how many of you guys cook???
Jul 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,068 of 3,876

Quote:
Great looking tart, is the recipe available?

x2, i think i need to go through the thread and look at all the wonderful food pics, tho im loosing weight (10 pounds).

Jul 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #1,069 of 3,876
Well I'm really no cook, chef nor baker but I certainly wasn't one of these kids that couldn't make themselves anything if it didn't come with microwave instructions.

Anyway... decided to try my hand at baking and making my own sauces recently. I've found that being able to do the basics with these two really does open up a whole world of food with just a handful of basic ingredients. I haven't even touched the surface yet with I'm shocked at how unaware I was about how much can be made out of so little.

I'm a man of simplicity and minimalism, always have been, I believe in efficiency & simplicity. Bearing that in mind, I've only really been making simple stuff, a few of which is as follows:

Crepes - Usually have these with sliced banana, drizzle of honey, sprinkle of sugar and topped off with whipped cream
Pizza Bases - Thin crust, thcik crust, stuffed crust (cheese or tomato)
Tomato Sauce - For pizza's and pasta bakes.
White Bread
Strawberry Jam - Always handy for toast
Scones - Usually have these with strawberry jam (as above) and whipped cream
Pecan Cookies - Pecans rule
Shortbread - Love it
Tortillas
Savory Apple & Onion - Over brown rice.
Sweet Potato & Banana Casserole - Very sweet, it's like a main course and desert in one lol.

I think I'll look into curries next.

Quick and easy to make/bake, that's what I like!.

I've also found that instead of following recipes gram for gram, cup for cup etc, that it's better to use ratios, i.e. for tortillas, roughly 3 parts flour to 1 part water.) Easier to remember than actual measurements, just a tip I found useful.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #1,070 of 3,876

Quote:
Sounds great!  Got room at the table?
Happy 4th !

Thanks Kevin!  It was.  And the dill potato salad also got some old smelly gorganzola crumbles after I read such a recipe in the WSJ. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #1,071 of 3,876
I haven't posted here for a while, so here is a leftover portion of last night's spaghetti pomodoro verdura:

There was some barbecue chicken to go with it but we ate it all 
redface.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #1,077 of 3,876
been a while since I posted here..

made a spinage risotto yesterday and had some smoked mackerel left;

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #1,078 of 3,876

Quote:
I haven't posted here for a while, so here is a leftover portion of last night's spaghetti pomodoro verdura:

There was some barbecue chicken to go with it but we ate it all 
redface.gif

looks very taste.
I see tomatoes, courgette, black olives. What do you use to season this? (I think I also see some grated cheese)

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #1,079 of 3,876

Quote:
looks very taste.
I see tomatoes, courgette, black olives. What do you use to season this? (I think I also see some grated cheese)

Lol, I had to Google corgette to make sure you were talking about zucchini! Fresh and sun-dried toms, the olives are Kalamatas. Originally tossed with fine-grated dry Parmesan and topped with the fresh shredded stuff, now it's all mixed up. Lots of raw minced garlic, the dried herbs are a mix called Italian Seasoning. Salt and lots of fresh-ground black pepper.

Yours looks good too, very Dutch. I haven't made risotto in a long time, what rice works best for you? Mackerel is pretty strong for my tastes but I may like it smoked, I haven't tried it that way.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #1,080 of 3,876

Quote:

Lol, I had to Google corgette to make sure you were talking about zucchini! Fresh and sun-dried toms, the olives are Kalamatas. Originally tossed with fine-grated dry Parmesan and topped with the fresh shredded stuff, now it's all mixed up. Lots of raw minced garlic, the dried herbs are a mix called Italian Seasoning. Salt and lots of fresh-ground black pepper.

Yours looks good too, very Dutch. I haven't made risotto in a long time, what rice works best for you? Mackerel is pretty strong for my tastes but I may like it smoked, I haven't tried it that way.

Ah, yes, zuchini. Sound and looks good, I think I'll make it one of these days. I'm always interested in nice Italian vegi or fish dishes (the girl eats no meat). I love working with raw garlic; I regularly use it together with a good quality olive oil to flavor the pasta a bit after it's cooked and resting some minutes.

Risotto is one of my favorites in Italian kitchen; relaxing to make, endless varieties possible and fantastic to eat when made properly.
I use vermouth in stead of white wine in many cases, always parmezan cheese.

From what I've tried, I liked this arborio rice the mostt:

Smoked (cold) mackeral is eaten a lot here, even supermarkets have it. I've eaten 'fresh' baked mackerel once, didn't like it much. Smokey tastes at least as strong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back