How many headphones do you own
Jul 25, 2018 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sitting here, staring at my 9 headphones. I'm thinking that they don't all get the head time and love they probably deserve, but I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them. They all have a unique SQ, with a little something different to offer. Am I nuts? Does everyone keep this many, or do you start thinning the herd?

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 24
You're ok, don't worry. I've got 67 headphones... not counting IEMs of course. Obviously they don't all get the same amount of head time, but I really do enjoy their individual qualities, and just like yourself, don't really want to get rid of them.
I'd say I usually have 2 or 3 pairs out at a time on my desk plugged into the different amps. And I swap them with others maybe once every month. So yeah, some of them rarely get any use, especially all the vintage stuff. Bought them just because they look awesome :beyersmile:

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 24
I used to have quite a few, but getting a Stax SR-009 and a proper amp for it changes things. Now I am down to only two (any others I have I am in the process of getting rid of): the SR-009 for home, ZMF Ori on the go and the office. But soon enough I will get a KGSSHV for the office to use the SR-009 there.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 24
Four pairs A really cheap set of ear buds from an airport that are more or less broken. Bose noise cancelling headphones I have had for about a decade and they are in desperate need of having the pads replaced. Sennheiser HD600s which see the most use at home. Etymotic HF5s that are used at work.

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 24
Once you got into headphones it might get pretty addictive :ksc75smile: I mostly preffer IEMs and I have had really a lot of them over the years. Many times I've said to myself that one for home, one for commuting and traveling, one for gym/run (wireless). But been there many times like you having 7-8 pairs and still checking new releases. I have to agree that they're different soundwise and it's always pleasure to see how the same song sound quite differently with each one of them, but even though some of my current headphones/IEMs are used like once a 3 months... At least I have managed to settle with one DAP and two DAC/AMP. It's not weird... I guess :D :D

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 24
Only 3

Hd800s

Stax sr-009
Stax sr-009s

:D
CB33595F-CB17-466D-B93E-B8366994BC5B.jpeg 7A31D653-C78B-4125-BEF1-5C792FA83878.jpeg

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 24
You're ok, don't worry. I've got 67 headphones... not counting IEMs of course. Obviously they don't all get the same amount of head time, but I really do enjoy their individual qualities, and just like yourself, don't really want to get rid of them.
I'd say I usually have 2 or 3 pairs out at a time on my desk plugged into the different amps. And I swap them with others maybe once every month. So yeah, some of them rarely get any use, especially all the vintage stuff. Bought them just because they look awesome :beyersmile:
Yikes - 67! Okay, I feel a little better

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 24
I used to have quite a few, but getting a Stax SR-009 and a proper amp for it changes things. Now I am down to only two (any others I have I am in the process of getting rid of): the SR-009 for home, ZMF Ori on the go and the office. But soon enough I will get a KGSSHV for the office to use the SR-009 there.
I've contemplated selling them all in search of two end games, one open, one closed. I just have no idea what those would be. I have 5 or 6 that I know I'd miss. Plus if I sell them, I know I'll take a major hit in comparison to what I paid. Part of the program I suppose.

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 24
Once you got into headphones it might get pretty addictive :ksc75smile: I mostly preffer IEMs and I have had really a lot of them over the years. Many times I've said to myself that one for home, one for commuting and traveling, one for gym/run (wireless). But been there many times like you having 7-8 pairs and still checking new releases. I have to agree that they're different soundwise and it's always pleasure to see how the same song sound quite differently with each one of them, but even though some of my current headphones/IEMs are used like once a 3 months... At least I have managed to settle with one DAP and two DAC/AMP. It's not weird... I guess :D :D
That's just the thing. The individual characteristics are hard to let go unless I find that ultimate sound. And that ultimate sound would have to stand head and shoulders above everything else. Realistically, an open pair for at home, a closed portable for on the go, and a gym rat would suffice. Instead I have 3 of each.

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 24
I've contemplated selling them all in search of two end games, one open, one closed. I just have no idea what those would be. I have 5 or 6 that I know I'd miss. Plus if I sell them, I know I'll take a major hit in comparison to what I paid. Part of the program I suppose.

Yeah you have to audition headphones to determine that, preferably in a quiet environment since a noisy environment obscures everything. I will say that a well driven Stax SR-007, SR-009, and SR-009S (using a well built KGSSHV amp or better) completely outclasses all non-electrostatic headphones in transparency, detail, and realism (such that going from non-electrostatic flagships like the Audeze LCD-4 or LFF Code-6 to the SR-009 was a bigger upgrade than going from crappy gaming headsets to decent headphones like the AKG K7xx or Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro or Sennheiser HD 6XX/HD 600/HD 650), although that still doesn't guarantee that they'd be your favorite.

I'm starting to think that I might be the insane one, for only have having one pair headphone...

for now :L3000:

That's the spirit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back