how many of you guys cook???
Mar 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #902 of 3,876
I always liked watching cooking shows even while growing up, bit wasn't until the last couple of years that I really started trying to cook and bake actively.

Some croissants I baked recently:

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #903 of 3,876
Quote:
I always liked watching cooking shows even while growing up, bit wasn't until the last couple of years that I really started trying to cook and bake actively.

Some croissants I baked recently:

Yep, me too.  I used to watch the Food Network all the time and started cooking about 2.5 years ago (when I got my own apartment) and I've only been baking for around 4 months.

Are those croissants from scratch?  They look great.

Old Pa-
Your meals look excellent as usual!  I wish I could just grab them through my computer screen.
tongue_smile.gif

Here are some chocolate caramel brownies w/ chopped pecans:

The top layer was a pain in the ass.  The batter is so thick that the recipe called for little balls to be flattened and laid on top of the caramel.  It's hard resisting a taste, but I must save room for chicken parmesan.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #904 of 3,876
I grew up watching cooking shows on PBS, favorites were Frugal Gourmet, Jacques Pepen and Julia Child shows as well. 

The croissants were made from scratch.  The laminated dough had only four turns makes a pretty flaky but well structured croissant.  Best part was beating up the butter into submission prior to the folding process.  After making the dough, the shaping and baking was pretty simple and the results were worth it.  Croissants aren't hard to make at all and everyone who likes them should give it a try at home. 

Quote:
Yep, me too.  I used to watch the Food Network all the time and started cooking about 2.5 years ago (when I got my own apartment) and I've only been baking for around 4 months.

Are those croissants from scratch?  They look great.

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #906 of 3,876

Quote:

Old Pa-
Your meals look excellent as usual!  I wish I could just grab them through my computer screen.
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks!  That last was whole wheat spaghetti pasta with my red meat sauce (beef, pork, lamb and mushrooms oven simmered for four hours) and meatballs topped with grated Italian hard smelly cheese and with crusty artisan romesmary/EVOO garlic bread and a glass of cab.

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #907 of 3,876

Quote:

Thanks!  That last was whole wheat spaghetti pasta with my red meat sauce (beef, pork, lamb and mushrooms oven simmered for four hours) and meatballs topped with grated Italian hard smelly cheese and with crusty artisan romesmary/EVOO garlic bread and a glass of cab.

damn, wish I could taste that meat sauce

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #908 of 3,876

Steak & Guiness pie, mashed potatoes with caramelized mushroom with shallots and fres thyme, mashed peas and salad

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #909 of 3,876
Wow these last five pics sure look delicious. I haven't made granola in a long time, used to do it with barley malt and/or rice syrup. I really like that whole wheat spaghetti, another Costco score (that's where I get mine)? And those mashed peas look just like guacamole, ole´!

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #910 of 3,876
Have been in this thread in a while, nice pics.

That last one......-sighs- 
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #911 of 3,876
The (vegetarian) girlfriend didn't eat at home yesterday, so I could cook with meat. Made something I'm not very experienced with; Chili con Carne. As i usually do then, checked a bunch of googled recipe's and combined. Ended up to simmer the meat, onions and flavors in red whine for 2 hours, before adding 2 kinds of beans. Maybe it doesn't look very tastefull, but i extremely enjoyed the taste of this dish.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #912 of 3,876

Quote:
The (vegetarian) girlfriend didn't eat at home yesterday, so I could cook with meat. Made something I'm not very experienced with; Chili con Carne. As i usually do then, checked a bunch of googled recipe's and combined. Ended up to simmer the meat, onions and flavors in red whine for 2 hours, before adding 2 kinds of beans. Maybe it doesn't look very tastefull, but i extremely enjoyed the taste of this dish.

We can begin the improvement immediately with a different  malt beverage.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #914 of 3,876
oOoO, you're not just dissing his beer, Heinekin is the national pride of Holland! 
It's a lot like another favorite of mine, Steinlager. Light, crisp, and natural
beerchug.gif

Anyways... I went for a carb-free fiesta salad tonight with free-range boneless chicken thighs, and a dressing of homemade salsa thinned out with EVOO and lime juice, garnished with cilantro from the garden:

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #915 of 3,876
Nice

Heineken, it's not the best pilsener offcourse, but I can enjoy it. Usually have Heineken or Warsteiner as the 'normal' pilsener

Users who are viewing this thread

Back