How many heads of garlic do you use?
May 2, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador

And yes, the ice cream was very good. Very tasty in fact. It was just that after-effects a few hours later we all didn't like. Phew did we wreak that day. If you ever get to central CA, make sure to stop by Gilroy. They have everything you Can think of, but with garlic in it.

After you finish eating head a little further East and there is a fine little winery up in the hills. My wife and I have spent many an afternoon tasting and buying before heading back out to the Mojave desert. Spread over an afternoon with some food it can be an enjoyable day.

I also fondly remember buying tiny artichokes 100 for a dollar. They are so small you just eat the heart but ohhhhhh are they good dipped in butter or mayonnaise.

May 2, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by guzzler
here's a question:

Do stock earbuds become good when exposed to the... aroma of garlic

=)

I don't think so. Try large amounts of fine wine, that should help them. Try to drink just enough of it to have grape aroma oozing from your skin.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 35
8 heads is kinda alot but I haven't tasted your curry so I can not judge. I normally just follow the recipes from the "Food of India" book I bought over at Amazon.

May 2, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #19 of 35
That's insane. What is it with predominantly white British predilection of taking perfectly good curry and dumping god knows what into it to give farts the power of an oxy-acetylene torch and your stools the PH of battery acid???

May 2, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #20 of 35
i can only handle a really weak garlic flavour in my food, strong garlic makes me gag.... reminds me of the time when i was about 10 and i tried eating a raw clove, i really regretted that....

May 2, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #21 of 35
I find a quick burst in the microwave makes peeling garlic
less of a chore.
And for fresh methi leaves ..yummy
biggrin.gif

Another favorite ingredient of mine is galangal [thai ginger] just
so aromatic
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I do understand the tendency to err somewhat increase the intensity of flavors as time goes on.
Sometimes I just get a 'thing' about a particular spice or combination or some-such, and have to take it as far as possible.
Not always good if you have guests over who are not so hedonistic
in the spice department.

Oh another favorite is fresh turmeric root/tuber sooo different
and delicate compared to the dried stuff.

mm..a cooking forum anyone?
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
..hehe.

Setmenu

May 3, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
i've never made curry.... i wouldn't mind trying your recipe out too... send me a copy please. thanks

Ditto.
biggrin.gif

Maybe you should just publish the recipe in this thread?

May 3, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 35
I like those big-ass "elephant headed" garlic cloves. Two of those babies in a stir fry. When I have to use the normal dinky ones, I lose count stopping when I'm sick of the stupid skins.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #25 of 35
The classic way of getting rid of garlic smell on your hands is to wash them down with mouthwash, whatever brand you normally use should work fine.

And i gotta say, that's some really disturbing imagry, pinky

May 3, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
The classic way of getting rid of garlic smell on your hands is to wash them down with mouthwash, whatever brand you normally use should work fine.

And i gotta say, that's some really disturbing imagry, pinky

Ebonyks, is that a q-tip crisis or an Ety crisis in your avatar?
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #28 of 35
Ok here goes, please excuse the format of my recipe but I am not Fanny craddock... I'll do my best:

First of all you've got to make a massalla Gravy:

PART ONE
MASSALLA GRAVY

Ingredients:
For 2 people

2 sliced onions
8 Cloves Garlic Finely Chopped
6 Tomatoes Blanched, Peeled, Cored and Quartered
2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
2 Teaspoon Garam Massalla Powder
Seeds from 8 Green Cardomon Pods
8 Table Spoons vegetable oil (or ghee)
1 and a half cups (or 2 cups dependant on size of cup) of water
Pinch of Salt

Ok now you fry the onions, Tomatoes and garlic in the oil on a medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent and the tomatoes are beginning to go mushy (Approx. 10 Mins). Add half the water and simmer for 5 minutes then add the rest of the water and spices. Stir in well and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Keep stirring regularly throughout cooking. Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool slightly before pureeing in a blender.

Right that's your Massalla gravy made.... you can make a load of this and freeze it. It's an essential component of the curry and must be made individually to keep the curries consistent.

PART 2
PINKIES CURRY

Ingredients:
For 2 people
3 Chicken Breasts Chopped into Pieces
1 Cup of Curry Massalla Gravy
Half of an onion finely chopped
8 Tomatoes cut into Eighths
2 Teaspoon Curry Powder
1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
3 Teaspoons Brown Sugar
8 Finely Chopped green Chillies
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 Green Pepper, Seeded and Diced
Teaspoon Cumin seeds
Half Teaspoon Fennel seeds
Half Teaspoon Mustard seeds
5 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (or ghee)
4 Tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves
2 Tablespoons fresh fenugreek (Methi)
1 Tablespoon whole coriander leaves
1 teaspoon Garam Massalla
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of saffron

here's how to make it: Make a paste of the curry powder and chilli powder with the lemon juice. Dry Fry the whole seeds for 1 minute on medium heat. Add the oil and fry the onion and 1 whole green chilli on a medium heat until golden. Add the curry and chilli powder paste and stir in and fry for a further 30 secs. Add the chicken pieces and seal well on all sides. Add half the Massalla Gravy, Tomatoes, Pepper, and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring constantly. Now add the sugar and chillies and simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring constantly. If needed add more massalla gravy to prevent the curry becoming too thick. Now crush in the garlic cloves, add the finely chopped coriander leaves, methi leaves and saffron. Cook for a further minute and then add half the lemon juice, stir in and taste, add the rest of the lemon juice if needed. Serve with the whole coriander leaves sprinkled over the top. Season with salt if required.

Something along those lines.. serve with pilau rice and naan bread.

All the best.

Pinkie.

May 3, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #29 of 35
It looks good. I also want to try shrimp in place of the chicken. Put it in a late in the cooking so it does not get tough. I would guess there are a multitude of meats that would go good with this.

Thanks Pinkie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back