How many folks considering Vinyl?
Jun 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #76 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never thought I'd say that, but I've found myself in that situation too. (At least for popular music, not classical.) I now listen to music in carefully constructed random shuffles. With pre-1950s music it makes total sense, because a record back then had only one song on a side. My iPod is getting me to think of songs as individual units like that again.

See ya
Steve

What about concept albums or albums from a lot of progressive rock groups (or post-rock groups)? Do you tend to leave them as albums?

Jun 6, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #77 of 81
I listened to progressive rock back when I was in school. Then I discovered jazz and classical music, and I've never felt the need to revisit my "kid music". But Classical music would fit in the "album sort" category though... I have seven iPods, each with a different type of music on it. My classical iPod is set to shuffle by album. The rest of them shuffle by song.

See ya
Steve

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #78 of 81
I guess classical and some jazz records might justify owning a TT. Maybe if had a lot of expendable dough and more space one might eventually find it's way on my "toy wish list". But for now that's definitely not the case. I was never a big prog rock fan and while I do occasionally get a kick out of listening to old Led Zep(Barry Diament) vinyls it's mainly for nostalgic reasons - once a year is enough.

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #79 of 81
Conversely I prefer listening to classical via CD or digital file because I hate the breaks that happen with flipping the record. Though the bonus to vinyl is that there is so much classical that simply never made it to redbook.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #80 of 81
There aren't as many classical vinyl collectors as there are popular music vinyl collectors. The CD format is much better for classical than LP was.

Me? I'm a nut. I have an extensive collection of classical on 78s!

See ya
Steve

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #81 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have digital files, CDs and records. I like them all

me too. i also have (recently released) cassette tapes. they sound like ****, but the type of music on them doesn't require much fidelity.

vinyl is a pain, if you can really call it that, in it's own way... but backing up digital files is also a pain of sorts.

i prefer my rega vinyl rig to any digital source i've had. why? sounds better to me, even if it's sometimes placebo. Also, I simply like records. What's wrong with preferring something over something else without having to intellectualize it or hold it up to the judgment and approval of measurement?? If I ever start talking about jitter specs or anything like that, pull me out of the deep end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back