how long would a good ss amp last??
Nov 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

redwarrior191

100+ Head-Fier
guys..i'm currently in search of an ss amp.. i'm considering buying used, but i'm concerned about the age.. would an ss amp degrade in performance or have higher chance of failing if it's been used for a long time?? say, for example, if i'm looking to buy a used gilmore lite or EC/SS.. If i find one that has been used by the owner, say from 2005 (that means 6 years), is it still a wise decision to buy it??

also, how about DIY amps?? do they last longer compared to commercial amps, or does it depend on the builder?? and how could i determine which of the DIY amps in the FS forum are built well and not??

thanks in advance..

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 7
I know people, myself included, that have solid state amps dating back at least 10 years.  They are still going strong.  Compared to tube amps there are fewer time sensitive components.

As you mentioned it depends on the builder, solder joint quality, components used, and power supply.  The lifespan also depends on how it was treated, how it was unplugged, and what environment it was left it.

One of the big problems with used gear is whether it is supported by customer service any longer.  In the case of the Gilmore you listed I would hesitate to purchase it simply because if something does fail you will have to find a replacement part or service rep, which will prove difficult.

I have had a chance to listen to some of Music Hall's amp / DACs and did like the sound and build quality.  They are an inexpensive foreign alternative to domestic USA amps, but they feel really solid and remain in your price range.  I would suggest finding a used or even new Music Hall 25.2 amp /DAC.

http://www.musichallaudio.com/product_reviews/tonedac25_2.pdf

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks for your reply.. hmm, i will consider that option.. but, even if it's still running after 10 years, would there be any performance degradation? probably because of dead transistors or anything?? my knowledge on electronics is really bad.. lol

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Why are you assuming it has some short finite life?

Of the two Solid State power amps I use for my speakers, one was made in 1979 and the other 1976, both still going strong.

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 7
used well within their ratings, the SS electronic components should last Centuries according to NASA/Mil Specs on MTBF

moving parts typically fail 1st - switches, volume control potentiometer, jack/plug contacts

the Electrolytic capacitors also have a limited life, the fluid evaporates right through the seal - but over decades when ran reasonably cool

in practice mains power parts are subject to the most abuse, cheap wall wart xfmr may be running too hot for their insulation class, lightning surge, other power line faults can over stress them - the parts can last if well designed but often aren't properly sized, protected

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 7
I am using a Quad 33/303 ss amp.It is 35 years old and never been serviced.Sounds fine.
Hope this puts your mind at rest.
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 7
The electrolytic capacitors in the power supply eventually give out. They take a beating from incoming AC and do not last forever.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, replace them. They'll be $10-$15. It will be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back