How many gigobits does it have?
Jan 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GUNS

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if its just me but every time i mention to someone that i have a new "mp3" player (kinda have to refer to it as that otherwise they get confused) the first thing they seem to say is "How many Gigabytes does it have?!1q", mispronouncing gigabytes. Then if you say something fairly low, like below the standard iPod size (well around 30GB) then apparently its crap! It seems that these people rate music players by the amount of space they have nowadays? The same can be said about mobile phones, the higher the mega pixel count, the better the phone apparently! Anyone else run into the same/similar situation?

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUNS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if its just me but every time i mention to someone that i have a new "mp3" player (kinda have to refer to it as that otherwise they get confused) the first thing they seem to say is "How many Gigabytes does it have?!1q", mispronouncing gigabytes. Then if you say something fairly low, like below the standard iPod size (well around 30GB) then apparently its crap! It seems that these people rate music players by the amount of space they have nowadays? The same can be said about mobile phones, the higher the mega pixel count, the better the phone apparently! Anyone else run into the same/similar situation?

Gee...I must really have a POS DAP because mine is only a 4 Gb IPOD Mini. That's right...I said MINI. I have a coworker that thinks more space is better. Perhaps it is...I don't know. I do know that I don't give a rat's red bulbous purple veined ass either way.
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gee...I must really have a POS DAP because mine is only a 4 Gb IPOD Mini. That's right...I said MINI. I have a coworker that thinks more space is better. Perhaps it is...I don't know. I do know that I don't give a rat's red bulbous purple veined ass either way.
tongue.gif

I've only got a 60gb by virtue of the sales deal. I still have a 4gb mini too. Only real difference is being able to carry more of your music (or video) collection with you. I only do video when going on trips. Once I weed my CDs, I'm certain 60gb will be sufficient for lossless of my entire collection. I prefer a smaller unit for walking, hiking and exercising. I think it's a matter of needs and personal preferance is all, but I get your meaning. I hear the same crap about digital cameras all the time. Oo.. you must have 10 megapixel! Only if I'm going to do a portait size print to hang on my wall.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 13
I think people asking for how much space your DAP has is an underlying question about financial status/superiority--mostly asked by iPod noobs. With more space, it means you had more money to blow on the player, and more *legitimate music to store.

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm one of those people who has hundreds of gigs of music at home but my portable rig is just a 2gb nano. I rarely even fill that because I only carry around a few of my latest albums.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm one of those people who has hundreds of gigs of music at home but my portable rig is just a 2gb nano. I rarely even fill that because I only carry around a few of my latest albums.

Better than being one of those people who buys a 160 GB iPod classic for his entire music collection which comes to a grand total of 100-200 songs. My collection is about 80 GB or so, but I'm quite happy with a 30 GB Archos and having to decide what I really want to keep on it.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people asking for how much space your DAP has is an underlying question about financial status/superiority--mostly asked by iPod noobs. With more space, it means you had more money to blow on the player, and more *legitimate music to store.

I think this actually has a lot to do with it...

But, I have a 20 GB iriver H320 because using it as a portable HDD is priceless IMO. It's so nice being able to listen to music on the go, but then always having data backed up on it too.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only got a 60gb by virtue of the sales deal. I still have a 4gb mini too. Only real difference is being able to carry more of your music (or video) collection with you. I only do video when going on trips. Once I weed my CDs, I'm certain 60gb will be sufficient for lossless of my entire collection. I prefer a smaller unit for walking, hiking and exercising. I think it's a matter of needs and personal preferance is all, but I get your meaning. I hear the same crap about digital cameras all the time. Oo.. you must have 10 megapixel! Only if I'm going to do a portait size print to hang on my wall.

tongue.gif
Yeah...the digital camera crowd that spout more mexapixels is better really crack me up. I'm sure many of them get home and compare an old 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 photo they took with their 4 or 5 mexapixel camera with one from a new 10 mexapixel camera and get pissed when they don't see a difference in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back