How Many Are Still Using 1st Gen. Shuffles?
Mar 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #32 of 58
Funny this, but I was woken up a few mornings ago by my Gf rumaging through her bedside drawer for some headphones for her Creative Zen.

In doing so she found her old 1G 512Mb Shuffle and said she was going to throw it away as it didnt hold its charge.

I grabbed hold of it and said I'd look at it (I bought her a 2G shuffle a few years ago to replace it). Anyway I plugged it into a USB port and gave it 4 hours charging, seemed to work ok but the Britney tunes had to go.

So I ripped about 60 of my all time fave rock tunes at 256k AAC and copied them on. I also sprayed a load of contact cleaner in the phone socket to clean out any crap and dust.

It works a treat. Longest I've run it is 6 hours straight and it was still going strong. Sound quality is pretty darn good and I now have a easy small unit with my all time greats on. Perfect to just throw in the car.

Handy!

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmaneatschild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still love the musical signature and ease of use... better than sansa clip. I don't have to look at the screen and it easily plugs into a laptop without other wires.

hehe the ugly 4 line screen with 1 line yellow and 3 line blue.

May 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #36 of 58
Ive just bought one of these and love the rich warming sound.Does anyone else still use the first gen shuffle.

May 6, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #38 of 58
^Lots listed on ebay.Its a risk buying now due to their age but you can pick them up for about 10 pounds including p & p .Ive heard about the dreaded flashing light error glitch.

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #39 of 58
Wife is going nuts.Ive picked some more up at bargain prices. I have not counted but ive about 12 now and 2 in sealed boxes.2 have defective headphone jacks.Im hording incase the other ones break.But at about 5-7 pounds a shot its worth it imho.

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #40 of 58
Complete necro post, however - just like to say that I bought an August '06 512mb shuffle a couple of weeks back, and - it goes really well (oddly!) with the IE800 - great for a 'throw it in the bag, and keep it as a spare' type device...

Got one coming from eBay in a couple of days including the dock, and the external AAA battery adapter, for the sum total of £19.99 including postage - cannot grumble :)

Going back to the necro element, I thought Apple produced a reset utility for those that have the amber / green flashing light issue?!

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #42 of 58
  Complete necro post, however - just like to say that I bought an August '06 512mb shuffle a couple of weeks back, and - it goes really well (oddly!) with the IE800 - great for a 'throw it in the bag, and keep it as a spare' type device...

Got one coming from eBay in a couple of days including the dock, and the external AAA battery adapter, for the sum total of £19.99 including postage - cannot grumble :)

Going back to the necro element, I thought Apple produced a reset utility for those that have the amber / green flashing light issue?!

Me loves the shuffle-check my avatar

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #44 of 58
^crack it open dude & try.it goes loud and yes the chip gets good reviews-it would be nice to have your thoughts-i use px 100ii phones.ive a 4g nano a touch and a  1st gen nano but i cant listen to them now. i just use the shuffle-my main listening time is through speakers.keep on rocking............................

It's often overlooked, but the 1st gen iPod Shuffle (the gum stick looking one) has some of the best audio out of the entire iPod lineage. It certainly has cleaner thump in the bass, and more musicality than any of the newer generations (especially my iPhone 4... sigh). I was just having this conversation with a buddy earlier today, and we were lamenting, or more accurately remembering, how good the older generation iPods sounded when they used Wolfson chips. In the case of the 1st gen iPod Shuffle, it was a SigmaTel audio chip.
^^^from another user^^^^

Unless my ears are playing me up the sound from the
shuffle seems to be better. The nano sometimes sounds
a bit fuzzy on bass notes, this is particularly
noticeable on bass drum beats where the beat sounds
almost crackly. I particularly noticed this on the
Amy Winehouse album (May mean nothing to you)and
thought it may be authentic crackle from a sampled
drum loop, but it does not do this on the shuffle.

I have swapped the headphones and fiddled with the Eq
on the Nano, which can sometimes improve but not
remove the problem.

Is there anything I can do or is this just one of
those things?

It's one of those things... the 1st Gen Shuffle has a different processor (sigmatel) AND a different digital audio decoder chip from the 2nd Gen nano (Samsung) which, in turn has a processor and digital decoder related to the 2nd Gen Shuffle.
It's one of life's strange turns that the 1st Gen Shuffle seems to have the BEST audio performance (although without builtin equalization) of the iPods.

^^^^from 2007^^^

& for the record i sent a pm to the grand master of all apple fan boys RUDI and he likes the sound
I bid everyday for these little buggers but aint picked one up for a few months now .

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #45 of 58
I went for a dogwalk yesterday.hoodup wearing my px 100.ii and a simple stick of gum 1st gen i pod shuffle.i had the castle remaster of master of reality-sweet jesus what a  sound-rich detailed sweet bass-perfect.Ive about 15 shuffles now.4 or 5 are defective.i usually get them for under £7 from e bay when available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back