How loud is too loud...
Dec 24, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #32 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everytime i read things like these i just have to turn the volume down

has onyone got the zvm +super fi EB combo? i listen indoor below level 10 and outdoor 12, max level 14. i just want to compare volumes

reading about hearing loss and tinnitus makes me paranoia

I use this combo at work (operating 2 docutech laser printers) level 8-9. Level 4-8 when machines are idle. Level 10+ too much for me.

Check this out : HeadWize - Article: Preventing Hearing Damage When Listening With Headphones (A HeadWize Headphone Guide)

Dec 24, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #33 of 100
I try to keep the peaks below 70dB. Often close to 60dB. The problem is that DT880 sounds much much better at 75dB than at 60. DT990 is better for low level listening. MS2i also works at low levels but slightly higher than for DT990.

EDIT: Also, let the ears rest, and I'm now using hearing protection while using the vacuum cleaner for exemple.

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #35 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reticuli2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know some cure albums didn't adhere to this

Huh what? The band The Cure? Is there something specific about this band's recordings?

Dec 24, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #38 of 100
for me it's there's not a "too loud?" question, instead there is a question about natural loudness. it doesnt matter how good is the HP in resolving detail at low volumes because at too low volume a human screaming just doesnt sound "right" for example. tha timber of a human voice and a lot of instruments are very different comparing their piano and forte. my ears have used to receive certain timbres at certain volumes and on the recordings the "distance" between my ears and instruments sould seem less than 10m most cases. so if the volume is a bit too low it is like listening to a raido... ok a good sounding radio.

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #39 of 100
Heh heh... Yes, some albums from the Cure were intentionally mixed on warm systems at very loud volumes, like it was disco or house music. Kind of unconventional. Now that I think of it, generally I tend to prefer music like that. Music that doesn't spread out or bloom until it's way too loud. But as general rule, though, 85dB is what you are "supposed" to mix at and you shouldn't have to crank the volume beyond that to hear discrete samples or instruments...though the louder it is obviously the more detail and textures you can hear. Like I said, there are exceptions...probably half my CD & vinyl collection.

Dec 25, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #41 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I try to keep the peaks below 70dB. Often close to 60dB. The problem is that DT880 sounds much much better at 75dB than at 60. DT990 is better for low level listening. MS2i also works at low levels but slightly higher than for DT990.

EDIT: Also, let the ears rest, and I'm now using hearing protection while using the vacuum cleaner for exemple.

nothing against you, but i feel that's going a bit too far. unless you like to vacuum 4+ hours a day, that's totally unnecessary.

Dec 25, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #42 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing against you, but i feel that's going a bit too far. unless you like to vacuum 4+ hours a day, that's totally unnecessary.

I wear earplugs in the shower!
eek.gif

My current shower is very loud and I tend to take long showers. I leave them in for the hair dryer too if I'm using it, that thing is deafening!

Last week I hung out in a local bar/restaurant with some friends from work for about four hours, and I had TTS when it was over with.
frown.gif
Not much I could do about it, other than be antisocial and stay home.

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #43 of 100
I asked my son, the doctor no less, this very question and he explained that the ear drum mechanism is very good at getting stressed and letting you know it. He said that it is pretty much the case that, if it doesn't hurt or isn't uncomfortable, it is ok. He tends to be conservative about issues like this one so I take him at his word. Just my two centavos...

Dec 25, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #44 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked my son, the doctor no less, this very question and he explained that the ear drum mechanism is very good at getting stressed and letting you know it. He said that it is pretty much the case that, if it doesn't hurt or isn't uncomfortable, it is ok. He tends to be conservative about issues like this one so I take him at his word. Just my two centavos...

I'm having my doubts about this but he is a doctor thought. I could easily play 90dB through my DT880 on my head without feeling uncomfortable, but I do not think it is good. I haven't tried very long though, maybe I would get tired of them.

Dec 25, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #45 of 100
A few weeks back i had a moment where i visited a site of a band with music kicking in (from the site) full blast at a pretty high volume for about 2 secs.

Now my ears hurt for a few secs so no probs there but im worrying about my hd-650's now. I have been noticing a certain "cracking sound" in the headphones at certain sounds (at guitar riffs or high voices) from that moment on.

Could the headphones be damaged from this? Or am i just imagining things
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back