how many of you guys cook???
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,656 of 3,876
What a coincidence, I slow-cooked a brisket en papillote (aluminum, to be precise, not paper) the other day! I first used a huge load of charcoal to sear a porterhouse, then when it was done, I seared the dry-rubbed brisket bricks and then wrapped them in aluminum foil (more like a pouch, but closed) with some BBQ sauce on an came back for them a few hours later. Pulled them apart by hand after cooling and I still have a bit of the meat for my sandwich today.
biggrin.gif

Mmm, most excellent.  Brisket is indeed a virtuous smoking meat.  Pork, however, is divine.

The beans turned out great, but didn't have as much richness compared to when I smoked baby backs for Super Bowl.  All that rendered porky fat goodness made for epic bean goodness.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #2,657 of 3,876
I'm actually comtemplating getting back into resturant work! 

While I would like to and plan to pursue computer networking as a major career choice, while I'm in college I'd love to go back to being a dirty grimy line cook or dish washer. I miss the straight forward nature of the buisnes 

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,658 of 3,876
I got hungry for a hot dog but had none so I fried some bacon and had that instead. I slathered some dill pickle milk gravy on the buns. Yum.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2,659 of 3,876
  I'm actually comtemplating getting back into resturant work! 

While I would like to and plan to pursue computer networking as a major career choice, while I'm in college I'd love to go back to being a dirty grimy line cook or dish washer. I miss the straight forward nature of the buisnes 

Definitely do it while you're young.

I could always cook well, and wondered all my life, "how well?"  After working in tech for 10+ years, I had a 30's-life "crisis", quit my job, went to culinary school, graduated top of my class, then worked in a litany of fine dining restaurants for over a year.

The life is hard, full of BS, idiot people, awesome people, hippies, benevolent chefs, dckhd chefs, kills your feet and back, and kills your available time.  I absolutely don't regret doing it, I look back at that time with a smile and a "whoo"..., but would never, ever do it again.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2,662 of 3,876
I thought grilling season was over last Christmas-New Year break,* but we ended up grilling through to Chinese New Year.

Actually, we were still grilling last weekend
tongue_smile.gif
(smartphone pics in low light with a hand tired from fanning the charcoal)

Aaaaaand now I realize that not only do I have a month's worth of photos to edit piled up on my cam's memory card, but I haven't finished about half a dozen chores, including some "I'll get on it in a couple of days!/Next week!/(insert time frame here)" favors for people. Damn.

*Cooler weather not the usual scorching and humid or monsoon rain/typhoon in this part of the world

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #2,664 of 3,876
I like when you post. Means there's BEEF!

What can I say, I love beef 
biggrin.gif
  From milk in my coffee/tea and cereal, to broth made from bone with bits of meat (like the cheap T-Bone stripped of the striploin and tenderloin), and then there's the meat for the grill. I haven't had the time to cook ribs though, but I should get back to it soon. We only had half a rack last month - seared rare then I left it on the side of the grill to cook through. The fat on it was fantastic! Prior to that it was marinated in orange soda, Worcestershire, and garlic. Normally I'd boil it in that and then deep fry them, but that was a think Prime Angus cut. Hungry me forgot to take photos of it.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2,665 of 3,876

What can I say, I love beef 
biggrin.gif
  From milk in my coffee/tea and cereal, to broth made from bone with bits of meat (like the cheap T-Bone stripped of the striploin and tenderloin), and then there's the meat for the grill. I haven't had the time to cook ribs though, but I should get back to it soon. We only had half a rack last month - seared rare then I left it on the side of the grill to cook through. The fat on it was fantastic! Prior to that it was marinated in orange soda, Worcestershire, and garlic. Normally I'd boil it in that and then deep fry them, but that was a think Prime Angus cut. Hungry me forgot to take photos of it.

I'll be honest and shame on me for not posting it,

but I went to Apple B's and got a Medium Rare 9oz Sirloin... wasn't half bad. Meat wasn't wonderful but the sauce was good as was the meal as a whole! 

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #2,666 of 3,876
  I'll be honest and shame on me for not posting it,

but I went to Apple B's and got a Medium Rare 9oz Sirloin... wasn't half bad. Meat wasn't wonderful but the sauce was good as was the meal as a whole! 

