How long should I burn in my new MS1?
Nov 5, 2006 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Just received my new MS1 yesterday but cant get to a real full blown critical use of it till end of week.I would like to get it up to optimal performance level by then so im going to hitch it up to some music for about 4 straight days until i return home.Anyone know how many hours the MS1 needs to be burned in to raise performance level?I listened to it for a bit yesterday and it was excellent.Found it more comfortable than my old dt990 pro which i found too heavy on the head and the clamping drove me crazy even though those fuzzy earcups were nice.Bass was a little out of the box but nothing to complain about. Thanks Matt

Nov 5, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 11
Burn in happens, but don't worry about the time, volume, etc. Just start listening and let it happen.

You said that it is already excellent, do you really need anything more?

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 11
My point is Im leaving on business for a few days and would love to burn in while listening but since I cant I wondered if just letting music play through it without listening for 100 hours or so is worth the effort?

Nov 6, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 11
Go ahead burn them in. They sound great out the box and sound better burned in. Simply put. I wouldnt say the difference is night and day but its enough to be noticable especially on the lower end.

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 11
You want it golden brown with just a hint of the plastic beginning to melt. When you begin to smell that acidic plastic smell, you're there. Burning it too long just results in a useless blob of plastic.

Propane is the ideal fuel. It produces a steady even heat that's easy to control. Of course, many users promote various types of wood to add another degree of refinement. The uneven heat produced by wood makes this process difficult and is suggested only to be tried by experienced users.

The inside out burn method of course is the microwave. As all microwave users know, it results in an uneven burn that is partly soggy, partly too hot, and partly untouched. Though recent advances in technology claim the problem has been solved, uneven burn is still an issue with even the newest microwaves.

The other inside out burn some people prefer is a very slow burn by running music through them for 50-100 hours. You can speed it up by using higher voltage up around the mid-kV range, assuming you know someone at the power department willing to help you out. You probably don't want to be wearing the phones while they burn.

Of course, none of these methods may actually improve the sound of your phones, but you'll have fun trying to get that very last bit of quality from your purchase.

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
My point is Im leaving on business for a few days and would love to burn in while listening but since I cant I wondered if just letting music play through it without listening for 100 hours or so is worth the effort?

If you can you might as well. If you are concerned about wasting power/electricity or something (even though it'd be very little) then don't. Otherwise you might as well.

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 11
just turn it a BIT louder than your normal listening levels, then head for your trip. by the time you get back they should be toasty!

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 11
Burning just like any other cans. Me I prefer to leave them be for the first 48 hour non-stop at moderately high level volume playing Tecnho beats in a loop.

Then, just plug them on your head and Rock On!

I have clocked near to 900 hours now and it's betting better & better.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm rather cowardly when it comes to burn-in. I may have noticed some burn-in with my MS-1s, but it may have been more brain-burn-in than cans burn-in since I didn't notice the same changes with my MS2i that I did with my MS-1s. The MS2i sounded great right out of the pizza box and didn't seem to change much at all. I may have noticed some tightening-up of the bass after about a month on both sets of phones though. And there is an improvement running with an amp so I'm having a problem deciding if some of the SQ improvement is time or amp related! But since I'm STILL noticing new things in old tunes a month and a half after getting the MS2i, I don't know if it's ears or cans but they are still continuing to sound even better!

Anyway; I'm cowardly. When I ran my lightweight MS-1s with nice stable reversed 414s installed, I listened a lot with a PCDP stuck in a pocket of some cargo pants and the cans were effectivly welded to me head!! I had read a few posts where some folks had some problems leaving their phones unattended and playing, so I figured I'd take the safe way out and listen to the cans the whole time.

The heaver less stable MS2i with bowls didn't lend themselves to wearing around the house, so I ended up listening to the first song of a CD to be sure the volume level was safe, and then if I could tear myself away from the music long enough, I would leave the cans on the hanger playing while the remainder of the CD played on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back