How many hours to build a B22 for an experienced assembler?
Jul 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious as to how long it would actually take to build a three-channel B22 and PWS. I've been in electronics for 30+ years, the last 18 years as an engineering technician. I've worked on all kinds of electronics, mostly RF and analog, some digital, including hand building prototypes. (I've also been a line assembler) It doesn't look all that difficult, at least as far as building the circuit boards. Any guesstimates? 

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Board stuffing is just a small percentage of the total work (even though for β22/σ22 there are a lot of parts to solder).  The rest is highly variable depending on what you do (chassis work, etc.).

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 8
X2. Board stuffing always goes pretty fast. It's the casework that takes time. Also, casework expenses are more unpredictable than just buying the components - you'll find yourself inspired to go in different directions as you go along. Anyhow, give it a shot. The Beta22 is one of the best out there and having one would be a great reward for the time you invest.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Decide electronic configuration
Decide physical layout
Check documentation
Check tools
Draw enclosure / casework
Make parts list
Find source for parts
Order parts (including transformer, casework, volume control, sockets, wire... right down to ever screw and washer)
Check parts when they arrive
Prepare for assembly
Stuff boards
Check boards
Ready enclosure / casework
Mount hardware, boards, etc. into enclosure
Add wiring
Check wiring
Ready the fire extinguisher...
etc., etc. ...

What I am trying to say is that there is more to it than meets the eye. (I actually think several people with pro aspirations have been caught out by the amount of time involved and hence how little money they made when building for others).

As has been said a lot will depend upon your chosen configuration and the casework. But you have the right background for the tasks, so if you don't mind the time then have a go... a well built 22 is certainly a damn fine amplifier.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
X2. Board stuffing always goes pretty fast. It's the casework that takes time. Also, casework expenses are more unpredictable than just buying the components - you'll find yourself inspired to go in different directions as you go along. Anyhow, give it a shot. The Beta22 is one of the best out there and having one would be a great reward for the time you invest.

I kind of expected the casework would be the biggest timesink. (It almost always is for the stuff I build at work, like test fixtures). I was curious because another Head-Fier asked me a while back about building one for him, and I had no idea ot the time involved, although I suspected it would be more than one would anticipate. He's since given up on that idea, but I may still build one for myself, once my wallet recovers from my latest project.
frown.gif

Quote:
Decide electronic configuration
Decide physical layout
Check documentation
Check tools
Draw enclosure / casework
Make parts list
Find source for parts
Order parts (including transformer, casework, volume control, sockets, wire... right down to ever screw and washer)
Check parts when they arrive
Prepare for assembly
Stuff boards
Check boards
Ready enclosure / casework
Mount hardware, boards, etc. into enclosure
Add wiring
Check wiring
Ready the fire extinguisher...
etc., etc. ...

What I am trying to say is that there is more to it than meets the eye. (I actually think several people with pro aspirations have been caught out by the amount of time involved and hence how little money they made when building for others).

As has been said a lot will depend upon your chosen configuration and the casework. But you have the right background for the tasks, so if you don't mind the time then have a go... a well built 22 is certainly a damn fine amplifier.

Yeah, I've built a lot of stuff over the years, and what you list above is pretty much what I go through every time I build a big project. Of course, it's always for someone else, which often lessens my eagerness to build stuff for myself. A lot of small stuff I can get from work (screws, resistors, things like that), so I wouldn't have to order every last item. Wiring will definitely be my biggest concern (I was bummed to see the mobo for the three-channel version is no longer available - that would save a ton of work.)

Thanks for the input - food for thought.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 8
Financially, a B22 is not in my plans at the moment, having just spent a bundle on headphones and another amp project. Not sure when I would attempt one, possibly over the winter, assuming I can get the $$$ together. (And not spend it on camera stuff, which is where most of my money goes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back