How long will Comply Foam tips last?
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 56
I was generously given two pairs with my purchase of the Triples from another head-fier (before they were bundled with new headphones) and the second pair I've just used up recently and they only lasted 4 or 5 days (of heavy use admittedly)! To be accurate, one tip's foam split in 3 or 4 places where it becomes free from the backing support of the inner tube at the end where the sound emits. I've probably caused that splitting with rough compressing of the foam (I do compress back so that you maximise the nozzle/noise emittance diameter) and/or insertion into the ear, but, still their fragility at that cost is alarming! Doubt I'll buy any in future, if not for that then certainly because the bi-flange UE bundled silicones are nearly as comfortable for me, and, now that I've applied surgical spirit to tip-earpiece nozzle interface, they don't come off in my ears anymore which is fantastic.
cool.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00tang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2076af7.jpg

My god....mine aren't nearly as bad..gees, how much earwax do your ears produce?
ph34r.gif

As least you buy up some replacement ones no prob unlike me cuz of the exchange rate.

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00tang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man mine completely fall apart when they are dead, here is a picture of what they looked like when I finally switched to new ones (sorry the image is awful because I took it on my iphone, but I think it gets the idea across).

First they turn all dark and nasty, then they tear down teh middle, then half falls off... and even with all that destruction they still fit pretty decently and give good sound. Not nearly as nice as brand new ones but decent

That looks reaaaaaaally bad
How long did you use it for?

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 56
Am I the only one who thinks that 2-3 weeks at the price we pay for these is pretty poor? My Shure Olives have lasted me months not weeks and that is 1 pair.

Rough estimations show that with a 2-3 week life at a price of £13 per 3 pairs I could be spending nearly as much a £100 a year on tips.

I usually wear mine for at least 10 hours a week so could I expect them to last longer?

One thing that isn't entirely clear from photos is whether these are like the SHURE olives in the sense they are more of a coated foam or are they just porous type foam?

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 56
LordEntropy, I'm in complete agreement that these are ridicuously overpriced (in the UK, at least). Not a viable option for me at that cost due to, as you rightly cite, accumulative expense on these over time.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #22 of 56
I get quite a lot of time out of them, and I actually prefer them after they've been worn in for a couple of weeks and had a wash.

I put a little bit of washing up liquid on them, rub it in and then pour boiling water over them (inside a small glass). I then leave them for about 5 minutes before adding some cold water to cool it down a bit. I then squeeze the tips while holding them under the water a couple of times. I poor away the soapy warm water, and fill the cup with cold water then squeze the tips a a few more time until I'm happy that the washing up liquid has all been washed out - you may need to renew the cold water a couple of times to get them completely clean. Finally I leave them somewhere warm (near a raditor or in an airing cupboard) and leave them a few hours to dry right out.

It sounds like a lot of hassle, but it really only takes about 5 minutes. Like I say, I prefer them once they've been washed through. If anything they become even softer, and I think they increase in size just slightly (only about a millimeter) which means that I get a slightly closer fit in my ear canals.

I do this every couple of weeks or so and so far I've managed to do it about 3 times before they break apart. I think I was a bit rough with them the first time I tried this process, so I hope that I might get a few more washes out of the latest pair I'm using.

I reckon you can get a good 2 months out of each pair fairly easily, and possibly even longer if you're gentle when you wash them.

In the UK they are pretty expensive (they work out at just under £5 a pair) but if the last for a couple of months that works out about 75p a week - I consider them worth the price.

May 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #23 of 56
my silicon tips on my sony ex71s lasted 2 years....lol just got a super fi 5 pro was using the complies but now i swicthed back to silicon..dont want to wear the complies down aha

May 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #24 of 56
A couple months at least. Keep your ears and fingertips clean when handling.

Regardless of dirt/earwax build up, for me the bigger issue is particulate from the foam. As soon as it starts deteriorating and could get lodged in the nozzle, I pitch them.

May 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 56
I'm using a DIY hybrid Comply/Sony tip on my Turbines and have been very happy with it. Basically I took the plastic core out of the Comply T-400 and slid it on the Turbine and then put on a regular Sony silicone tip over the Comply.

For me this has a couple of benefits:
1: Sound quailty, the harder silicone and larger opening on the Sony tips improve the top end and open up the sounds stage a bit.
2: Still get the isolation of the Comply but much easier to remove and insert.
3: Should last for months since the foam never actually touches the inside of the ear.
4: This is similar to what the new Sony Hybrid Silicone tips accomplish but they have a smaller opening so back to #1.

I apologize for the lousy picture but I just have my phone with me today.

And lastly, I cannot take credit for this MOD as it has been discussed in various threads here.

0514091133a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back