How loud to you listen on headphones?
Jan 5, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 36
it really depends on my mood and what kind of music im listening to. if its something like linkin park i have to listen to it loud.
basshead.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 36
Depends on what I'm listening to and where I am.

I don't listen to open headphones in loud places, so that's not a problem, but if I'm listening to, say, Nevermore, I'm going to turn it up more than if I'm listening to The Gathering. Either way, I don't turn it up too loud because I love my ears.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #18 of 36
Volume level 18 with Westone UM1 on iAudio U2 with files mp3gained to 89db. I don't know how I would characterize the volume of that since what is loud, "normal", or low is entirely subjective and dependent on the degree of hearing damage of the listener. I don't consider it too loud or too low though.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 36
i usually start the day at a moderate volume and slowly throughout the day, i lower the volume. my ears will tell me if a volume setting is too high as they will feel like they're starting to get slightly fatigued and that's when i turn down the volume.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 36
I've never had to turn the volume knob past 1 O clock for anything so...

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #22 of 36
With Graham Slee Solo I never go above 8 0'clock when watching movies loud with my HD590.

This of course depends on how good your hearing is. I listen to music at about 60 dB higher than what I can hear, 65 dB for movies.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 36
I listen to mainly acoustic-based music, and I like to listen at realistic levels, but I only listen for no more than 3hr/day, usually. I don't have tinnitus, and my hearing was average for my age the last time I was tested.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 36
With the HD650's, I usually listen with the volume knob on my Gilmore Lite at 10 or 11 o'clock.. sometimes I go below that, but almost never above. This is with all my mp3's MP3Gain'ed down to 89db and default levels in PatchMix.

I don't have an SPL meter, so I can't tell you exactly how loud that is ATM.. but it doesn't noticeably hurt my ears and doesn't leave them ringing after extended listening periods.. so I think it's safe.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #25 of 36
with e4c's i rarely listen above normal conversational levels, when i take one ear out to commuicate, the outside world seems really damn loud.

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #29 of 36
I used to play music pretty loud with my UM2. In fact, the capabilities of this IEMs of reaching very high levels of sound pressure were amazing.

But this was very fatiguing for the ear, and now I play at low levels. Maybe at 20% of the capacity of the UM2.

Do I miss the loud sound? Surprisely, not at all. I don't know why, but my ears and/or brain have adapted and I get satisfied with this so-different-new-low-level of listening mood. And I get a lot of detail more than before and no need of EQ in the UM2 (Only a tiny high end raise). (Playing loud, UM2 need a lot of EQ, as they are getting too muddy as the volume raises, but it is fixable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back