How many drivers for Sennheiser IE 8?
Jul 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MadDog

500+ Head-Fier
No where I found this has triple drivers like Triple Fi 10 and SE530, so how is this compared to triple bros?

I am deciding between Triple Fi 10 and IE 8 because I already had SE530 and want something even better (?).

Anyone who can explain this shall be blessed...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 30
The IE8 only has one driver, but it's every bit as good as the other top tier IEMS. It's a dynamic driver, which is different than the triple drivers of the TF10 and SE530's. Dynamic drivers tend to have more bass than their balanced armature counterparts.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 30
The Sennheiser IE8 only has one dynamic driver per ear, unlike the TF10 and the 530 which has three balanced armature drivers. Dynamic drivers work different, and when of high quality are able to match triple or even more balanced armature configurations, and usually have a better frequency response then balanced armature drivers. in this case, the IE8 is one so it's up along side with the TF10's, W3's, Se530's, UM3X and the CK100.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 30
when it comes to price it totally depends on your location and where you actually buy the product... IE8 isnt always more expensive than the shure and UE.

IE8 is a dynamic type IEM while the SE530 and TF10 have balanced armature drivers. try to do a search before you decide though... they work totally differently... i for one am a very happy IE8 owner... amazing! ^^

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 30
Sennheiser is pretty amazing in making dynamic drivers as the IE8 sound wonderful.

From this pic below, it seems like the IE8 uses only a 9mm driver. Whereas Sony EX700 boasts a 16mm driver, IE8 are praised much highly over the sony. Kudos to sennheiser!
000963061.jpg

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser is pretty amazing in making dynamic drivers as the IE8 sound wonderful.

From this pic below, it seems like the IE8 uses only a 9mm driver. Whereas Sony EX700 boasts a 16mm driver, IE8 are praised much highly over the sony. Kudos to sennheiser!
000963061.jpg

Also such a wide sound stage coming from such a small driver. Also Sennheiser engineered the HD800. I want that baby.....
ph34r.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my region IE8.0 is most expensive of all +$60 compared to TF10 and +$120 compared to SE530...do you think it's worth it?

The IE8 might be more expensive in your location, 'Mars, Universe', but in Europe they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the UM3X & Westone 3.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 might be more expensive in your location, 'Mars, Universe', but in Europe they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the UM3X & Westone 3.

Yes they are
biggrin.gif
IE8's are probably the cheapest out of all of them in the UK. And @kwang411 9mm?! That's so small to create such a brilliant sound
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they are
biggrin.gif
IE8's are probably the cheapest out of all of them in the UK. And @kwang411 9mm?! That's so small to create such a brilliant sound
biggrin.gif

Aren't balance armature drivers about 5mm in diameter?

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess..but I assumed the driver was bigger than around 9mm to produce the sound I can hear.

Ok I got ya!
regular_smile .gif
I guess bigger isn't always "better".

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No where I found this has triple drivers like Triple Fi 10 and SE530, so how is this compared to triple bros?

I am deciding between Triple Fi 10 and IE 8 because I already had SE530 and want something even better (?).

Anyone who can explain this shall be blessed...
smily_headphones1.gif

both have a V shape sound signature. IE8 has more bass compared to treble, the triples have more treble compared to bass.

if your running unamped the 8 are a bit easyer to drive than the triples, i never loved them much till i amped them but the8 are fine without one (of course they do improve with one just not as much as the triples did)

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both have a V shape sound signature. IE8 has more bass compared to treble, the triples have more treble compared to bass.

if your running unamped the 8 are a bit easyer to drive than the triples, i never loved them much till i amped them but the8 are fine without one (of course they do improve with one just not as much as the triples did)

Well, not quite IMO. Triple.fis actually have both elevated treble and elevated bass (mostly midbass) out of the box. After burn in, the treble settles down and the mids become more forward, but midbass remains strong and becomes louder than the rest of the spectrum IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back