The best sauce I've ever enjoyed on steak* is this Spanish style tomato sauce with capers, chili, and a bunch of other stuff I forgot about. Tenderloin tends to not have a lot of flavor, and the gas grill easily imparts that "gas" flavor on it. Most likely they intended the sauce to mask that gas taste a bit, but the meat and a little hint of that gas is still there and they all actually go together really well. I always order it rare, and their chef actually knows how to do steak (lots of American-style chain restaurants here can't sear a sirloin if the crew's life depended on it), and this is a Spanish restaurant that specializes in (seafood) Paella, which by the way actually goes better with this steak (and that sauce) than the mashed potato. Best of all that tenderloin steak is only about $10.

*that I paid for, because the only time I got to try $$$$ steak with truffle oil and drizzled with truffle sauce, it was a friend's treat but I ultimately walked away thinking, "I could have bought a bigger but of Angus instead of a 6oz, $35 steak with fancy sauce."

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #2,667 of 3,876
Steak is one of those wonderful foods where it is not only possible to do it better at home than in a restaurant, but it extremely *likely* to be better at home than in even a very high-dollar restaurant. That's why it has never made sense to me for steak to be so expensive in high-end restaurants. I think it is *much* harder to get fish perfect, or to make complex dishes from ethnic cuisines at home like Asian, Italian, French, Spanish, etc. But steak? Easy-peasy: a good piece of meat, a good dry rub and a really hot grill are all you need!

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #2,668 of 3,876
Steak is one of those wonderful foods where it is not only possible to do it better at home than in a restaurant, but it extremely *likely* to be better at home than in even a very high-dollar restaurant. That's why it has never made sense to me for steak to be so expensive in high-end restaurants. I think it is *much* harder to get fish perfect, or to make complex dishes from ethnic cuisines at home like Asian, Italian, French, Spanish, etc. But steak? Easy-peasy: a good piece of meat, a good dry rub and a really hot grill are all you need!

I dunno I used to work in a 5star French Resturant... and the steak there was the best I ever had EVER, for $30 a pop it better be, but... I shameless ate many "half eaten" off the plates I was cleaning as a Dish Washer... at $7.25 an hour that half peice of sirloin cost more than I made in 2 hours... judge me if u like but it was tasty every SINGLE time

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,669 of 3,876
I wasn't saying that you can't get excellent steak at a restaurant, I'm saying that it's not that hard to also get really great steak at home. Places like Morton's, The Palm, Ruth's Chris, Capital Grille, etc make excellent steaks - and you can get even better steak at places like Prime, Cut, etc.

I claim that when you have the right grill (very, very high BTU), a great piece of meat (not average grocery store) and a really excellent dry rub (salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, cayenne, etc), you can ALSO create an absolutely killer Filet Mignon, New York, Ribeye or Porterhouse in your own backyard. Some of the pics in this thread certainly seem to back-up my claim!! :wink:

When we're doing something really special, we buy a whole beef tenderloin, then cut our own Filets. Everyone gets an awesome thick chunk of mouth-watering meat!!

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #2,670 of 3,876

Also, for anyone who might not understand why billybob_jcv says this, look at it this way - those cooking competitions on Food Network and Bravo? They very, very, very rarely have steak. One episode of Top Chef where one guy served steak? They thought it lacked creativity. Even that other competition with just grill/pitmasters? Yeah, rarely steak there too. Still it's difficult to get right because you need the right equipment and experience (I always say practice on cheap rib eye before getting Wagyu or Chianina), and then there's that debate on the flavor of the beef vs the dry rub, meaning there are a lot of people who will see a recipe with anything other than black pepper and salt who would go ballistic even if it's just a tiny bit of some other flavor.

I wasn't saying that you can't get excellent steak at a restaurant, I'm saying that it's not that hard to also get really great steak at home. Places like Morton's, The Palm, Ruth's Chris, Capital Grille, etc make excellent steaks - and you can get even better steak at places like Prime, Cut, etc.

