How many drivers for Sennheiser IE 8?
Jul 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it the new fotm to say balanced armatures burn in and completely alter the sound?

Haha! You know it's all about burning in that crossover and cable.
wink_face.gif

Anyway, the 9mm driver in the IE 8 is fantastically tuned given its soundstage and bass reproduction.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #19 of 30
what IE8 & IE7 have that most IEMs dont is the soundstage and of course the tamed bass.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 30
I agree for some songs they can be energetic, whilst at some points they can calm me down to a level in which I could fall asleep. It's quite cool. The soundstage is very good, but I just want to try some headphones to compare how it's like compared to a closed or open headphone.
After almost 5 months now, the IE8s have definitely been an awesome purchase. I did take a big leap though in terms of performance. I went from SE110/Bose IE to IE8...

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #22 of 30
i am planning to sell IE7 and try IE8...just out of boredom ...and IE8 have bigger soundstage also.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Yes I agree the ie8 is a fantastically done iem all around. If it had not been for my jh-13's I would probably be still listening to them quite often
wink.gif

Do you think you would ever get round to compiling a detailed comparison between the two?

A JH-13 vs IE8 thread would be a favourite for me and one which I am sure would invite some fascinating discussions.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

is it the new fotm to say balanced armatures burn in and completely alter the sound?

I still think they burn in...despite people rambling on about that they don't. I they just do, if a diaphragm moves, then the more it moves the more flexible it gets. It just works...

i am a true believer of Crossover, cable, and BA burn ins =)

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think they burn in...despite people rambling on about that they don't. I they just do, if a diaphragm moves, then the more it moves the more flexible it gets. It just works...

i am a true believer of Crossover, cable, and BA burn ins =)

But of course if you were right (and measurements say you aren't) then they would start to sound worse, not better, since both dynamic and balanced armature designs require a certain amount of return force to work at all.

How does merely moving something make it more flexible anyway? If I vibrate a penny will it make the penny suddenly become flexible?

Stretching or bending some things make them more flexible, but not all things. In fact it is known to make some things stiffer, and other things to just break.

If anything about a dynamic speaker driver would become more flexible it would be the surrounds which hold the diaphragms in place, which are bent and stretched in normal use. But since the surrounds are also requred to provide return force for the driver to work at all, then surely that would make the speaker work less well, not more well!

Personally I prefer to have evidence that something is true before I decide to believe it. and even then I only believe it provisionally.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But of course if you were right (and measurements say you aren't) then they would start to sound worse, not better, since both dynamic and balanced armature designs require a certain amount of return force to work at all.

How does merely moving something make it more flexible anyway? If I vibrate a penny will it make the penny suddenly become flexible?

Stretching or bending some things make them more flexible, but not all things. In fact it is known to make some things stiffer, and other things to just break.

If anything about a dynamic speaker driver would become more flexible it would be the surrounds which hold the diaphragms in place, which are bent and stretched in normal use. But since the surrounds are also requred to provide return force for the driver to work at all, then surely that would make the speaker work less well, not more well!

Personally I prefer to have evidence that something is true before I decide to believe it. and even then I only believe it provisionally.

MaoDi can believe what he wants and you can believe what you want. We all know that you don't believe in burn-in. We can leave it at that. Stop putting more fuel into the fire. Whenever this topic comes up you are always there saying that burn-in doesn't exist. You're like Voltag3, defending his precious Shure 530's.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

But since the surrounds are also requred to provide return force for the driver to work at all, then surely that would make the speaker work less well, not more well!

The audio signal provides the "return" force. The surround merely suspends the coil in a neutral position.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #28 of 30
Um, I was not the one who brought up "burn-in" in this thread, I merely replied to someone's message. So are you saying it's OK for people to make claims that "burn-in" exists but then no one is allowed to express a different viewpoint?

Are you really that unsure of your beliefs?

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The audio signal provides the "return" force. The surround merely suspends the coil in a neutral position.

No it doesn't. Read up on loudspeaker design and you will find that speakers won't work at all without a return force to keep the voice coil in the gap among other things.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

No it doesn't. Read up on loudspeaker design and you will find that speakers won't work at all without a return force to keep the voice coil in the gap among other things.

It seems to me that when I said the surround keeps the coil in a neutral position any reasonable person would assume that would be in the magnetic gap. Thanks for clarifying my statement. When you said that the surround was necessary for speaker operation, in the context of the discussion: sound quality, I was thinking you meant that the surround was needed to form an audio signal. It would have to be a pretty brutal break-in to throw the voice coil out of the magnetic gap.
I'm not sold on the concept of a 200 hour break-in either, but a lot of people who know what they hear believe in it, and I don't really care one way or the other.
Now, if you don't want to understand what I'm saying, that's OK. Just don't lecture me on vibrating pennies. Vibrating pennies??? What's with that?
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back