How Many Cds/Lps Do You Own?
Nov 7, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
About 600 Commercial and over 800 live bootlegs.
biggrin.gif

Hmm. Tuberoller's 6000 vs. Gloco's 800 boots. Tough call.

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Hmm. Tuberoller's 6000 vs. Gloco's 800 boots. Tough call.

hehehe. I win! I win! Hell, i have another 60+ cds of live concerts sitting in a spindle....

I even got my hands on a soundboard recording of a Rolling Stones warm up show in Toronto from August.

Now, that's sweeeeet.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #18 of 51
Just completed an inventory after a couple years of neglect. Here's how it breaks down:

CD's -- 2094 (not including the hundreds I've sold, and not including CD/RW's)
DVD's -- 476 (some music oriented)
LP's -- 300 (wild guess here, they've been stored in the basement for quite a while)

I've probably bought 3-4 per week on the average for the past 15 years. Accumulation rates have gone up and down corresponding to major life events. College, grad school, new house, new baby ==> lower aquisition rate. First real job out of school with no responsibilities other than myself ==> higher aquisition rate. Of course, all the rules go out the window when I've gotten hooked on a particular group/artist and go on an uncontrollable "binge" for a while.

I figure there are much worse vices I could be hooked on
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #20 of 51
I have between 1000 and 1100 CDs.. I just bought 14 this past weekend. I have sold/gotten rid of only like 10 in all. It has taken me 10 years to achieve this number.. and in the past few years I almost only binge-buy. I have about 30 LPs.. but my most prized piece of vinyl is a sealed, mint 12" of Negativland's infamous U2. The other vinyl I don't listen to either, but they're not sealed
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #21 of 51
I have only 210 commercial CD's and about 100 I've made from them. There is a box of lp's in the garage, I am guessing that it has about 30 or 40 in it.

I buy about 6 cd's a month here lately. Sometimes more this month less.

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Lindy
I figure there are much worse vices I could be hooked on
smily_headphones1.gif

That's the way I look at it (or at least try to justify it).

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #23 of 51
I'm up to about 1000 cd's, 500 lp's and 300 tapes.

The question now becomes;

At what point does the listening time of any collection exceed the collector's life expectancy?
with a collection of 16000 cd's as noted earlier in this post above, this would require 300 days of nonstop listening assuming the average cd to be 45 min.If you take time out to sleep and eat then you need an additional 100 days. Woe to those who have to work and are not retired; They need another 100 days.
Then again at what point would your ears give up.
Just to be on the safe side and have a more normal life style you would need about 3600 days at 2 hours /day.
So young collectors beware : the point of no return is on the horizon.

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #25 of 51
Excellent calculations, RobertR, but what you forgot to factor into the equation were these:

(1)G- (2)B= -30 This approximates the average trip to a record store:
I bought one good (G) CD and the other two sucked - (2)B - equalling two unlistenable albums in your collection and a loss thirty dollars (-30). This negative factor simultaneously also subtracts 4.6 square inches from your living space.

You also forgot this CD collection factor:

+15Y= 0 X (4)BOC This is the outgrowth factor, where after fifteen years (+15Y) , zero is the number of times you will listen to your four (4) Blue Oyster Cult (BOC) albums.

Owning about 600 CDs, and applying these variables, I would say I now have +40 listenable albums in my collection, whereas record companies have used my -8,400($) on home improvements in Malibu.

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by RobertR
I'm up to about 1000 cd's, 500 lp's and 300 tapes.

The question now becomes;

At what point does the listening time of any collection exceed the collector's life expectancy?
with a collection of 16000 cd's as noted earlier in this post above, this would require 300 days of nonstop listening assuming the average cd to be 45 min.If you take time out to sleep and eat then you need an additional 100 days. Woe to those who have to work and are not retired; They need another 100 days.
Then again at what point would your ears give up.
Just to be on the safe side and have a more normal life style you would need about 3600 days at 2 hours /day.
So young collectors beware : the point of no return is on the horizon.

Sorry I meant this to be a reply to the post " how many cd's do you own".

I assume that if you have 16,000 Cds or so it took you a long time to amass such a collection. Therefore, you've been listening to some/most/almost all/all of those Cds over a number of years, not in one shot.

I really think that listening to music is only one of the reasons to buy CDs. Another big reason is the fun of collecting. It's no different than, say, when someone owns 30 cars--why would you own so many cars when you can only drive one at a time? Well, choice plays a part, but the fun of collecting plays a big part, too.

Me, I like sampling and hearing different music. I also like having a number of choices when I'm listening to music. Do I listen to everything I have? Well, I can say that I've listened to everything in my collection at least once. The tricky part is listening to it twice. . . .

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #27 of 51
FCJ, I think you've hit the nail on the head. There's just something about having your OWN library. Who cares if there's some that I've never listened to all the way through. I've still got them just in case I ever want to.

Plus, having a few turkeys in your collection just makes the really good ones even that much more precious
tongue.gif

Lindy

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #28 of 51
Last time I checked,

500+LPs
200+CDs (not including CDRs)
too many tapes to bother counting
(I need to update my inventory again)

In the last month, I've bought 2 LPs (@ $.50ea) and 3 CDs. The CDs were new from stores of one type or another.

Quote:

I now have about 7,000 Cds and a bit less than 16,000 records.I have been giving away a lot of records trying to get that number down to about 10,000.I have probably had 150,000 records,tapes and cds pass through my hands over the years.I have stopped selling music and choose to give it away instead.

Hey Tuberoller!: I do computer work for vinyl
biggrin.gif

(maybe that should be my new sig: Will work for Vinyl)

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #29 of 51
What Lindy said!

Quote:

I've probably bought 3-4 per week on the average for the past 15 years. Accumulation rates have gone up and down corresponding to major life events. College, grad school, new house, new baby ==> lower aquisition rate. First real job out of school with no responsibilities other than myself ==> higher aquisition rate. Of course, all the rules go out the window when I've gotten hooked on a particular group/artist and go on an uncontrollable "binge" for a while.

Am in a current "binge" mode... doncha just LOVE finding a new band/artist that hooks you?

There are DEFINATELY other hobbies that could be worse... I think.

Bruce

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
There are DEFINATELY other hobbies that could be worse... I think.

Bruce

All other hobbies are worse
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back