How long would a headphone driver last for?
Nov 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ProjectDenz

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 11+ year old Sennheiser HD580 in my possession. I have recently had to replace bits and pieces like pads and bought an extra cable in hope that it will last many more years, but I have no idea how long a headphone driver will last.

Assuming that the headphone has been reasonably taken care of, how long would you expect a headphone driver to last for? I've never heard of anybody with a HD580 from all the way back 1993 when it first came out, now that would be something.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 5
I have Senn HD-414 Signature, honoring the 70's version.  I got it in the 80's sometime.  Only replaced the pads a couple of times.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I have a 11+ year old Sennheiser HD580 in my possession. I have recently had to replace bits and pieces like pads and bought an extra cable in hope that it will last many more years, but I have no idea how long a headphone driver will last.

Assuming that the headphone has been reasonably taken care of, how long would you expect a headphone driver to last for? I've never heard of anybody with a HD580 from all the way back 1993 when it first came out, now that would be something.

Heya,

My HD580 is that old. The drivers are perfectly fine. I replaced my pads/cord. If you take care of it and keep hair out of it periodically, it will last a life time basically unless it was already defective. But defective units show right away. A 10+ year unit has no defects obviously.

There are plenty of 30+ year old vintage headphones around still working. Just keep them indoors, and take care of them. They will last.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 5
My AKG K240 (the original 600 ohm version) must be almost 40 years old now. They've accompanied me through good and bad days and at an age where I used to listen to rather hefty stuff at levels far beyond what I'd tolerate nowadays. I've had to replace the cable once because I had rolled over it with my desk chair a few hundred times too often and the plastic headband as well as the ear cushions.

But the drivers are still original and they still sound fine.

Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back