how many of you guys cook???
Nov 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,756 of 3,876
Quote:
^ I'm assuming the crust is homemade, too? I've had pretty good results making my own, and I've also had it come out tasteless and undercooked.

Any tips on how to make a crust come out well?

Yep, I always make my own crust.  I started with this recipe:

http://www.pickyourown.org/piecrust.php

I never use butter.  I always substitute in shortening, and I think that's part of it.  Everyone who has my crust says it's one of the best they've had.  You could try finding a recipe with sugar in it.  That should help with the flavor.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #1,757 of 3,876
Quote:

I never use butter.  I always substitute in shortening, and I think that's part of it.  Everyone who has my crust says it's one of the best they've had.  You could try finding a recipe with sugar in it.  That should help with the flavor.

Thanks. I'll definitely check that out. Any tips on making sure it all gets done evenly? Like maybe putting the pan in the oven for a little while before putting in the filling?

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,759 of 3,876
A simple snack.
Cider vinegar salsa.
One open faced and one folded over.
Corn tortilla stuffed with cheese and curry tomato ground beef.
Inspired by curry ketchup used in the Netherlands.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #1,760 of 3,876
Quote:

Yea, the shortening is what makes it magical! Butter adds a nice flavor but shortening adds a slitghy better texture since it's well all fat, where as butter is like 75% fat 25% milk Solids... the more fat the better in those rolled doughs! 

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,761 of 3,876
Quote:

Thanks. I'll definitely check that out. Any tips on making sure it all gets done evenly? Like maybe putting the pan in the oven for a little while before putting in the filling?

That might result in overcooked crust.  I know that's a good step in making pizza - it's good to 'pre-bake' the dough so it comes out crispier and easier to add toppings.  I think the best thing for pies is to make sure it's all rolled out evenly.  I sometimes cover the outer edge with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn, and usually remove the foil in the last 15-20 minutes of baking.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,762 of 3,876
 yea good tips man! I mad a pie once... with butter and it wasn't bad! actually. And BECAUSE I used tips like those my pie didn't completely suck like it should have :D

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,763 of 3,876
Quote:
Yea, the shortening is what makes it magical! Butter adds a nice flavor but shortening adds a slitghy better texture since it's well all fat, where as butter is like 75% fat 25% milk Solids... the more fat the better in those rolled doughs! 

Working with shortening is so much better.  My grandma makes a shortening-based banana cookie (I've made them many times too) that's out of this world.  Shortening is much more rich in taste compared to butter.  I'm too impatient to wait for butter to come to room temp. anyways.  For some reason, I think of people who use butter in crusts to be lazy.

Another thing, I rarely ever grease the dishes.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with the shortening, but I've never had a problem with crusts sticking.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,764 of 3,876

Working with shortening is so much better.  My grandma makes a shortening-based banana cookie (I've made them many times too) that's out of this world.  Shortening is much more rich in taste compared to butter.  I'm too impatient to wait for butter to come to room temp. anyways.  For some reason, I think of people who use butter in crusts to be lazy.

Another thing, I rarely ever grease the dishes.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with the shortening, but I've never had a problem with crusts sticking.

I use a mixture of peanut butter, peanut oil, and ground flaxseed as a substitute for shortening in your grandmother's recipe, and I think they're awesome that way!

Thanks again for sharing that great recipe, it's just that those of us with peripheral artery disease need to avoid trans fats.

As far as pie crust goes, it's much easier with shortening but I prefer a buttery crust. With proper technique (use ice water and refrigeration, keep the dough relaxed, don't overmix) it comes out great.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #1,765 of 3,876
I too, prefer to make crust with shortening.

Any advice or recipes for deep dish pizza guys? I went to Pi a while back, and... I'm curious to see if I can match the quality of their pizzas, without the price.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,766 of 3,876
I just received this awesome ceramic fermentation crock. Making my first batch of sauerkraut this morning!

In case you are wondering, I am listening to this while shredding cabbage. Wonderful recording:

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,767 of 3,876
Quote:
I just received this awesome ceramic fermentation crock. Making my first batch of sauerkraut this morning!

Is that a 5 liter Nik Schmitt fermentation crock? It is a beaut. I want one.
And thank you for the music-to-shred-cabbage-by recommendation. I shall check it out.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,768 of 3,876

I'm a big fan of fermented cabbage, but I prefer Kimchee unless it's on a Reuben sandwich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back