how many of you guys cook???
Feb 28, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #886 of 3,876

Steamed live Atlantic lobsters, some white wine, some lemon butter, risotto, sauteed king oyster mushrooms . .

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #888 of 3,876
Quote:
That pecan pie looks amazing. Recipe?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Bourbon-Pecan-Pie/Detail.aspx

I followed some of the suggestions in the comments.  I used 3/4 cup of sugar and 2tbs. of Maker's Mark bourbon (I think 3-3.5 would be perfect, though), and laid probably 3/4 cup of chocolate chips on the bottom of the pie crust.  I also mixed in some chocolate chips with the filling and used maybe 1.5 cups of chopped pecans.  The crust is homemade, of course.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #891 of 3,876

Quote:
I learned how to cook from my mother. She is an awesome cook who never follows exact measures.
I think once you know the basics of cooking, it's quite easy to follow a recipe you found online.

Totally agree with you there, I don't use measures nor follow recipes. It's too much of a hassle for me.
I believe it's like 90% art and 10% science for me.

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #892 of 3,876
Quote:
I learned how to cook from my mother. She is an awesome cook who never follows exact measures.
I think once you know the basics of cooking, it's quite easy to follow a recipe you found online.

Quote:
Totally agree with you there, I don't use measures nor follow recipes. It's too much of a hassle for me.
I believe it's like 90% art and 10% science for me.

I agree too.  I just learned by following recipes and I haven't yet come across one that was too difficult.  After a while you can pretty much guess what will be needed and how much of a certain ingredient affects the taste.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #893 of 3,876
I agree as well, but with the important exception of yeast-leavened breads. Then it's critical to follow exact measurements; even though there is still a lot of room for creativity there is also not much tolerance from the chemistry perspective for best results.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #894 of 3,876
Yep, you develop some feeling for the whole thing.

My exception is desserts/cookies/tarts, but then again; I didn't develop feeling for that up until now.

Bit of a late reply, but Audio Dude: that pecan pie looks absolutely great. I think I'm actually going to make that one this weekend; also have a bottle of Maker's Mark here.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #895 of 3,876
Yeah I am not a huge fan of pecan pie but with the addition of the chocolate and bourbon, as well as that scrumptiously flaky-looking crust it looks and "sounds" very tantalizing.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #896 of 3,876
I did a little simple baking last night, my customary honey-whole wheat caraway-dill bread, and the latest version of TheAudioDude's grandma's cookies. This time I added raisins as well as chocolate chips to the mix, used flax meal+peanut butter+splash of peanut oil as a shortening substitute, and loosened it up with soy milk because I only had two small bananas. Still spectacular as always and quite popular with others. I've never had another cookie quite as "airy"; thanks again TAD, and give grandma a hug for me!

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #897 of 3,876
looks very good, as usual

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #899 of 3,876
Thanks guys, and thanks to my 20 year-old Betty Crocker bread machine, it hasn't let me down yet!

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #900 of 3,876
Quote:
I did a little simple baking last night, my customary honey-whole wheat caraway-dill bread, and the latest version of TheAudioDude's grandma's cookies. This time I added raisins as well as chocolate chips to the mix, used flax meal+peanut butter+splash of peanut oil as a shortening substitute, and loosened it up with soy milk because I only had two small bananas. Still spectacular as always and quite popular with others. I've never had another cookie quite as "airy"; thanks again TAD, and give grandma a hug for me!

I'm glad you're enjoying the recipe.  Its been my favorite cookie since I was a kid because of the airiness and how soft it is.

Now, I just need my grandpa's creme brulee recipe and I'll really impress you people.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back