How loud are open headphones?
May 7, 2007 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
I have always owned sealed headphones because I'm usually in a room with another person. If I were to get a set of open headphones, how loud would they be to other people in the room? Would they sound about as loud as sealed headphones do when you take them off your head?

May 7, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 24
I mean it obviously ranges a lot, but I can testify that HD600/650s are pretty crazy loud. My Qualias, not nearly as bad.

May 7, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 24
Yeah, I have been known to use my Grado SR60s as portable ipod speakers in my day haha.
If you dont listen to music loudly then its not a big deal, but if you do, everyone can hear.

May 7, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 24
i can barely heard snare hits at an arms length away
but i listen to music around 60 db

you shouldn't use your headphones as speakers
i did that with my sony v150 and blew em out within two weeks

May 7, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I have been known to use my Grado SR60s as portable ipod speakers in my day haha.
If you dont listen to music loudly then its not a big deal, but if you do, everyone can hear.

When I was using the SR-60s as my main portables, I was occasionally asked to turn them down, even in noisy environments like on a city bus, where ambient noise probably masked some of the leakage. So yeah, they are pretty loud.

And there is another factor that aggravates this problem. Since open phones don't block outside noise, either, one tends to turn them up to compensate. Which results in more outbound leakage.

I did LOVE my SR-60s, though. Sounded great plugged straight into a PCDP or minidisc.

May 7, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 24
I don't think I listen too loud but If I put my headphones on my desk I can still hear what is playing. this is with my HD580 which tend to leak a lot of sound just like the HD600/HD650.

May 7, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 24
I actually prefer sound leak. It's a great conversation starter when someone hears "similar" music and I've made a friend or two by people recognizing my music. (as long as it isn't extremely overbearing)

I've even had a person give me a free drink once because I was listening to They Might Be Giants.

May 7, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 24
they can be very very very loud.
For example, for my listening level,my computer is set to full master volume, half foobar volume bar, and only to 9 o'clock on the amp.
Well, I can't even heard my headphone when I rest them on my shoulder, so I guess my listening volume is pretty low, but when I crank the volume on the amp to 12 o'clock and foobar2000 to full, it gets REALLY LOUD

May 7, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 24
Wow, I think I'll stay away from open headphones for a while.

May 7, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 24
I listen farily loud and I often turn the volume on my amp way high and just use my headphoens as speakers when I don't feel like wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back