Better yet, steakhouses in rural areas along the freeway. Harris Ranch in CA and that place Bush Sr. goes to for his "Presidential Porterhouse." There's one in our highlands south of Manila near cattle and chocolate country (no really one province does both over here), plus that fantastic farm in northern Italy that has Cianina cattle and roasts the Florentine steak in their pizza oven or similar places around Kobe. Basically one that has its own cattle (or a farm that has its own steakhouse, depending on how you look at the chronological development) usually has the best beef. When we ate in Harris Ranch, my mom loved the beef because it has that "fresh" beef flavor, which isn't the kind of flavor you would get on meat that traveled too far from the farm (even in wet aging bags), kind of like the flavor of shank we use for broth, but it's a good kind of cattle so steak cuts are still tender even if not aged.

Heck I found a grocery here in Manila that has a striploin roast from Harris Ranch, and they cut one steak from it for me. Not really bad but it tasted nothing like the striploin I brought back to Anaheim that never spent any time in a freezer (bought fresh, ice chest in the trunk, then fridge at home until an hour before dinner).
I claim that when you have the right grill (very, very high BTU), a great piece of meat (not average grocery store) and a really excellent dry rub (salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, cayenne, etc), you can ALSO create an absolutely killer Filet Mignon, New York, Ribeye or Porterhouse in your own backyard. Some of the pics in this thread certainly seem to back-up my claim!!
wink.gif

Good substitutes for a high BTU gas grill of course are:

1. Cast-iron pan and a hot stove - they are not created equal as some have fewer holes, or poorly maintained, or some electric stoves don't heat up hot enough. I use a Lodge pan when I'm too lazy to fan charcoal, but the trade-off is this thing is a total PITA to clean in a country where I don't get steaming hot water from the tap. I have to soap it and reaseason the damn thing every time, since the best hot water I got is off a kettle and then pouring it (not like it'll have both heat and pressure to knock the meat bits off of it). Oh and bone-in cuts are also a PITA  on this if you don't have a big enough grill press.

2. A deep charcoal grill. A lot of grilles tend to be shallow, especially if labelled as "tabletop." Those are enough for most but not steaks that need a really high temp, which while grilling I describe to people asking as "hotter than Vulcan's d*ck." When I start the fire (I'm talking real charcoal here, not those quick-light things) I really pile them up going over the top of the grill, and once I have them at the right temp, I've already burned off about 1/4 of that (also they're irregular sizes), plus the newspaper under the lower grate. Some of my friends have an electric outlet on the yard just to be able to hook up an electric fan. I use this for bone-in cuts, but of course it's the cheap Charbroil one so no cast-iron grate to create those grill marks like on the gas grills we use for larger parties. Also, the nice thing about gas grills is you can cook each thick steak one at a time, eat all of it while still warm, then fire up the grill and just wait for it to hit the right temp, for which I usually don't even get halfway through a cigarette.

When we're doing something really special, we buy a whole beef tenderloin, then cut our own Filets. Everyone gets an awesome thick chunk of mouth-watering meat!!

One time I did that with local tenderloin, which was around $10/kg, so I paid around $22 for the whole thing (and got some leftover tips for salpicao); everyone who didn't know the meat cuts thought I was serving Angus because it's tender, plus I was cooking onions on the same griddle and served the steak over them. Recently though I just go over to one of the chain groceries, or a local butcher, and just have them bring out the large roast cuts and they get me center-cut steaks, primarily because my friends prefer rib eye, while I prefer porterhouse for parties. Why? Well, porterhouse costs less per kg than tenderloin, but I still get tenderloin...and usually the guys eat the striploin and the girls I lead to the tenderloin so they won't have to deal with a slightly chewier (or very rare) meat.
tongue_smile.gif

My friends are so into grilling that they wanted to grill again last weekened, but I was a stag party and they had to resched. Supposedly they're bringing over some Wagyu, so I'm gonna try to get local fresh (not aged) Angus rib eyes at the farmer's market this Sunday so people can see the difference. However if they cut them all up into 0.75in steaks before I get there, I'm just gonna get a tenderloin into 2.5in steaks, and wrap them in thick-cut smoked bacon
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back