How many Asians in here?
Dec 8, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #121 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the non asian thread is beating us. =T

that's 'cause of all the Asians posting comments there

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... we changed that to summer, half of us seem to disappear when the snowfall gets above five feet.

</hiding>
checkin' in

I will admit that I was very surprised by the strong Asian presence on Head-Fi. When I first joined, I just assumed without any basis that the membership would be mostly Caucasians

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #122 of 392
Ok I confess, Asian here but more specifically Korean. Me cheap?? no but my wife keeps me in check. And yes I do love to eat my rice just as much as hot dogs, hamburgers, mash potato,,,,,etc.......But one thing for sure, I absolutely love anything about quality music/movie reproduction at home without spending a fortune.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #123 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, nice Russell Peters reference.

I don't consider people from the Indian subcontinent to be Asian. I'm ethnically from Kashmir, however.

Editing in: I can't believe how many people here think that Asians are just naturally inclined towards "cheapness." I would have to say the cheapness you might find overrepresented in Asians is due to different cultures. There are way too many races that could be considered Asian to just say, "Asians are cheap."

You won't believe it...

On one of my ski trip, I was in a gondola (Lift) and I heard "Asians are lame...". I turned to identify the source of the statement, and found that the kid who said the line has the look with the traits of the Far east Asians. I can tell that he could be a Chinese, Korean, or Japanese descendant. I gave the kid a direct look in the eyes in silence, and he turned away blushing red like a ripe tomato. He probably realized that he made a stupid mistake saying what he did not mean in public.

Well... I could have said something in response to his statement if I was his parent, but I thought it was his business (Innocent/Stupidity), and I also think that he'd learn to be more careful down the road.

I would definitely want to make sure that my kids won't make the same mistake like what I heard on that ski trip. Kids do learn quick from each others, and tend to believe in what they hear until someone can prove them wrong, but that might be too late....

wink.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #125 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asians Cheap?

Why will an Asian spend hours grinding someone down on the price and then gamble away thousands in a few minutes.

Crazy.

Maybe someone in genecology might be able to solve that mistery...
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #126 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On one of my ski trip, I was in a gondola (Lift) and I heard "Asians are lame...". I turned to identify the source of the statement, and found that the kid who said the line has the look with the traits of the Far east Asians. I can tell that he could be a Chinese, Korean, or Japanese descendant. I gave the kid a direct look in the eyes in silence, and he turned away blushing red like a ripe tomato. He probably realized that he made a stupid mistake saying what he did not mean in public.

You'd be suprised, I've come across a LOT of self-hating asians. (usually twinkies and rich gangsta-wannabes) I have absolutely no respect for them.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #127 of 392
i think most asians are lame. well, in new york city at least. 90% of them like to stick together and they think they are gangsters from the hong kong movies (well, at least they were when i was in high school). and even in college, 90% of my asian friends come out and complain to me about how they didn't make a single non asian friend.

what's there to complain about. it's their own fault that they don't diversify and try to meet other people.

so, all in all, not all asians are lame. but i still say it as a generalization and i say it in public. when people give me "the look," well, they never do because i'm too extreme.

heh, tried to pull a patrick82.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #128 of 392
Quote:

i think most asians are lame. well, in new york city at least. 90% of them like to stick together and they think they are gangsters from the hong kong movies (well, at least they were when i was in high school). and even in college, 90% of my asian friends come out and complain to me about how they didn't make a single non asian friend.

There are asian people in new york?
biggrin.gif

If you go to parts of Cali, TX, PA, MA, whatever, there are a lot of actual gangsters. (but usually of the non-organized crime variety) Pretty much anywhere poverty and discrimination reach a boiling. But yeah, asian people aren't exempt from being close-minded and/or just stupid. Still wouldn't generalize that we're all lame though, maybe it's just NY asians.
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #129 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are asian people in new york?
biggrin.gif

If you go to parts of Cali, TX, PA, MA, whatever, there are a lot of actual gangsters. (but usually of the non-organized crime variety) Pretty much anywhere poverty and discrimination reach a boiling. But yeah, asian people aren't exempt from being close-minded and/or just stupid. Still wouldn't generalize that we're all lame though, maybe it's just NY asians.
tongue.gif

but the ones i'm talking about are from middle class + families... ones who are as ghetto as can be, but their parents bought them a 330ci... talking like a true street hustler, but going home to their parents million dollar home to eat dinner after school.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #130 of 392
Quote:

but the ones i'm talking about are from middle class + families... ones who are as ghetto as can be, but their parents bought them a 330ci... talking like a true street hustler, but going home to their parents million dollar home to eat dinner after school.

Oh, you mean posers?

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #131 of 392
Quote:

90% of them like to stick together

what's there to complain about. it's their own fault that they don't diversify and try to meet other people.

While I consider myself quite diverse, I've been on both sides of the coin in terms of friends/clicks/groups/whatever you wanna call it. I'll have to admit, bringing a bunch of girls into a club and not having to worry if their skank asses are gonna go run off with strangers is definitely a plus.
wink.gif
They all know who their coming home with at the end of the night.
tongue.gif

And its not like you can't meet new people. You just have to know someone in their group to intro you.

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #132 of 392
Quote:

yea there are a lot of those here too. the ones with pokemon hair and and dress like they're going to a party, to go to walmart.

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #134 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's actually quite a few 007 parodies from Hong Kong if you guys want to check them out; best if you understand Cantonese because there's a lot of word play.
wink.gif

The only Asian actor I can think of that does American dramas would be Chow Yun Fat, but I wouldn't recommend any of his American movies. Asian actresses would be Gong Li, Michelle Yeoh and the highly overrated Zhang Ziyi (or is it Ziyi Zhang now?).

Stephen Chow did an 007 parody.

As for Asian actors, how about the Oscar-nominated Ken Watanabe? Chow Yun-fat is great....been watching since the 70s. However, he's seriously miscast as an "action hero"-types in American movies. But then, Hollywood wants to stereotype Asian male actors with martial arts.

Dec 12, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #135 of 392
too bad chow yun fat doesn't know any martial arts, lol.

Hiroyuki Sanada should have been nominated instead of Ken Watanabe. He's the man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back