How long is the life span of tube amp?
Oct 7, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
In either case (SS vs tube), the electrolytic capacitors have a finite lifespan as well....

Sortoff.

If the manufacturer put ones in that are way beyond required specs, they could theoretically last forever.

That being said, I am sure the guy 4500 years from now who picks up a used tube amp from the 21st Century will replace the tubes and the caps just to be sure
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Do these look like the real deal? Amperex 6922/E88CC from Holland.

They look like genuine Amperex (it's not really possible to distinguish country of origin with this particular design). It's labelled 6DJ8/ECC88, so we can only assume this is a 6DJ8/ECC88 and not a 6922/E88CC.

Oct 7, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
They look like genuine Amperex (it's not really possible to distinguish country of origin with this particular design). It's labelled 6DJ8/ECC88, so we can only assume this is a 6DJ8/ECC88 and not a 6922/E88CC.

oops crap i dont need these tubes then, i already have a pair of those in telefunk makeup- someone outbid me on ebay for these then, i bid just 15 bucks!
icon10.gif

edit- thanks to whoever just bid 20 bucks, i'm off the hook whew!

Oct 8, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I'll bet you $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.45 that thre will be at least one good working vacuum tube in 2,500 years. Now we just have to wait 'til 4505 to find out who wins.

I'll see that bet. With the rate of inflation, that's probably only about $3.50 current.

Oct 8, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
What does NOS mean?

It's a pseudonym for expensive...
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
It's a pseudonym for expensive...
tongue.gif

Now G..... not if you dont use the ones everybody else wants. :
blink.gif

Because I have the snazzy 12 volt option on my Singlepowers I can use 12sn7's that are identical to 6sn7's and these cost $6-8 each. I also have tube socket adapters that let me use loctal 7n7's=6sn7's..... and these cost $6-7. The real finds though are the 12 volt loctal 14n7's. This tube is identical to the highly prized Sylvania 6sn7/vt231 and I pay $2.25-3 per tube for these.
icon10.gif

By the way G..... guess who scored the legendary Supra-X and now has the amp at Singlepower East?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
By the way G..... guess who scored the legendary Supra-X and now has the amp at Singlepower East?
very_evil_smiley.gif

is that going to appear in Cincinnati on the 22nd?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
is that going to appear in Cincinnati on the 22nd?
smily_headphones1.gif

If I can appear it might.
confused.gif

I am stuck working as of now. But I am begging co workers for a trade.
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
my understanding is that you can put your spare tube in a jar and vacuum it and store it somewhere safe.

actually, it's not so much the air around us that causes problems with tubes but the air within tubes.

air adsorbed onto metal/glass surfaces during tube production escapes slowly (but faster than air entering through the novar-glass interface) and does nasty things. worst thing of all, there's nothing you can do about it.

but still...

people often forget is that ss circuits are almost always designed strictly around a particular ss component, and more importantly, do not allow substitution of said component.

take the M^3 i'm building now - it's a capable amp, no doubt about it. but 15 years down the road, if the paired trios of mosfets decides to go nova on me, i doubt i'll be able to find any IRFZ24N or IRF9Z34N mosfets to replace them.

and i wont be able to use any other mosfet as a drop-in replacement either without substantial modification to the circuit values.

tubes? well, take my hd-25. if i ever run out of 6AS7s, i could use 5998s. or 421As. or 7236s. all without circuit modifications!
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #40 of 44
I wouldn't worry about tube life too much. They will last a lot longer than most people seem to think. I know someone who has had a valve amp for over ten years with the original tubes still going strong. When he first brought it (Second hand) the amp had been rebuilt and had new tubes in then. The only difference we have noticed if you roll in newer tubes is the newer tubes have a bit more gain as the older tubes emissions have faded a bit. Also the glass on the tubes has gone silver
lambda.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #41 of 44
Thanks folks this thread has been most informative - no joke. It's helped me find some great cheap alternatives to my current tubes - once they arrive i'll report back and tell you if it was worth the 13 bucks for the pair!

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #42 of 44
I am a very newbie to good quality headphone equipment and now that my  Little Dot DAC_I Digital to Analog Converter and the Little Dot MK IV with SE better tube option has finally arrived from China it completes my system along with my Sennheiser HD 600 headphones. And I am becoming absolutely amazed by the sound once  Little Dot MK IV headphone amp burnt in.

Consequently I want this sound they are giving me to last the rest of my life. My new headphone amplifier uses the uses two M8100/CV4010 driving tubes and two 6H30PI (gold-pin) Power tubes in a tube solid-state hybrid design. 

When they finally wear out should I expect the power and driving tubes  to wear out together? Should I only replaced them in match peers and trust my seller to match them for me? Will the degradation from what I am hearing now be gradual and subtle or very noticeable? And if anyone knows these tubes could you give me a guess as to their life expectancy?

