how many of you guys cook???
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,542 of 3,876
American Waffles.
I prefer Belgian Waffles; however,
this will do for now.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #3,544 of 3,876
I just finished watching the second episode of Cooked. It's much better than the first and has some great history of and insights into the food industry. Everyone should watch this.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #3,545 of 3,876
I made a roast chicken and cornbread stuffing this evening. The chicken baked at 218 C / 425 F for 70 minutes. It turned out very moist and flavorful. Although the skin didn't get as brown and crisp as I would have liked it, it was still very tasty.

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #3,546 of 3,876
Mushrooms Chaliapin (or Shalyapin) tonight. A dish named after, and apparently invented by, the great Russian operatic singer and bon viveur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feodor_Chaliapin

It is in 4 layers.
1. Vermicelli or tagliolini pasta, cooked, drained, then coated in butter and seasoned with salt & pepper.
2. Mushrooms and onions/shallots, sauteed 'til soft, then taken off the heat and mixed with sour cream.
3. Boiled or roast ham, chopped fine or shredded.
4. Cheese, grated and sprinkled on top. I use a mixture of cheddar (for flavour) and mozzarella (for texture).

Assemble it in layers, from pasta at the bottom to cheese on top, then grill 'til the cheese is bubbling golden brown. Serve it with chopped parsley on top (or chives, which is what I had available this time).

Proper rich, hearty, comfort food.

Chaliapin liked his food and drink, it would seem, as there is a hot chocolate recipe (cocoa, vodka, coffee liqueur & whipped cream) that is at least named after him.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3,547 of 3,876
I've never even heard of such a concoction :eek: - sounds fascinating not to mention seriously satiating.

Tonight I went with mini kimchi burgers and tamanegi kakiage (たまねぎ かきあげ) - sort of tempura onion rings - with grated daikon and ginger for in the dipping sauce.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #3,548 of 3,876
I've never even heard of such a concoction
eek.gif
- sounds fascinating not to mention seriously satiating.

My dad found the recipe in an old Times or Telegraph colour supplement of Russian recipes when he was having a clearout of old boxes of magazines and books. If he hadn't idly leafed through it, it would have ended up in the bin.

Chaliapin was an enthusiastic mushroom hunter in his spare time and while you could use something exotic and foraged, the rest of the ingredients are rich enough that bog-standard white or chestnut mushrooms will do just fine.

It is rich, so not something to have too often for the sake of your arteries, but ideal for a chilly Winter's evening. You could probably omit the ham, for a vegetarian version, and it would still be pretty decent.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #3,551 of 3,876
I have not, but it looks damn fine. It will have to go onto the to-do list. Cheers.

Last night I roasted the sesame seeds until they just started to pop - as per instruction. It makes the sesame sauce very dark, too dark. Next time I will skip the roasting and go straight to grinding in mortar and pestle, on recommendation from a friend who does this dish all the time.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,552 of 3,876
I've been renovating my kitchen for months.  I love to cook, and it's been a struggle not having a functional kitchen.  But I must say, I've come to really appreciate alternative methods.... I've cooked over wood fires, used the BBQ far beyond what I thought was possible, and have amassed quite a collection of really neat camping / backpacking stoves.  The other day, I got to the point where I hooked my range back up... and it felt kind of cheap to cook on it.  Four burners is like a luxury, and makes it too easy.  

BBQ nachos rock.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,555 of 3,876

Made some tea eggs for breakfast (steep tea, take some to drink but leave enough to boil eggs in), turn up the heat and add chopped ginger, a little black pepper, and a little honey, then drop in the eggs and cook for six minutes. Remove eggs and plunge into ice water, switch off the heat. Peel eggs and put them back into the tea for at least one hour, then eat the eggs with Sriracha or chili garlic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back