how many of you guys cook???
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,711 of 3,876
Hey, Guys, it's lunchtime!

I just love to make this sauce and eat it over and under spaghetti.

I've made it without the meatballs. It is essentially a vegetarian pasta dish when made without the meatballs. The sauce is so tasty that I don't even miss the meatballs.

So simple, so good, so there!

The photo shows that I have made a messy version--sorry, I was so hungry. I love it so much that I must share it with you.

Here is the original recipe:
Spaghetti & Meatballs
Recipe adapted from Patrick McKee, Paley's Place, Portland, Oregon

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,712 of 3,876
Quote:
Breakfast: Fried egg on broken fried rice, hoisin pork, kale stir-fry and gochujang.

Its looking...at me....
confused_face.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,713 of 3,876
Quote:
Breakfast: Fried egg on broken fried rice, hoisin pork, kale stir-fry and gochujang.

Yes, I'm quoting this again. 
smile.gif

This inspired me to fry up a few eggs to put on top of the hamburgers I made today. The burgers were okay, if a little dry, but there's nothing quite like pairing them with fried eggs. Supposedly the very first hamburgers were served with egg, though I'm not sure how seriously I believe that.

I'd have posted a picture, except it wasn't really an impressive looking meal. And if you out there reading have never tried this combination, well you ought to. It's even good on the bun, which I didn't have any of today.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,715 of 3,876
That is funny. I was trying to figure out what to do with leftover meatballs this morning so I decided to make something like Loco Moco. With macaroni salad. Where's my surfboard?

I baked the rice, mushroom gravy, and meatball in a clay pot and then topped it off with an egg with a sidecar of macaroni salad.

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,716 of 3,876
I start the day with black organic coffee and a dark chocolate-covered almond biscotti. I usually wait until lunchtime for a proper breakfast!

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #1,718 of 3,876
Quote:

Yes, I'm quoting this again. 
smile.gif

This inspired me to fry up a few eggs to put on top of the hamburgers I made today. The burgers were okay, if a little dry, but there's nothing quite like pairing them with fried eggs. Supposedly the very first hamburgers were served with egg, though I'm not sure how seriously I believe that.

I'd have posted a picture, except it wasn't really an impressive looking meal. And if you out there reading have never tried this combination, well you ought to. It's even good on the bun, which I didn't have any of today.

That does sound good, as a runny yolk from the egg can add some moisture to a dry anything :D

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,719 of 3,876
I do something similar with rice and eggs. Something I break the egg and put it on top of the rice then using some chopsticks or something  similar i break the yolk and mix it with the rice not letting it touch the bottom of the pan so the egg cooks in the rice creating a similar moisture as the yolk but not quite the same.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,720 of 3,876
Clayton, you gotta stop cooking so often.  You're surpassing me in skill and quality! 
tongue_smile.gif

It's been a while since I posted here.  I had a pretty busy weekend.

I started by carving a pumpkin:

Then I roasted the seeds:

Then I drank some homemade pumpkin liqueur (no picture, sorry).

And finally, I made a beef stew:

Recipes here:
http://sixdrinkstoomany.com/liqueur-corner/pumpkin-liqueur/
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/01/hearty-beef-stew-slow-cooker.html
^Never tried a beef stew recipe like that before.  It's the best I've ever made.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #1,722 of 3,876
Quote:
I do something similar with rice and eggs. Something I break the egg and put it on top of the rice then using some chopsticks or something  similar i break the yolk and mix it with the rice not letting it touch the bottom of the pan so the egg cooks in the rice creating a similar moisture as the yolk but not quite the same.

Bleh I hate mixing raw egg and cooking it into rice. It makes the whole thing more simmilar or singular in texture, where as putting cooked egg on top of rice allows for a differance in texture! Egg makes all the rice stick to together and blends the flavors as opposed to creating a layer of contrasted flavors  and textures, it's one blanaced but almost bland textture and flavor and thats just my opionon

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #1,723 of 3,876
^ OMG. Bacon and anything...
What will they think of next?
And what will you make next?

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,724 of 3,876
Quote:
That does sound good, as a runny yolk from the egg can add some moisture to a dry anything :D

Definitely. The flavor and texture just works, even though it's a bit of an unusual combination.

It's also a good idea to put an egg in your ground meat when you're preparing your patties, as well as some bread crumbs. This helps the meat stick together and keeps the hamburgers from disintegrating when you try to flip them.

EDIT: I'm sure you've heard about this before. I keep forgetting I'm in the cooking thread, so people actually know this stuff.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,725 of 3,876
Quote:

And finally, I made a beef stew:

[lovely picture of beef stew]

Recipes here:
http://sixdrinkstoomany.com/liqueur-corner/pumpkin-liqueur/
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/01/hearty-beef-stew-slow-cooker.html
^Never tried a beef stew recipe like that before.  It's the best I've ever made.

I've had pretty good luck with beef stew in the past. Some people don't cook it long enough and thicken it with cornstarch, which doesn't work as well, IMO, as actually boiling everything down. Also, my secret ingredients are Marmite and Maggi. Especially the Marmite adds an excellent flavor to the stew, and that's pretty much the only reason I even keep any in the house, as I don't much care for it by itself. They wouldn't let me into the UK if they heard that, but whatever.

I also like to take leftover stew and put it in a pie crust. Trounces those microwavable pot pie things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back