How many heads of garlic do you use?
May 2, 2003 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Years ago I used to put 2 or 3 cloves of garlic into my curry but over the years I now find myself using 6 heads of garlic (about 60 cloves) whenever I construct one of my famous curries.

I found myself using 8 heads (80 cloves) in todays curry and am worried that this excess of garlic has detracted from the balance of the curry. Thing is, the subtle aroma of the saffron, the kick of the chillies, the dryness of the Methi (fenugreek) and the fusion of the spices still find their way to my tastebuds but I have noticed that the after effects of the curry have gone from "a warm glow" to a prolonged session on the toilet accompanied by a very strong smell of garlic evading from my pores... when I shower I can smell pure garlic washing off my skin and the entire house smells of garlic after I have showered.

I just wonder if I am alone in this love affair with garlic or is there anybody else who fires 80 cloves into their dinner? If so, does the love for garlic become even more addictive... ie 100 cloves, 200 cloves and so on...?

I know this may sound pretty gross to some but it's a superb buzz breaking wind after a garlic session (orally or anally) as it reminds you of just what a superb curry it was... you can almost taste the air
eek.gif

Pretty strange subject but I need to know if I'm alone on this one?

Pinkie.

PS. X-Feeds are produced in a garlic free environment
wink.gif

May 2, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 35
Hehehe - that is quite a funny picture you paint Pink - I can almost smell you from here...

Anyway, I've never gone above 6 cloves - simply because i can't be bothered fiddling around with the damn things. I would not worry too much, aside from warding off vampires, garlic is supposed to be a great immune system potentiator. Enjoy your cloves in droves!

smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
roflolk.gif
roflolk.gif

Ill psot more when my eyes quit tearing up. I can't see to type.

roflolk.gif

You busy skinning your cloves then? wooohooo a fellow garlic head
biggrin.gif

Do you "pre skin" them or skin them at "Pan side"??? I prefer pan side skinning and then crushing them over the hot pan to extract every last ounce of freshness.

Pinkie.

May 2, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
You busy skinning your cloves then? wooohooo a fellow garlic head
biggrin.gif

Do you "pre skin" them or skin them at "Pan side"??? I prefer pan side skinning and then crushing them over the hot pan to extract every last ounce of freshness.

Pinkie.

No, I was laughing soo hard. sorry.

I do love garlic. I don't handle them, thats the wifes job. Actually I use this minced garlic from a jar. We do buy a couple heads to use as misquito repelent. I always keep a clove in my pocket so I can rub some oil on my skin.
Pinkie when you use that much garlic, you will never be bothered by most insects. I admire you.
Could you send me your recipe for curry? I have to make a dietary change and I need new foods to fall in love with. I use the minced garlic in hashbrowns, it would probably be better with fresh garlic, but I need to cut down on my fried hashbrown intake.

I asked Deb, and she prefers to skin them when she uses them.

May 2, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 35
I also like roasted garlic. After roasting squeezed out onto a nice traingle of toast or a cracker.

May 2, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 35
Garlic diced finely then cooked in butter. Then spread it on a split loaf of French bread. Cover each buttered side with mozzarella cheese and broil until brown and bubbly. This is good by itself or with a big plate of spaghetti. When my son would bring his buddies over to eat I can remember making a half dozen loaves of this and they would devour it.

Another tasty garlic treat is to lightly crush a few cloves then chop it coarsely. Thinly slice a lemon. Now take a whole chicken and slip the garlic and lemon slices between the skin and meat. Cover the breast thigh and leg like this. Now roast as usual.

May 2, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

No, I was laughing soo hard. sorry.

I do love garlic. I don't handle them, thats the wifes job. Actually I use this minced garlic from a jar. We do buy a couple heads to use as misquito repelent. I always keep a clove in my pocket so I can rub some oil on my skin.
Pinkie when you use that much garlic, you will never be bothered by most insects. I admire you.
Could you send me your recipe for curry? I have to make a dietary change and I need new foods to fall in love with. I use the minced garlic in hashbrowns, it would probably be better with fresh garlic, but I need to cut down on my fried hashbrown intake.

I asked Deb, and she prefers to skin them when she uses them.

I sure will send you my recipe and it will be the first time I have written it down on paper, Ive been making this curry so long it doesn't need instructions..... I'll send you the original 4 clove recipe
wink.gif

When you said "tearing" I thought your eyes were filled with tears from skinning a batch of garlic heads.......

Pinkie.

May 2, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I sure will send you my recipe and it will be the first time I have written it down on paper, Ive been making this curry so long it doesn't need instructions..... I'll send you the original 4 clove recipe
wink.gif

When you said "tearing" I thought your eyes were filled with tears from skinning a batch of garlic heads.......

Pinkie.

While you are at it how about sending a copy to me. TIA.

May 2, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 35
Man, I am glad I don't have to be anywhere near you when you whip up a batch of curry using 40 or more cloves of garlic. Man that would be foul. We got some garlic ice cream in Gilroy, California, which is the garlic capitol of the world, and the rest of the 7 hour drive home we reeked of garlic. It just comes out of your skin. I can't imagine eating anything with that much garlic. I only use 6 or 8 in my guacamole recipe, which is one of the best around BTW.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
While you are at it how about sending a copy to me. TIA.

I'll send it in a couple of days once I manually type it in.

Pinkie.

May 2, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Man, I am glad I don't have to be anywhere near you when you whip up a batch of curry using 40 or more cloves of garlic. Man that would be foul. We got some garlic ice cream in Gilroy, California, which is the garlic capitol of the world, and the rest of the 7 hour drive home we reeked of garlic. It just comes out of your skin. I can't imagine eating anything with that much garlic. I only use 6 or 8 in my guacamole recipe, which is one of the best around BTW.
biggrin.gif

Garlic Ice Cream? That sounds...............uh...............kinda good.
Don't forget that when you wreak of garlic, you will not be bothered by those little blood sucking creatures. (mosquitoes)

Thanks Pinkie.
smily_headphones1.gif

john_jcb, I'm gonna try my next chicken your way. That sounds good.

May 2, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Garlic Ice Cream? That sounds...............uh...............kinda good.
Don't forget that when you wreak of garlic, you will not be bothered by those little blood sucking creatures. (mosquitoes)

Glad you clarified which bloodsucking creatures you were referring to.

And yes, the ice cream was very good. Very tasty in fact. It was just that after-effects a few hours later we all didn't like. Phew did we wreak that day. If you ever get to central CA, make sure to stop by Gilroy. They have everything you cna think of, but with garilc in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back