How loud to you listen on headphones?
Jan 5, 2006 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Miller-8

100+ Head-Fier
OK, what sort of volume would you say you listen at? Often in loud places like on a bus or train you need to turn the wick up quite a bit to hear the music properly.

Anyway, my ears are really sensitive to loud noises, I get bad tinnitus if I go to concerts for example, and I have constant tinnitus anyway, so I try to keep volume low.

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 36
I listen either at home in a pretty much silent environment or at the gym where I am using IEM's so I can't hear anything anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex-

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 36
I played my music fairly loud, but I've read it can damage your ears. That's normal.
rolleyes.gif
At the moment, I pay attention to music volume. I don't wanna become deaf, none of us I think.
rolleyes.gif

Foolproof-Jean
580smile.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 36
I tend to keep it a tad quieter than I would initially like, but after a few minutes I get used to it and it sounds good. I crank it up a little bit for walking outside, but not enough to start worrying about damage.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 36
I used to play it loud (75% full volume on first gen iPod with Sony MDP-Q33 and iPod earbuds) but the clarity and isolation of my E4's let me listen at 1/8 or 1/4 iPod volume depending on noise, my movement, and how impacted I want to be.
etysmile.gif

Hell, at the office, I have my Powerbook running at 1/16th full volume and still get clear, full sound.

Someone yesterday mentioned (and I can't seem to find the post!) that listening at lower volumes makes your ears fatigue less while heightening their perceptive ability. I wholeheartedly agree. I am hearing things now at low volumes that I did not hear at high volumes. Nuances and harmonies were masked before. I guess it's akin to the kind of hearing one gets at night when everything's quiet - you can hear e v e r y t h i n g . . .

(Which reminds me, I listen at even lower volumes when I listen at night before going to bed, when everything's quieter - but I don't do that often.)

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 36
I listen at a level that I wouldnt call loud, but where the music is nice and full in the headphones. Definitely not at a level where I think any hearing damage could occur, but who knows.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 36
Just wanted to say when you set a volume level, it's probably best to put it a little lower than you would prefer. Since the introduction of the walkman hearing loss is on the rise. You don't want to become audio-impotent in your later days.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 36
Quoting volume levels on DAPs is pointless. Two different headphones are unlikely to give you the required volume level with the same settings.

The actual level I listen at is quite low. Not loud but not that quiet...

60-70dBs sounds good!
tongue.gif

edit - Most headphones I find need a decent amount of signal to sound good.

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 36
low level listening for me. most of the time, just louder than the "channel imbalance point" on my govibe.

Garrett

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 36
I usually play my music fairly load at first, but then I tone it down a bit, once the initial excitement has lifted.
tongue.gif

It also depends on what I am listening to at the moment. Only really aggressive rock, do I crank the knob!

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 36
I try to keep the music at fairly normal levels, I'm deathly afraid of hearing loss when I get older. The other advantage is that every once in a while when I actually want to turn up the music for one particular song the effect is then magnified. If one always listens to music at a ear shattering level, what do you when you really want to just go crazy?

IEMs are great for public places and not killing your ears but still getting the full effects of the music.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 36
Depends on my mood, and the music in particular that I'm listening to. First thing on my mind before the headphones go on is permanent ear damage, it's just not worth it for a moment's pleasure. Besides, your mind tends to adapt and moderate "what you hear" after given time, so what you hear, may or may not be what your ear is actually taking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back