How many music genres are there?
Mar 26, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only two:

Good
Bad

Hehe, that wouldn't do it for me, I only dislike music which has commercial/misleading purposes only. So it will be a hell of a Good music on my computer/shelves now :p

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's lots of labels for music but to me the worst label was "Alternative music" in the early 90's. Puleese!!

It should have been called pseudo intelligence hard rock.

When the term "alternative" was first being used in the '80's it just meant anything alternative to the dreck being played on the radio and was not any certain style of music. Anything alternative to the crap on the radio was "intelligent".

Industrial is actually an art movement about post WWII Britain and not a style of music.

I don't use genre's myself.

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, that wouldn't do it for me, I only dislike music which has commercial/misleading purposes only. So it will be a hell of a Good music on my computer/shelves now :p

Same here, but I've been doing fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seventh Subgenre of a Seventh Subgenre.

I lol'd. Honestly, I think there are as many or as few genres as you personally feel like establishing. In my case I group my music into a few broad categories i.e. classical, jazz, metal, rock, etc... However, a particularly industrious individual may see fit to assign a much larger number of genres to their music collection as long as they feel like explaining what the hell industrial progressive math metal is.

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #38 of 57
42. No other answer to this kind of question makes any sense.

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #40 of 57
I have 42 in my iTunes, but I would imagine some like deathcore, noisecore, experimental are not "real" genres.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's lots of labels for music but to me the worst label was "Alternative music" in the early 90's. Puleese!!

What about "progressive rock"? The irony was that it was neither.

See ya
Steve

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to Electronica, Trance, House, Techno, and J-Pop. There are a lot of sub-genres that confuse things a bit (Psychedelic trance, forktronica, etc.).

The thing that I've noticed is that musical genres in the past were just as numerous, but they were all totally different: jazz, pop vocals, country and western, folk, latin, blues, big band swing, bluegrass, easy listening,, r&b, soul, classical, rock n' roll... Today it's a million names for basically the same kind of music. What's the difference between Electronica and Techno? Every genre you mention there is just electronic rock.

See ya
Steve

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about "progressive rock"? The irony was that it was neither.

True for the most part, but what about groups like King Crimson?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference between Electronica and Techno?

Techno is very-well defined section of electronic dance music, actually. It'd be incredibly easy to tell Jeff Mills from a house producer such as Frankie Knuckles, or a trance producer like Sasha.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #45 of 57
Genres are pretty much endless. You can always just come up with a new genre if you want. Like someone mentioned earlier about deleting the genre on all their music, mine's the same. I have one genre that I tag to all my files, and that's "Music". I thought about going through one time and tagging them with genres, but I just couldn't do it. There's too many things that I can't really pinpoint a genre too, and I hate classifying anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back