how many of you guys cook???
Aug 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,578 of 3,876
I forgot the sriracha on this thing, but it does have wasabi mustard.

Pork chop, cheese, lettuce, salsa, wasabi 'stard, and Ranchero sauce.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,579 of 3,876
The day I'm tired of baby back ribs is the day I'll be tired of living life.
It is absolutely possible to turn out savoury oven baked ribs,if one cannot get to a smoker.

Process:
Foil line a baking sheet that has a wire rack.
Remove back membrane from ribs and here is the hot tip-liberally coat the ribs surface with unsalted butter.
Apply your favorite rub,which will adhere to the butter.
Pour some beef broth (or water/cider/wine) to cover bottom of baking sheet and lay ribs on the wire rack.
Cover the ribs across with foil,sealing the sides,leaving only both ends of the baking sheet open (pinch a couple sheets of foil together in the middle if not wide enough).
Bake @ 275-300F for two hours (or more,depending on the size).
Remove from oven,take off top foil and begin to sauce the ribs,three times over the next final third hour,while continuing to bake ribs uncovered.
Carefully finish under the broiler at 300F for five minutes or so,keeping a watchful eye to not burn the glaze.

I used a local maple syrup producers house BBQ sauce:

Dizzy Dust BBQ rub = Beautiful Baby Back Ribs:

On the top rib,you can see how a thin,crunchy layer of glaze forms after careful saucing and broiling,along with a couple slices of white buttered bread:

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #1,582 of 3,876
Vegetables are in full supply now and I couldn't wait until fall to make a traditional cool weather potato/leek soup.

Method:
Rough chop a small bunch of celery,three leeks,three large potatoes,one parsnip and a few cloves of chopped garlic.
Sweat them down in a large cast iron pot,with some olive oil,butter and black pepper.
Pour in 3-4 cups chicken stock,bring to a boil,reduce heat and continue to simmer for an hour,until vegetables are softened.
Remove from heat,blend soup with a hand mixer or similar tool.
Add a quarter cup of cream/milk if you choose,sprinkle in some thyme,heat the soup through.
Garnish with a dollop of sour cream,chopped leek/celery leaves,chives or bacon bits.

Fill your pot with wholesome chopped vegetables:

Easy with the hand mixer,it will splatter:

Your reward:

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,583 of 3,876
Very nice, I haven't made potato leek soup in quite a while but used to make it often.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,584 of 3,876
Tonight, 4 hours+ spent on delicious chicken and sausage Gumbo!!!!

A few weeks ago, killer shrimp, red pepper, goat cheese, roasted garlic, and arugula pizza!

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,585 of 3,876
After the meal I usually make this

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #1,586 of 3,876
Tonight, 4 hours+ spent on delicious chicken and sausage Gumbo

Do you thicken your Gumbo with a roux or okra ?
Served on rice?
I cooked up a pot of Jumbalaya a while back,good if you have a crowd to feed or it will be in the fridge for days...

After the meal I usually make this

What kind of coffee drink is that?

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,587 of 3,876
Quote:
Served on rice?

I did a classic dark roux, I really don't care for okra in my gumbo. But man, stirring the pot for an hour until the roux darkens is killer.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,588 of 3,876
Quote:
Served on rice?
I cooked up a pot of Jumbalaya a while back,good if you have a crowd to feed or it will be in the fridge for days...
What kind of coffee drink is that?

It is a Flat White!Just espresso and frothed milk and very popular here in New Zealand.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,589 of 3,876
^ That's weird, I was in an Amsterdam café yesterday and a guy sitting next to me ordered a coffee/milk drink. He sounded like he was from Denmark though. The waitress brought him a latte and he had her take it back. He said that he wanted an espresso with milk on the side. I didn't see what he did with it after she brought it to him. I just dug into my oven toasted brie cheese sandwich with leeks and basil and ignored the whole coffee thing at the café. I do love coffee and milk.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,590 of 3,876
It is a Flat White

Ahh,it is an Australian/New Zealand interpretation of espresso and steamed milk.
From what I've gathered,the Flat White has less milk than a latte and is distinguished from a cappuccino by the use of Microfoamed milk.
I've stepped into those coffee shops where they make art designs on top of your beverage with that type of velvet milk froth.
It has a thick texture,like gooey marshmallows,so I now understand why the Dane in Amsterdam may have sent the latte away.
I'm no barista but found that:
"The milk must not be overheated to the point that it is scalded, as at this point the enzymes denature and the texture no longer works"
Tense moments creating that very fine foam,heh.
Definitely puts a Starbucks latte to shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back