how many of you guys cook???
Apr 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2,176 of 3,876
Quote:
That's funny!

It's not the beef I'm worried about, but the egg.

I never liked watching Rocky Balboa drink those raw eggs.

Runny egg yolks are one of life's simple pleasures!

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2,177 of 3,876
Nice Clayton!

Runny sure, but raw?  Not sure.

I got brisket burnt ends the other day and put it on some ziti pasta for lunch today.  

beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,178 of 3,876
Quote:
Nice Clayton!
Runny sure, but raw?  Not sure.
I got brisket burnt ends the other day and put it on some ziti pasta for lunch today.  
beerchug.gif

Beeeeeeeeeer!

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,183 of 3,876
Start with the sides...

Coleslaw,pickles,hot peppers

Homemade signature BBQ sauce,sweet onion slices,old cheddar cheese,saltine crackers,thick sliced white bread,homemade baked beans

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,184 of 3,876
I'd swear that you were from the south (of the Mason-Dixon line).
Have you ever made pickled green onions? That's something I'd like to try.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,185 of 3,876
I've followed barbecue cooking styles for years and brisket is considered one of the most challenging meats.
I have have been a judge at competition barbecue events.
The above meal was days in the making,I had to request the butcher roll up a flat brisket to fit on the small home made smoker.
Well worth the effort,there were four very elated diners that day,the meal was a complete success.

I used an Irish Marinade for the rolled beef brisket:
3 cans of Guinness,Tarragon,Parsley,Worcestershire,English Mustard Powder,Soy Sauce,Garlic Cloves and Scallions.
Set for 24 hours.
Dusted with John Henry's Texas brisket Rub.

On the smoker at 9:00 AM.
Mixed Royal Oak Brick and Lump Charcoal.
Used Oak and a small amount of Pecan Wood Chunks.
Off the smoker at 5:00 PM (205F internal).
Rested for an hour.
Brisket was 13in. long to start and finished at 10in. length.

Never pickled green onions but have pickled pearl onions,baby corn and asparagus spears.

Roy 'Honcho' Gregory - contest organizer and Rocky Danner - Head Judge Observer at Smokin' Eagles International BBQ Festival,Wheatfield,NY 2007
Winner here received an entry to the Superbowl of BBQ - The Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational Barbecue.

Judges tent,got to try some killer competition BBQ,I'm in there sampling !

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #2,186 of 3,876
Brrrrrrrrisket !

Ah brisket, I like you, but tri-tip wins my heart and stomach (omg brisket blasphemy right?)

While I would totally get down on this, I can't help but think that I would name this "carcinogen wrapped brisket roll" .

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #2,187 of 3,876
Quote:
Ah brisket, I like you, but tri-tip wins my heart and stomach (omg brisket blasphemy right?)

While I would totally get down on this, I can't help but think that I would name this "carcinogen wrapped brisket roll" .

I may be from tri tip country (California), but a perfectly smoked brisket is an amazing piece of beef.  Prefer Texas style, just salt, pepper, and a long smoking with hard wood as the flavor components.  

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,188 of 3,876
I think you've discovered (created) brisket craklins!
WANT WANT WANT!

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2,189 of 3,876
Charcoal as a fuel source is inert,and should not impart flavor,old school BBQ establishments use fresh glowing wood coals to keep the smoke flavor in check.
Wood chunks must be used judiciously during the first few hours,to provide an acceptable palate of smoke taste at home.
You can observe the light "smoke ring" of red color around the brisket.
The dark outer layer is called 'bark' and is a prized finish if done well and should not be considered dangerous to eat.
As for most substances the poison is in the dose,just don't overeat smoked or grilled food !

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,190 of 3,876
Quote:
The dark outer layer is called 'bark' and is a prized finish if done well and should not be considered dangerous to eat.

... and you have done well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back