How many CDs / Records do you own?
May 9, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #46 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricco87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you guys afford? Where do you get your CD's? I'm guessing you all spend between £5-10 (sorry $10-20) on an average CD album? If I bought all the albums I wanted I would probably still only have about 500 and be multiple thousands of £/$ in debt!

What's everyone's view to downloading these days? i use it to check out bands before I buy the album. Obviously for the quality I wouldn't use MP3's for any propper listening other than to trial

I've been buying CDs since they came out and LPs since the early 70s. Over time, it adds up. I also buy a lot used. Just bought a bunch of CDs at a thrift store for $3 each including Hendrix and a Billie Holiday SACD

May 9, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #49 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by latershow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for folks with mostly vinyl collections: how do you go interstate or overseas for an extended period of time and still listen to all your music? After all, CD's can always be digitised in some way, shape, or form ... but vinyl cannot

Oh yes we can
smily_headphones1.gif
You just need to plug your phono preamp output into a computer, recorder... that's all.
Nowadays there are cheap turntables that sport USB out and also PC cards with phono input like Terratec's.
The only drawback is that you can only do it at real playing time, it's not a speedy thing like ripping a CD.

Rgrds

May 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #50 of 75
Buying used is no better than downloading illegaly, since the artist is not getting any money from your purchase, correct? Just wanted to make sure... I have only bought used once and that was from a sale here on head-fi. I havent bought anything used since then, because I dont think buying used CDs is any better than downloading illegaly. Can some one clarify? Since even talking about downloading illegaly is against the rules here at head-fi, then why would selling used stuff here be deemed just fine? If this question is against head-fi rules, then will the next person to post just please tell me to shutup before I get us all in to trouble. Thankyou.

May 9, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #51 of 75
We know a Lady who works for Intersil who makes some stuff for the iPod. We all think that everytime someone plays their iPod, that she should get a little something extra. I don't really see where Software should be treated any differently than Hardware. But; that's just me.

....and everytime someone lands their aircraft with my engines getting them there safely, that maybe they could send me.....

Anyway; I used to have about 400lbs of LPs before the floods that came along with the Hurricanes of '04 turned them into a 400lb lump of vinyl, paper and cardboard.

....I have about 20lb of CDs though, and my kids and Grandkids have downloaded tons of titles. But all my stuff I bought new.

May 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #52 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying used is no better than downloading illegaly, since the artist is not getting any money from your purchase, correct? Just wanted to make sure... I have only bought used once and that was from a sale here on head-fi. I havent bought anything used since then, because I dont think buying used CDs is any better than downloading illegaly. Can some one clarify? Since even talking about downloading illegaly is against the rules here at head-fi, then why would selling used stuff here be deemed just fine? If this question is against head-fi rules, then will the next person to post just please tell me to shutup before I get us all in to trouble. Thankyou.

Buying used is a totally legit way of buying music in my opinion. I much prefer to buy used then buying new. You get the same thing for cheaper. It's not illegal and its totally moral. Illegal downloads seem immoral to me, because a download means that it can be sold 1000 times to a 1000 different people. But if someone decides to sell their CDs its just one copy and its totally understandable...... if someone downloads legally, I see nothing wrong with that except they are cheating themselves out of a hard copy.

But for the record.......Buying used CDs / LPs (as long as theyre mint) is the best way to go in my opinion.

May 9, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #54 of 75
Thankyou for the reply DavidMahler. I understand now that buying used is not illegal, and that is why it is cool at head-fi. I think the artist would be pleased with me if I bought a used CD as a cheap way into getting a taste of their music. And then I would purchase unused copies of the rest of their catalogue out of respect and credit for their work. I think they would find that fair.

May 9, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Buying used is perfectly fine, in my book. As long as a product has been purchased, the musician has benefited, so my and their ends of the issue have been solved. If somebody sells their CD used, and somebody else purchases it, then that transfers the ownership from one to the other, so the musician really hasn't lost anything.

May 9, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricco87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow thats a great post! Sorry I cut it down short in my post to quote. Speaking for myself I can say I buy about 80-90% of the music I download on CD which I do delete as I only like listening to CD's (mp3s to trial) I would probably only buy about 50% of the CD's otherwise so it's probably letting me explore other genre's and making me spend more if I'm honest
biggrin.gif
I do agree with you completely though and would never do it if it was damaging to the industry. I know its not quite the same but isn't buying from bargain bins taking a bit out of the industry rather than paying the premium prices? (just trying to look at both angles)

As for the only want 500 then yes I think your right I should try new things I generaly stick to one genre really learn what it is about pick the best from it and buy the CD's which takes a month or so. I will try other stuff but it takes me a while to get used to things and understand what I like and why. I guess I would prefer to have a few of my favourite albums than every one under the sun. I'm only 20 and money probably has a lot to do with that. I'll look into going to my local record stores and see what is cheap that I fancy.

thanks very much for the response!

The bargain bin example is really apples vs. oranges. The fact is the record store paid whatever the desired price was to the record distributor in order to acquire the items. It's no more damaging to the industry than any other retailer that puts products on sale for limited amounts of time to boost sales. That's really a retail issue by that point, and no longer involves the musician, producer, label, or distributor. The other thing you have to remember is that bargain bin vinyl records are already well beyond the age of where the original musicians are receiving royalties on the purchase. In fact, the entire used LP market is a no-profit trade for the musicians, considering that they are all used/vintage items.

May 10, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #60 of 75
I have no idea. They've never been all in one room, so I dunno. All I know is I have been steadily increasing my weekly purchase rate the last few years. Now its like a locomotive; I am buying more than I have time to rip unfortunately. Rip correctly that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back