how many of you guys cook???
Jan 2, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #572 of 3,876
I did a little bit of cooking for New Years since we had some guests over. I did the previous dish of scallops with cheese sauce sans chili oil.

I decided not to sear them and rather just lets them sit in a hot mixture of olive oil and butter for around 5-10 minutes. There was plenty of oil in the pan so it didn't overcook them rather it gave them more flavor.
Also with the cheese I did a combination of cave aged Gruyere (my favorite) and baby Swiss (for texture). It didn't turn out as well as I anticipated. The gruyere is too textured for making a sauce. It melted but it still had the almost granular texture of a hard cheese. The baby Swiss did help balance it out a bit.
Overall it tasted great though. Many people complemented me on it. It was 20 scallops (HUGE scallops), I put 19 on them on an oval shaped plate then put one centered on top of the bunch. Garnished the plate with paprika. I would have taken a picture if they hadn't disappeared so quickly. 
There were 20 scallops and 30+ people. Would have gotten more but 20 scallops = 2 1/3 pound at $12 a pound. Not exactly trough food.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #573 of 3,876
Labatt Blue is a 5% abv pale lager,I find it does not have a particular hop character like some premium pilsners.
It is among the top brands in upstate New York.
Moreover, Labatt Blue remains the best selling Canadian beer in the world based upon worldwide sales.
I've drank Blue since my teen years in the '70s,when everyone up here went for Molson Canadian.
You just have to drink the beer that agrees with you and has no morning after effects.
It is an old school,blue collar beer.
I just like my 'suitcase' (24-cans in a carry case) of Blue.
Fits perfectly in my fridge and the cans chill down so quickly.
When the mood strikes,I can knock them back and feel great doing it!
Enjoy your beer...

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #574 of 3,876
I'm from Holland, so for me; Heineken (although there will be many Dutchman dissagreeing with me on that)

otherwise, German Warsteiner

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #575 of 3,876
Jan 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #576 of 3,876
I know I know grokit:)

Just couldn't resist

I also cook with beer by the way. A nice beef stewing pot with dark stout beer (guiness f.e.), or marinating meat in beer. Mussels cooked with a nice triple Belgian.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #577 of 3,876
I'd love to try some Guiness from across the pond. I hear it is different and much better than the stuff we have over here...which isn't too bad to begin with.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #578 of 3,876
Iced pumpkin cookies (I had to resort to canned pumpkin because pumpkin season is over...
redface.gif
)

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #579 of 3,876
Looks good. I love iced pumpkin cookies.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #581 of 3,876
I haven't got a clue what iced pumpkin cookies are, but they sure look nice Dude, as always. You Americans have more 'cookie experience' than me, you're the 'cookie masters'.

Do you make oatmeal cookies sometimes, Dude? Going to make that next week.

@Arm, Guinness from the vessel is very nice, it's not for everybody but I love it

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #582 of 3,876
Pumpkin cookies are a soft, cake like cookie made with...well...pumpkin...lol...the ones my mom makes, she adds orange zest to the batter and the icing is orange flavored too. So good.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #583 of 3,876
Quote:
I haven't got a clue what iced pumpkin cookies are, but they sure look nice Dude, as always. You Americans have more 'cookie experience' than me, you're the 'cookie masters'.

Thanks!  Since I've conquered cookies, I think my next baking adventure will be tiramisu.
tongue_smile.gif

Nope, the only cookies I've made are banana, Italian, and pumpkin.  I've only started baking regularly in the past few months.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #585 of 3,876

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!  Since I've conquered cookies, I think my next baking adventure will be tiramisu.
tongue_smile.gif

Nope, the only cookies I've made are banana, Italian, and pumpkin.  I've only started baking regularly in the past few months.

Seems like you have a serious cookie-making talent if you do that the first 3 times you make cookies.

Tiramisu is something I am more familiar with; I made the classic a couple of times (also made forrest fruit tiramisu once)
Make sure your mascarpone is from a good brand, your coffee is fresh made and strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back