How many of you actullay believe IE8 burn in effect?
Jul 22, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #91 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't seem to have worked very well with you! Let's see, posting my opinion in a thread that asks if people believe in burn in is now attempting to "shove my viewpoints" into other people's minds, but telling people in thread after thread that they have to burn in their headphones isnt?

Some might think that if Pepito has to use language in that fashion then he really isn't very secure in his own beliefs.

Go back and read my entire post, you are only reinforcing my point.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #93 of 208
i have to agree with seedhouse. although i seem to notice differences in headphones after "burn-in", this is not an objective test for anything. saying things are "widely accepted facts" is not a solid argument without proof that these facts are substantiated. hearsay is not really proof of anything either.

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #94 of 208
they do require burn in. i let mine burn in for about a week straight. i kept doing periodic comparissons between my IE8 and SE530s. After that first week or so of burn in i don't even listen to the SE530s anymore. except when i go to the gym then its strictly shures. but i love the IE8 after burn in. before burn in they were good like out the box but afterwards they are GREAT!

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #95 of 208
@Ed seedhouse:
Golly! Sir, if you want talk empirical evidence, please post the procedure and result of a
scientific experiment similar to one containing 10 dynamics IEM/headphone, 1 500 hr burned-in another,
completely unused and the rest randomly burned. Providing the identified burn-ed/not burn-ed
IEM/headphone as a reference, the administers telling them to listen to the other 8 IEM/headphone
and identify which ones are burned-in which is not. If the test want to be more authoritative
it can have two groups of participants: one consist entirely of head-fiers, the other do
not. The discrepancies in the result of these 2 groups can then be analyzed to see if
people who "heard" burn-in can actually recognize such occurrence in a different
environment. Remember, the experiment is to show whether people can identify
differences without been influenced by "mental burn-in" or the placebo effect, it's
not trying to measure change and then decide whether the differences actually
mean a damn thing.

As for human beings are fallible and we adapt to transducers and etc., no doubt
we do, but can you provide any explanation with empirical evidence that people
can listen to one transducer, change to another transducer, and upon hearing
the first one again just to find out they sound much better?

Please, blanketing this issue with "previous measurements prove that no change
occurred with burn-in" to me is bulls***, I can care less if the measurements disagree
with what I hear. However, if a test such as one noted above is conducted and the result
shows people cannot consistently recognize new and burned-in transducers, now
THAT can make me reconsider my beliefs and I think many others will do the
same.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #96 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly it doesn't matter guys believe what you want there is no sense in trying to make others feel differently from what they believe.

Could've ended right there.

Honestly, it's about as futile as religion vs. science.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #97 of 208
definetly the ie8 needs burn in,they sound like crap out of the box and then began to sound like $400 earphones after 100 hours of pink noise and music.burn in is not a myth,it is an evident and it happens,i dont know how the hell it happened BUT IT IS DAMN TRUE AT LEAST WITH THE IE8.PERIOD.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #98 of 208
Bah, I don't believe burn-in of the physical IEM components. I'm right there with you Mr. Seedhouse.

My mind "burns-in." I adjust to the sound in the same way that I have adjusted to the accents of two individuals that I work with. I could barely understand a word they were saying until I worked with them long enough. Obviously they have not changed their accent, but it took a while before I could make out their words.

IEM fit and seal "burns-in", too. It always takes a number of tries before getting the right fit and seal with new IEMs. Sometimes you push them in too far, not enough, or at an odd angle. Eventually they settle and you are able to whip them in and out of your ears. For me, this affects the sound more than my mind burning in.

And finally, there are times that I listen to music and it sounds crappy, then I listen another day and it's great. Mood has a lot to do with it. Not to mention that small changes in volume will skew perception as well. To those making comparisons with differing volume levels, your tests are greatly flawed. The mind is easily tricked, that's for sure.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #99 of 208
From the booklet which came with my Dynaudios some years ago:

"It is important to know that your new DYNAUDIO speakers contain newly manufactured moving parts which do not perform up to intended DYNAUDIO standard, until they are properly run in.
A brand new speaker needs a certain break-in time period in order to sound as harmonic, beautiful and play as safely as one can expect from DYNAUDIO products.
Everytime you start listening to your DYNAUDIO speakers, give them about 3-4 minutes warm up time in order to fully reach their breath taking musical capabilities and performance level."

Not earphones I know, but thought I'd throw it into the mix...

I know the IE8s improve significantly after a few hours burning in from new, as have my FX500s. But 200, 300, 400 hours....? Hmmm, I very much doubt it. The view stated above by fzaba, apart from his initial outburst, is closer to reality methinks.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #100 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by willw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the booklet which came with my Dynaudios some years ago:

"It is important to know that your new DYNAUDIO speakers contain newly manufactured moving parts which do not perform up to intended DYNAUDIO standard, until they are properly run in.
A brand new speaker needs a certain break-in time period in order to sound as harmonic, beautiful and play as safely as one can expect from DYNAUDIO products.
Everytime you start listening to your DYNAUDIO speakers, give them about 3-4 minutes warm up time in order to fully reach their breath taking musical capabilities and performance level."

Not earphones I know, but thought I'd throw it into the mix...

I know the IE8s improve significantly after a few hours burning in from new, as have my FX500s. But 200, 300, 400 hours....? Hmmm, I very much doubt it. The view stated above by fzaba, apart from his initial outburst, is closer to reality methinks.

Thank You. Argument over.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #101 of 208
yawn
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #102 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I believe in burn in because I've experienced it."
'Oh yeah, well science says you are wrong, gg noob.'

Well I agree with the yawn, because repeating an unsupported claim a thousand times doesn't make it any less specious. And "I believe in burn in because I experienced it" is just an unsupported claim, for which there is no evidence.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #103 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by willw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And who wrote that stuff? Their engineering department or their advertising department?

Notice that the burn in time quoted is three or four minutes, not hundreds of hours as is being claimed by various folks here. They are saying that there loudspeakers will "fully reach their breath taking musical capabilities and performance level" after three to four minutes, which is directly contradictory to people's claims about the IE8.

Sennheiser's staff, who actually designed and manufacture the things, refuse to make any such claim about the IE8, though they are not bold enough to contradict those who do, sadly.

Now a loudspeaker manufacturer is in a conflict of interest on this because if he can convince you of "burn in" you will listen to his system longer and be less likely to return it for a refund. To their credit most manufacturers largely resist this temptation.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #104 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You. Argument over.

Since the article quoted directly contradicts the claim of extended burn in over many hours, I suppose then you will give up this belief? But I don't think I will hold my breath waiting...

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #105 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzaba /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mind "burns-in." I adjust to the sound in the same way that I have adjusted to the accents of two individuals that I work with. I could barely understand a word they were saying until I worked with them long enough. Obviously they have not changed their accent, but it took a while before I could make out their words.

IEM fit and seal "burns-in", too. It always takes a number of tries before getting the right fit and seal with new IEMs. Sometimes you push them in too far, not enough, or at an odd angle. Eventually they settle and you are able to whip them in and out of your ears. For me, this affects the sound more than my mind burning in.

And finally, there are times that I listen to music and it sounds crappy, then I listen another day and it's great. Mood has a lot to do with it. Not to mention that small changes in volume will skew perception as well. To those making comparisons with differing volume levels, your tests are greatly flawed. The mind is easily tricked, that's for sure.

All this is true, in my opinion, but I don't think "burn in" is a proper word to use for these well known phenomina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back