how many of you guys cook???
Oct 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,741 of 3,876
Arrowroot powder is a healthier alternative to both roux and cornstarch. But I do like a nice dark roux sometimes.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,742 of 3,876
Quote:
Arrowroot powder is a healthier alternative to both roux and cornstarch. But I do like a nice dark roux sometimes.

I've read about that. From what I understand arrowroot will result in a clear (rather than translucent, like cornstarch) sauce and doesn't set as readily when refrigerated.

I'll also have to try my hand at making roux. It's funny that I've never actually used it for anything.

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #1,743 of 3,876
Arrowroot is a particularly good thickener for stir-fries, in place of cornstarch. It's equally hard to dissolve so it's best to whisk it into a bit of the liquid first.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,744 of 3,876
Quote:

I've read about that. From what I understand arrowroot will result in a clear (rather than translucent, like cornstarch) sauce and doesn't set as readily when refrigerated.

I'll also have to try my hand at making roux. It's funny that I've never actually used it for anything.

That is true, if you have a really wonderfully colored fruit sauce, arrowroot is a good send for that colour :D 

ANd OMG you don't use roux... HOW DO YOU MAKE SAUCES xD 

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,745 of 3,876
Quote:
That is true, if you have a really wonderfully colored fruit sauce, arrowroot is a good send for that colour :D 

ANd OMG you don't use roux... HOW DO YOU MAKE SAUCES xD 

Using magic, necromancy, and various incantations. 
smile.gif

In other news, I'm currently making spiced cider at my uncle's house. After spending 15 minutes searching for various cooking hardware, I've finally got all the ingredients in the pot. The last time I made cider on this stovetop it took forever for some reason (just wouldn't boil), so hopefully that won't happen again.

There are many variations, but I'm just going with the traditional:

1 tsp allspice
1 tsp whole cloves
3 or 4 cinnamon sticks
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 gal apple cider

Throw it in a pot and boil, then strain out the cloves, cinnamon sticks, and apple particulate matter that floats to the top. Some people use nutmeg, but a couple people in my family don't like it, so I've omitted it. I suppose you'd use a teaspoon of that as well if you wanted it.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,746 of 3,876
Hey, Argyris--
Thanks for the spiced cider recipe (is this the same as mulled cider?).
I'm going to make your recipe some time soon. Like maybe this weekend.
:)

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,747 of 3,876
Quote:
Hey, Argyris--
Thanks for the spiced cider recipe (is this the same as mulled cider?).
I'm going to make your recipe some time soon. Like maybe this weekend.
:)

I think so. From what I understand, mulled just means it's heated and has had spices and sugar added to it.

I forgot to mention that this recipe assumes a somewhat sour cider to start with. If you're starting with a sweeter product, you might want to cut the brown sugar a bit.

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #1,748 of 3,876
Quote:
I think so. From what I understand, mulled just means it's heated and has had spices and sugar added to it.

I forgot to mention that this recipe assumes a somewhat sour cider to start with. If you're starting with a sweeter product, you might want to cut the brown sugar a bit.

mmm Sour Cider... sounds delcious to be honest! Although I enjoy Apple Cider Vinegar tea so... maybe I should just shut my mouth :D

Also... totally not food realted, but I eq'd a mid bass hump in my Xb700s and sadly I might be a Mid over Sub bass guy :[, as The Others sound great with a little more mid than I was used to >.> not to say MEGA Sub is bad but... eq'ing for mids is well... a good idea for the Xb700s >.>

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,749 of 3,876
Quote:

I've never heard of sour cider. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,750 of 3,876

Try a hard cider from the liquor store.
The mulled beverage can be steeped very gently over low heat for several hours, and can also be kept warm in the slow cooker once it is infused with flavor.
Do not let the mixture come to a boil as it may become bitter.
Keep in mind that the alcohol content will not cook out at a low temperature, if this is a concern.
Whole spices rather than ground spices should be used to infuse the beverage without making it cloudy or grainy.
If you have cheesecloth you can tie your spices into a neat little sack and drop it into the mixture.

For me,two bags of strong mulling spices, a few plops of bourbon, and a dash of bitters...
Heat for 6 minutes, if you haven’t tried mulled hard cider, you have no idea what you’re missing !

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,752 of 3,876
Quote:

It's not a specific type or anything. It's just depends on which kind of apples you use. The brand I've used is Zeigler's. I'm not sure if they distribute nationally or not.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,753 of 3,876
For my housewarming party tomorrow:

^None of that canned 'pumpkin' in here!

^Resting in the fridge overnight.  They'll 'rise' and shine tomorrow morning. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,754 of 3,876
^ I'm assuming the crust is homemade, too? I've had pretty good results making my own, and I've also had it come out tasteless and undercooked.

Any tips on how to make a crust come out well?

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,755 of 3,876
Jus' 'cause o' you guyz I am going to watch Babette's Feast tonight! And I shall rise tomorrow, too!

Your pastry rings remind me of Babette's Feast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back