how many of you guys cook???
Mar 12, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,556 of 3,876

Made some tea eggs for breakfast (steep tea, take some to drink but leave enough to boil eggs in), turn up the heat and add chopped ginger, a little black pepper, and a little honey, then drop in the eggs and cook for six minutes. Remove eggs and plunge into ice water, switch off the heat. Peel eggs and put them back into the tea for at least one hour, then eat the eggs with Sriracha or chili garlic.

That is a very cool recipe!  Creative. Thanks for sharing it.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #3,557 of 3,876

That is a very cool recipe!  Creative. Thanks for sharing it.

Just make sure the eggs are really softboiled when you drop them in so the yolk won't end up too powdery after infusing flavor into the white 
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3,558 of 3,876

I've been working on how to make basic sauces. I made a wine reduction butter sauce, using the drippings left after I finished pan searing the meat. I let the wine simmer with some rosemary and thyme before adding a bit of honey to flavor and thicken the sauce. It was pretty good.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,559 of 3,876
Been a while, good to see the food carousel going round.
Spring is in the air, time to roast a small leg of lamb.
Watercress salad is good with lamb, took 1.5 hours to finish the meat with cherry wood.
Happy Spring/Easter to all.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #3,560 of 3,876
Chicken lollipoop'd drumstick covered in the ever so wonderful Sweet Baby Rays sweet chili SAWSE. Potato carrot green bean and hot giardiniera, which is in a soybean oil so everything is coated in that too. Greenonion.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3,561 of 3,876
Shanghai style red braised pork belly again, served with egg fried rice.

There's still some uncooked pork belly left, so that'll probably go in the pot with the ox cheek I bought today. Meat coma, take me awaaaayyyyyy!

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #3,564 of 3,876
Amaretti biscuit base
Enough butter to coat the base
More Philadelphia (soft cheese) than I care to imagine
Blueberries crushed and whisked into the cheese
Enough caster sugar to remove the taste of cheese
Various berries layered throughout
More berries heaped on top
White and dark chocolate melted then basically splattered over the top

- A seriously delicious way to become fat and diabetic.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #3,566 of 3,876
Ox cheek, cooked in a roasting bag in the slow cooker with the standard mirepoix mix (plus smoked garlic and three crushed juniper berries). Very easy, very tasty, extremely cheap.

I served it with chunky sweet potato chips/fries and horseradish mayonnaise. I was going to steam some green beans, but forgot 'til it was too late. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I will eat something healthy tomorrow, okay?

I brought a knife to the table, but the meat was so tender it wasn't used. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #3,568 of 3,876
Nothing unhealthy about a piece of cooked meat in my books. Chips and horseradish = two portions of vegetables.
bigsmile_face.gif

-------------

I've been working and studying non stop for a few weeks and last night and this morning finally caught up with me. I couldn't get out of bed ... so exhausted.

I was craving some meat, which I haven't had for a few weeks. I broke down and ate some fried chicken and chips last night but it wasn't enough. Today I came home with a whole chicken (approx. 1.6kg) and made some samgyetang. Cleaned and stuffed it with rice (washed and soaked) and LOTS of garlic and ginger. Put everything in a saucepan, added water, salt and more ginger and garlic. Brought to boil and gentle simmer for 1.5hrs.

I sit here having finished the bird in one sitting and once again having forgotten to take a pic. I still don't feel that full, but ahhh SO MUCH better... I have the broth remaining in the saucepan in which I will add egg noodles tomorrow and finish up.

What do you all go for when you're feeling under the weather?

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #3,569 of 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do you all go for when you're feeling under the weather?

Simple chicken soup, my country's version. Start out with the recipe for tinola (just do a Google search, more or less same recipes), but I tweak it. The traditional recipe is meant to be a main course or side dish with a lot of broth, not just soup, so first difference is that I use bony cuts of chicken, like the stuff they remove when they break down an entire bird into separate parts (like the spine all the way down to where the tail feathers are attached). Over here you can get that for roughly $1.25/kg in the right groceries (that's roughly $0.75/lb). I lightly brown the usual tinola veggies plus a lot of carrot and  chili peppers in annatto-infused palm oil or butter with a few drops of sesame oil, set aside, then brown the chicken. I then pour in water, season with a little salt and a lot of black pepper, toss the chili back in; after that I kill the heat then toss the other veggies back in, and in a few minutes kill the heat and serve it in a ceramic bowl still bubbling and then drop an egg into it topped with some LKK chili garlic oil. If I take this when I have a cold it clears my nostrils within an hour.

Alternately if I'm well enough to cook something more sophisticated it would be tom yum, and loaded with a lot of chili. If only Naga Viper was easier to find locally then I'd probably need just one for every 1L of broth.

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,570 of 3,876

Simple chicken soup, my country's version. Start out with the recipe for tinola (just do a Google search, more or less same recipes), but I tweak it. The traditional recipe is meant to be a main course or side dish with a lot of broth, not just soup, so first difference is that I use bony cuts of chicken, like the stuff they remove when they break down an entire bird into separate parts (like the spine all the way down to where the tail feathers are attached). Over here you can get that for roughly $1.25/kg in the right groceries (that's roughly $0.75/lb). I lightly brown the usual tinola veggies plus a lot of carrot and  chili peppers in annatto-infused palm oil or butter with a few drops of sesame oil, set aside, then brown the chicken. I then pour in water, season with a little salt and a lot of black pepper, toss the chili back in; after that I kill the heat then toss the other veggies back in, and in a few minutes kill the heat and serve it in a ceramic bowl still bubbling and then drop an egg into it topped with some LKK chili garlic oil. If I take this when I have a cold it clears my nostrils within an hour.

Alternately if I'm well enough to cook something more sophisticated it would be tom yum, and loaded with a lot of chili. If only Naga Viper was easier to find locally then I'd probably need just one for every 1L of broth.

Those two dishes look very appealing. Think I will make a tinola (or some form of it) over the weekend or this week. There is something about chicken soup that feels so right when one is feeling weak.

One thing about chicken which I never gave thought to, was how different the bird looks around the world. I bought a whole bird while in China, and they were generally leaner and smaller. The neck and legs are sold attached, though you can ask the butcher to remove them. The UK the bird is much larger. I put it down to the mechanisation + breeding process being a little further ahead here... though the variations of breed will also be factor. My tastebuds were not sophisticated to notice any difference in price.

I did appreciate the fresh seafood that was available in supermarkets over there. Fruits on offer in were limited to those in season - mostly apples at that time. It will be interesting to see if this trend starts changing.

I understand that Britain has excellent seafood produce, but a lot is sold overseas :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back