How many of you actullay believe IE8 burn in effect?
Nov 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #196 of 208
mmm..hard to tell, don't know if its the burn in effect..but it does sound better to me right now than I first got it. (much better bass - controlled/tamed)

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #197 of 208
"For those who don't believe in break-in: could YOU please provide some evidence."

No. Why would anyone feel compelled to provide evidence for something that they don't believe in? That's the believer's burden.

"If thousands of people say they can hear a difference it would make much more sense to assume it's true unless there is contrary evidence rather than assuming it is false because there is no evidence."[/QUOTE]

No. That just means that thousands of people say that they can hear a difference, which doesn't equate to proof. Thousands of others might not have heard a difference and simply chose not to say anything.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #199 of 208
^ I don't think I did. So what of it? Wasn't he referring to testing conducted on loudspeakers? I didn't use the link that he provided. Didn't he also say that this was the only information that he could locate on the net relating to the issue, which happened to support his position? I hardly think that this is a conclusive result given that someone else in the thread cited results specific to testing conducted on headphones that did not establish the existence of burn-in. It's possible that I might be missing your point but as I said, I really don't care too much either way.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #200 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's as easy to be sceptical of headphone/earphone burn-in as it is to be sceptical about any other belief that is yet to be empirically proven. The onus is on the proponents of this phenomenon to provide compelling proof that it is more than a figment of their imaginations. So far, they have failed to do so. I remain to be convinced but to be quite honest, I couldn't give a rodent's rear end care either way.

In this post you are suggesting, if I am to understand you correctly but I may possibly be wrong, that we are unable to provide anything besides figments of our imaginations. It is to my knowledge that what the link in question posted is in fact positively common sense and relevant to the topic of burn-in being of the same mechanical nature. Whether loudspeakers and headphone drivers are in any way shape or form similar I am not qualified to say in this context, but I don't care either way.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #201 of 208
I think you do misunderstand me. The burn-in proponents have not provided compelling proof. Be wary of extrapolating from testing conducted on loudspeakers that burn-in therefore exists for headphones.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm sure someone in this thread stated that Headroom had conducted testing for burn-in specifically on headphones, which did not indicate the existence of this phenomenon.

Which of these results do you think a sceptic of headphone burn-in would be more inclined to accept? I suspect that you really do care. :wink:

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #204 of 208
Ok some facts i think we have agreed upon in this thread :

1. Physical component burn-in can happen
2. The time it takes is in dispute
3. Mental burn-in can happen
4. Physical/Mental burn-in may or may not produce audible differences
5. Saying "i heard it" is NOT proof
6. Saying "i didnt hear any change" is also NOT proof
7. Measuring changes in frequency response does NOT mean you will hear a change in sound
8. Auditory memory is very short (5-10 seconds)
9. After 1 - 500 hrs you will NOT remember accurately what a headphone sounded like to begin with

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #205 of 208
If people would not post extraordinary claims about burn-in there would be no problem. But when people say their ie8s turned from a piece of garbage to gold after 20/100/400 hours that is a little much. The burn in of large loudspeaker drivers is not very convincing, with the difference in size, mass, and materials between them and iem's.
As I posted earlier, the one datapoint concerning burn-in with ie8's failed to show any evidence of sonic change over time.
I am sure that the mechanical characteristics of the ie8 will change over time a very small amount. But 100 or 400 hours? I doubt it.
Sandy.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #207 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but I don't see how any of that matters astroid.

Point 9 matters most as it pretty much debunks anyone claiming they can hear improvements at 100, 200, 800 hrs, they are guessing.

I collected these together to demonstrate that 14 pages of what is frankly chit chat has led us no closer to establishing any kind of truth.

For the record i am undecided about burn in, the only earphone that has demonstrated any change from new was the klipsch custom 1 which when i first heard it i hated, a few days later either it had improved or i had grown to like it.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #208 of 208
Well I don't know about providing any random controlled trials to prove that burn-in exists but.....I speak only from personal experience.
When I was but a kid (about 13 I guess), I knew nothing about headphones, high-quality audio stuff, much less burn-in effect.
However, I used to listen religiously to my SONY Discman, with its coupled earbuds everyday.
One day, about a few months after I first used the earbuds, I remember suddenly hearing the same music MUCH BETTER. EVERYTHING sounded so much more awesome.
Then, I just wondered about it, but that impression stuck in my mind.
Years later, when I got ot know about Head-Fi and had a very informative and fun education by the many experienced and prolific forumers by lurking in these forums, I remembered the phenomenon that hit me when I was a kid:
-------> BURN-IN!

And thus, I do believe in Burn-In.
=)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back