How many DACs do you own?
Jun 22, 2023 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

MLGrado

500+ Head-Fier
I think I am developing a problem haha

Added another today, a unique one. The Signalyst DSC1 (DSC2 balanced upgrade) pure DSD DAC, to go along with an iFi iDSD PRO, SMSL D300, iFi ZEN DAC V2, and RME ADI-2 PRO FS R Black Edition

If the Signalyst DAC works out to my liking, then I think I will finally let go of the iDSD PRO at least, maybe the RME as well. To reinvest in other audio kit, of course. And the sickness goes on..

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 74
3, one at home (e70 and NFB29 that will soon be for sale) and one at the office (iFi Dac V2) if I had it my way it would probably be more but my wife judges me lmao.

Jun 22, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 74
5 Lampizator Pacific Lampi Big 7,emmlabs Dac6e,emperical audio overdrive se
Ack Dac.
I need to sell 3 and keep just the Pacific

Jun 22, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 74
Just two:
1) SMSL SU-8 in the home office
And
2) Schiit BF2 in my main system

Jun 22, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 74
Currently about seven, but decided to keep the Topping a30pro/D30pro stack. It has no MQA or Bluetooth, 3 filters for a simple life, and no jitter penalty for using optical. Just everything I need and none of the stuff I'll never use. The DO is really nice, same with the Liquid platinum 4499, and SMSL D0200, but keeping it simple works best.
The SMSL SU-1 and M300SE are really great too, amazing how prices have come down.

Jun 22, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 74
Don't know, a lot of headphone jacks around here. I think most every manufacturer has a representative gear on premises.

Jun 23, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 74
Right now, and for some years now, just the one: an Oppo UDP-205. I've loved its versatility as a source player for nearly every format I own, a DAC that as far as I am aware is still stellar, and a decent (?) headphone amp? Being able to hang it off a PC, shuffle it to a room to play some discs with a headphone, rack it in a home theater, or cart it around with some powered monitors for a top notch remote system, has been rather cool! I had (and still have...) a Benchmark DAC-1 (pre-USB) but it hasn't worked properly for some time and I'm not sure a repair is worth the cost.

This also means that I don't have a great deal of experience with alternatives to evaluate whether I could do better or not. I've gathered that the UDP-205 may not have a particularly notable headphone amp, but threads on this site were mostly uninformative, with posts ranging from a $50 amp being way better to needing to spend into the four figures to match it--none of which was backed up by any data, of course.

For now I'm going to assume it's still a very good DAC and a serviceable amp, but I'm open to perspectives as I work to grow this hobby.

Minor edit: I do occasionally get mileage out of the Apple Lightning and USB-C dongles and a handy iPhone or iPad with an Oppo PM-3. These combos have always felt quite performant. The same Oppo powered by a 16" MacBook Pro's integrated headphone jack has also felt quite good.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 74
10 dacs/integrated streamer and dac

Linn Akurate DS/3 Katalyst
Linn Klimax DS mk2
Emm Labs DAC2xv2
Sonic Frontier SFD-1 mkii
Chord Mojo
Cary Xciter DAC
ifi dac
AQ Dragonfly
Slim Devices Squeezebox 3
Slim Devices Touch

Jun 23, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #14 of 74
Mimby tied to my 2.0 living room setup, soon to be a Bifrost 2/64
ESS card on a Lyr 3, it was a bitch to swap it myself because of the volume knob design, the Asgard was way easier
Ol Dac with a Vali 2+ for night listening, Mimby's gonna live here and the ol can get the f out
Qudelix 5K on the go lives in the car in case I forget airpods, also doubles up as the DAC to feed the Dark Voice at work, might get a cheap SDAC just for that. The powerdac v2 got way too hot to be kept at work all day.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 74
Just one and that is the d30pro but I am thinking about getting the E70 as a 2nd one and I might at some point because I have been very happy with the d30pro. E70 uses AK chip too which is my preferred sound signature (btw I have tried/owned the K9pro which uses ess chip but it was not for me because of "too wide presentation of soundstage especially the midrange was miles wide/all over the horizont). I would keep the k9pro as an amp only because it was very good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back