How many have delt with audio hate?
Oct 31, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #31 of 39
i can't tell the diff tween 256VBR AAC and lossless to save my life. but, anything 128 and below has obvious artifacts for me, what with the shushing sounds and all. and no matter what the bitrate, a badly recorded track comes out nice and nasty on my rig, all the garbles and compression on the recording side intact.

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I had one weirdo even look me up on MSN just to tell me OMG UR SO LAME!! 800 on earphones, stoopid biotch, I should kill u. Die Die Die.

As I was blocking this person there were doing the waist of hd space dance. But the sad thing is, this person must have lurked at head-fi, picked me out, and gone through the trouble of looking me up on MSN, just for that.

If I'd had time I guess I could have had a little fun with them, but the spam was getting annoying. One of the reasons I don't bother much with my MSN account anymore.

I had one dude harassing me on a Quake 3 server about being on head-fi. No need to repeat what was said, except that it was an attempt at being the biggest a**hole ever, and as such, not successful (that title belonging to me by a very wide margin over the nearest competitor!).

It's pretty weird, but you do get the stalker types that find out as much as they can about you then try to annoy the hell out of you. Internet gives just about any low-life a sort of immunity to consequence, so all the wonderful qualities of human nature become all the more readily apparent.

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyRx7
I don't even bother explaining this stuff anymore, unless people are interested (which they inevitably aren't)
rolleyes.gif

This is most hilarious applied conceptual idea that we all go through, I suspect..

I know I have been there..it seems like more and more, I opt to share less and less..Now when some knob blurts out..
"hey is that an amp?"

"Yes it is a tube amp" I say back,

"Oh" usually is the last entry in that exchange

Oct 31, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I had one weirdo even look me up on MSN just to tell me OMG UR SO LAME!! 800 on earphones, stoopid biotch, I should kill u. Die Die Die.

A misogynist at work for sure...

Although many users here have thousands of dollars of gear, they had to choose you?

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I had one dude harassing me on a Quake 3 server about being on head-fi. No need to repeat what was said, except that it was an attempt at being the biggest a**hole ever, and as such, not successful (that title belonging to me by a very wide margin over the nearest competitor!).

It's pretty weird, but you do get the stalker types that find out as much as they can about you then try to annoy the hell out of you. Internet gives just about any low-life a sort of immunity to consequence, so all the wonderful qualities of human nature become all the more readily apparent.

I'd guess he spent mere mintues picking me out, probably because I was a gurl, and probably because I had those custom IEMs he really wanted, and I tihnk more weight is on the later... but after all that trouble, all he can come up with is that.

The same with you, to figure out which Quake server you're on, and what username you'd have... and all because you have the setup he wants.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx
i get the usual "these where HOW MUCH?!?!"

Yes, everybody likes that guy.

99% of people just don't care. They can watch a DVD on a $20,000 home theater one day, then go home and watch the same movie on VHS with their 23" TV (of course the contrast and color settings are way off) and not care about the difference. Tie them to a chair and start talking about MP3s vs. AAC, and watch the drool start running out of the corner of their mouth. If you had Avant-Garde® Trios in your living room, they never even give them a second look.

50% of people are just shocked how much you spent on it. (But Wal*Mart has XXX-brand for only $12.97")

1% are not only flabbergasted you spent that much money, but they have a hobby with equally outlandish costing things. And fail to see the irony in it.
"You paid $2000 for a pair of speakers?!?! If I had $2000 just burning a hole in my pocket I'd go and buy a McHoosyblaster bolt-action deer rifle with night vision scope and gold-plated firing pins. Tell you what."

0.1%. Find your headphones/speakers cost outlandish, despite themselves haveing as much as twice that amount of money invested in amps and trunk subwoofers.
"You paid how much for those Martin-Logan®s? They don't even have enough bass to make the paint flake off your roof."

Nov 1, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Cause even compressed music improves noticeably with good equipment.

I agree with this, and frankly, even on expensive equipment, I cannot tell a difference between decently compressed and lossless music. However on better equipment, I certainly find even low bitrate internet radio sounding better than on cheaper equipment, thus it is justified. I personally believe that there is only a 0.1% difference between the quality of a decently compressed mp3 compared to its lossless, at a 90% file size difference; simply not justifiable for me.

Nov 1, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #38 of 39
The8BitHero says:
Quote:

I noted how I prefer all of my audio in FLAC over MP3 for the obvious quality increase.

How can you go wrong. If you don't want FLAC, rip the FLAC to the new format.

The problem "may" have been the use of the words "obvious quality increase".

If you mean that FLAC is an "obvious quality increase" for digital archival storage on a hard drive. I would agreee.

If you mean that FLAC is an "obvious quality increase" and there is an "obvious" difference between a FLAC and quality MP3 rip. I would not agree with this statement.

Nov 1, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #39 of 39
Most people do not feel that the money spent on higher end gear is worth the extra 5%. To each his own. FLAC is a great way to archive CDs, but I don't think it is worth the space. I can not tell the difference in sound as most people can't. MP3 is more wide spread, so I use MP3s. To each his own. The people giving you a hard time, may have ABXed the 2 formats and can not tell a difference. It is not hate, it is common sense to them. There are tons of threads in hear and a lot of people who have said that they do not hear a difference between lossless and 192-256 VBR.

Head-Fi is a minority. If you go to a watch forum, everyone likes automatic watches better, but the general population will tell you that a quartz watch is more accurate and an automatic is a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back