how many of you guys cook???
Mar 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #2,131 of 3,876
Good foods abound on these pages.
Deals on packaged Corned Beef Brisket after St.Pat's.
I use extra pickling spices to ramp up the flavor.

Ingredients:
One package of corned beef brisket.
One small head of green or savoy cabbage
Red potatoes
Carrots
12 cups water
1/4 cup Pickling spices
salt for vegetables

Method:
Remove from package and place brisket into a pot and cover with the water.
Add any pickling spices that come with the brisket plus the extra 1/4 cup
Bring to a simmer and turn heat down until just bubbling
Cook for 2.5-3 hours,until a fork will easily run through.(app.160F internal)
Remove brisket to rest
Strain brisket water
Add quarters of cabbage(leave core on so it won't fall apart)to the pot
Add potatoes and carrots
Pour strained brisket water over vegetables,add salt and simmer until tender (app.40 mins)

Slice brisket opposite the meat grain,serve with whole grain mustard.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2,132 of 3,876
I recently bought a  2 in 1 slowcooker and pressure cooker. This thing saves me so much time as far as planning on what to eat/make. I just make one thing and eat it for the rest of the week.
tongue_smile.gif

So far I made carnitas

and pot roast
normal_smile .gif

Sorry for the instagram photos, they were taken from my fb. Looking for more slowcooking/pressurecooking ideas/recipes if you guys got some!

^That corn beef and cabbage looks great!, I was thinking of making that too but i'm not a big corn beef fan. I think i need to have it with some kind of mustard or dressing on the side.
I need to try making that  braised short ribs with guiness too, looks amazing!

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #2,133 of 3,876
I enjoy cooking as well. bacon wrapped water chestnuts masterrace.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2,136 of 3,876
Mmmm.... Wings... Those look really nice :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2,137 of 3,876
Karaage--Japanese fried chicken nuggets, poached egg with habenero sauce.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #2,139 of 3,876
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #2,141 of 3,876
Quote:
i need to make a run to Trader Joe's tomorrow to get some...

It is really quite good and a surprise I'd say. I've never used their sauce--it may be good though.

So after baking it in the oven until it is crispy, put your own sauce on it. Soy, garlic, and Chinese black vinegar is excellent. Also here's a trick--crumple up some aluminum foil and then uncrumple it on a baking sheet or pizza pan and then bake the chicken pieces on it. It fries up nicely in the oven when the chicken is on crumpled foil.

The great thing is that you can play around with making many different sauces and not worry about the chicken pieces because they are already preapred to throw in the oven and cook perfectly.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,142 of 3,876
Quote:
It is really quite good and a surprise I'd say. I've never used their sauce--it may be good though.

So after baking it in the oven until it is crispy, put your own sauce on it. Soy, garlic, and Chinese black vinegar is excellent. Also here's a trick--crumple up some aluminum foil and then uncrumple it on a baking sheet or pizza pan and then bake the chicken pieces on it. It fries up nicely in the oven when the chicken is on crumpled foil.

The great thing is that you can play around with making many different sauces and not worry about the chicken pieces because they are already preapred to throw in the oven and cook perfectly.

perfect, i really don't like to fried food at home.  this make it much easier for me.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2,143 of 3,876
Farro salad with shredded cabbage, wood ear mushrooms, wild mushrooms in a wasabi soy vinaigrette.
Broccoli shoots with Italian pine nuts and breadcrumbs.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #2,145 of 3,876
Cooking thread? hell yes! How many of you all stir fry? I've getting into it because it is a fast method of preparing relatively balanced meals. 
Tomorrow night is double umami yakisoba. Seasoning will consist of mirin, bonito dashi, black pepper, bacon, and brown sugar. I will be thin slicing carrots, broccoli, onions, cabbage, as well as using chopped green onions to finish off the dish. I will be using chicken as my meat of choice and will sear it in the wok with pepper prior to adding the blanched veggies for cooking. Pics tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back