" that I whipped up.
I love these purple potatoes
tongue_smile.gif

A purple potato eater! Yummy!
And the chicken is perfect!

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2,327 of 3,876

Latest baking project, kouign amann, a sweetened laminated dough pastry.  Made vanilla bean sugar for it, giving it a nice sweet floral accent to the caramel that forms during baking.  

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,329 of 3,876
It's all good...

Had a two pack of udon noodles, that I butchered (cut up) for a soup.
I chopped the peppers, onions, chicken and sauteed with the noodles and cremini mushrooms in butter.
Splash of tamari soy sauce, add some chicken stock and bam, a quick snack in bowl.
Garnish with the remaining scallions, add hot sauce or pepper flakes.
Bummer some of you guys can't find these ready to go noodles, they're like .89 cents regular price.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,331 of 3,876
I started here:http://www.grouprecipes.com/1495/singapore-chicken-wings.html

But I did my own thing with amounts.  I didn't use dijon mustard, though I have before.  Instead I used the Sriracha.

I dumped out some soy sauce and saturated it with brown sugar until it wouldn't mix in anymore.  It was gritty.  Sprinkled some garlic powder on top and mixed it in and made small adjustments by taste.  Then a couple squirts of Sriracha.

Marinaded for two hours with the occasional stir.

Dumped it all in my skillet on the stovetop, added a little water to halfway submerge the ribs.  
Alternating between Low and Warm settings.  Barely a simmer.

Flip and baste em every half hour or so.  Whatever, whenever.  

Kept my liquid level up by adding in water.

About 5 hours or so.  Low and slow.  Towards the end I stopped adding water and let stuff thicken and kept basting and flipping and basting and flipping and oh my.  

That taste is almost exactly as you would imagine.  Only better.

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #2,332 of 3,876
Oh my is right! And thanks for the recipe! Your ribs look like the bones were cut in half. What kind of cut is that?

I am making lamb loin chops tonight on the electric grill or maybe in one of those grill pans on the stovetop--we'll see.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,333 of 3,876
I don't know what cut they are.  I know it's not normal, not to me anyways.  I'll ask next time I'm there, which will be real soon for more.  The marrow is right there, left to melt in with the soup.  I've struggled many times trying to keep the bone attached, simply for presentation.  Finally got it to stay on, and they were great.

Lamb isn't cheap here.  But I very much enjoy lamb.  More than beef actually.  Cook well, Clayton!  Bring it!  

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,334 of 3,876
Quote:
I don't know what cut they are.  I know it's not normal, not to me anyways.  I'll ask next time I'm there, which will be real soon for more.  The marrow is right there, left to melt in with the soup.  I've struggled many times trying to keep the bone attached, simply for presentation.  Finally got it to stay on, and they were great.

Lamb isn't cheap here.  But I very much enjoy lamb.  More than beef actually.  Cook well, Clayton!  Bring it!  

Tell me about it! Look at what I paid for a pack of 4 small chops. I picked up the one for $13.79.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2,335 of 3,876
It's New Zealand's fault!  

Do want though, so just maybe I'll join in on the lamb kick.

Maybe some red wine, rosemary, tomato paste sauce - slow cook style.

I want bones though...

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,336 of 3,876
I like NZ chops. Costco used to have those but now they're from Australia. Almost as good but not quite the same.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #2,338 of 3,876
Cool I love oranges!

And I miss Trader Joe's. I remember "three buck chuck" bottles of Cabernet
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,339 of 3,876
Nice to see people here enjoying the good life! I love to cook when my hands let me. Made some lovely fried potatoes to go with chicken tonight. More bother than any other way of cooking spuds, but worth it!

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,340 of 3,876
Went and grabbed some more beef ribs.  Lamb is just stupid expensive, like shockingly too much.  I couldn't do it.

And, I didn't want to be that guy that took pictures of meat.  
tongue_smile.gif

And I asked what kind of cut they call this, but the kid was clueless.  I asked English cut, cut in half?  He said I don't know, it's up to the butcher at the moment and they should be about the same size, he said. I said they've been this way for a long time.  Well I don't know sir (hate when people call me sir).  So I said thanks and left.

Got some stewing (brewing) in red wine and tomato paste and rosemary on the stove.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back