How long will Comply Foam tips last?
Nov 23, 2008 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

bombsight

New Head-Fier
I just ordered a 3 pack (6 tips). Is there anyway that I can get a year+ out of these if I use them well(i.e not while working out or something that would strain them)?

Will their sound deteriorate overtime or will they just break apart?

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bombsight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a 3 pack (6 tips). Is there anyway that I can get a year+ out of these if I use them well(i.e not while working out or something that would strain them)?

Will their sound deteriorate overtime or will they just break apart?

The sound will deteriorate but I don't think they will break apart.

The recommended mileage of the complys will be around 2 weeks to 1 month. Though after > 3 weeks of usage the complys will probably look a little dirty.

You might try to push it for 2 months but definately not 4 months per pair.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound will deteriorate but I don't think they will break apart.

The recommended mileage of the complys will be around 2 weeks to 1 month. Though after > 3 weeks of usage the complys will probably look a little dirty.

You might try to push it for 2 months but definately not 4 months per pair.

The sound will never degrade. However, it depends on how much you use them. I would say heavy use will average you may be 3 weeks per pair. But everything is proportional to how much you use them. There is no way a 3 pack will last a year. I would say you could stretch a 10 pack to a year though.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 56
So they just erode away huh? can u wash them?

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So they just erode away huh? can u wash them?

yes, a little warm water and dish soap. Just like new again
beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 56
problem is when you clean them they lose their springiness and ability to compress. This is why comply says not to clean them. But rotorocket if you have had success please outline your procedure in detail
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 56
I had one pair when i bought some 2nd hand phones, and they lasted probably 2-3 weeks of heavy use.

I think i was inserting them roughly though because the foam started coming away from the inner tube things.

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 56
the instructions in the COmply pack say not to wash them. Don't know why, but would suspect they lose their resiliency and therefore the ability to "squish" when you roll them between fingers

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 56
They'll either be dirty depending on how much wax you produce and where you keep them, and the foam may begin to tear slightly.
Basically you'll be able to see it, and they won't seal as well due to the tears.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 56
man mine completely fall apart when they are dead, here is a picture of what they looked like when I finally switched to new ones (sorry the image is awful because I took it on my iphone, but I think it gets the idea across).
2076af7.jpg

First they turn all dark and nasty, then they tear down teh middle, then half falls off... and even with all that destruction they still fit pretty decently and give good sound. Not nearly as nice as brand new ones but decent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back