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #43 of 44
A tube amp can last a good amount of time. Obviously it's easy to replace an old tube but there are guys out there who replace some of the capacitors every 15 years or so. Many rock guitarists today play amps that were built in the 60s . They work great as long as they are maintained. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #44 of 44
  I am a very newbie to good quality headphone equipment and now that my  Little Dot DAC_I Digital to Analog Converter and the Little Dot MK IV with SE better tube option has finally arrived from China it completes my system along with my Sennheiser HD 600 headphones. And I am becoming absolutely amazed by the sound once  Little Dot MK IV headphone amp burnt in.

Consequently I want this sound they are giving me to last the rest of my life. My new headphone amplifier uses the uses two M8100/CV4010 driving tubes and two 6H30PI (gold-pin) Power tubes in a tube solid-state hybrid design. 

When they finally wear out should I expect the power and driving tubes  to wear out together? Should I only replaced them in match peers and trust my seller to match them for me? Will the degradation from what I am hearing now be gradual and subtle or very noticeable? And if anyone knows these tubes could you give me a guess as to their life expectancy?

Wow, this thread was from way, way , way back! I haven't posted here for a while.

6H30 is a fairly common tube nowadays that got popular when Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) first begun to promote it in their products back in the early 1990s. Now ARC uses them too for all their preamps. This is a fairly rugged tube, but sounds a bit more linear, dynamic, and cooler than the traditional 6DJ8/6922/7308 variant that it had replaced. I am speaking of NOS tubes here. I had compared my preamp, a modded ARC LS-25 Mk I using 6922 tubes, to its successor, the LS-25 Mk II which uses the 6H30 tubes, and that was my conclusion.

I am not familiar with M8100/CV4010, but a quick search revealed that there are a lot of Mullard NOS tubes available for decent price. So you should be OK. I have friends that have been using more up-to-date ARC preamps and phonostages that uses the 6H30 tubes. They swear that there is a big difference between the current production ones vs. ones from the 1980s. And those are getting more expensive than NOS 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes.

Some gears drive tubes harder than others. There was a preamp from CAT that would kill any NOS tubes within a week or two. The only one that would survive in it was the Sovtek 6922s. In most gear, tubes don't just "die", like you wake up one morning, and it doesn't glow any more or no sound is coming out. What will happen is that the sound will just degrade over time. You might occasionally have a tube failure where you see flashes and the tube dies of an untimely death. But there are always exceptions. My friend's 6550 power tube died in his ARC Ref 5 preamp, and it took down some other stuff with it, so he had to get it serviced. Another guy with a pair of old ARC Ref amps told me that when a power tube dies, it takes out the resistor that is soldered to the circuit. So you have to resolder a new one on top of replacing the tube. There are two things that age the tube. One is the amount of time you have the amp on, but the other is turning on and shutting off which ages the tube faster than just leaving it on. So I would recommend if you are just stepping away for like an hour or two, leave the amp on. But if you are going to be gone longer than that and won't be turning them on 3 or 4 times during that day, then turn it off. It's a judgement call. But remember turning the amp off and back on will require some warm-up time for the amp to sound good.

For normal listening, you can probably replace tubes every 2 to 3 years. But I am sure other owners can provide you with better recommendation. Depending on the life expectancy of the 6H30 vs the M8100 and how hard the amp drives each set of tubes, you will most unlikely to need to replace both pairs at the same time. But it would be a good idea to swap the particular pair out at the same time, not just a single tube. Keep the old tube as spares as you never know when one might die on you. As for tube matching, there are a lot of different opinions on that. First, you need to find out from the manufacturer how the tube is being used. For example, many of the tubes used in preamps such as the 6DJ8/6922/7308 family as well as the 12AU7, 12AX7, and the 6H30 have two "sections" within the tube. For one of my old ARC phonostages, PH3 SE, I learned from ARC that each channel is actually using a section in each of all 3 tubes. So it was more important to have the internal sections of each tube matching each other than say have 3 identical tubes. And I've rolled plenty of tubes through all my gears. Back to tube matching. Most dealers these days match by measured outputs. So if you subscribe to this, find a reputable tube dealer and they can provide you matched tubes and charge you a little bit more. I've tried tube that measured differently and honestly cannot tell discern any different in sound or volume level. Others in the NOS circle also subscribe to the thought that tubes should not only be from the same manufacturer, but also from the same plant, same manufacturing date AND same batch. Of course this would be hard to achieve as the supply is dwindling. I usually just tried to make sure that they are from similar manufacturing date, from the same plant and have the same internal structure. For NOS tubes, they did change design of tubes over time, so the sound signature do change, so it is important to make sure you are buying the "same tube".

As for matching tube output, I use an old military TV-D/U tester to test all my tubes. It measures the transconductance. Don't ask me what that means. As far as I know, there's not a tester out there that you can buy (as a consumer) that will test the 6H30. So you can only rely on the retailer. And I don't even know what they use to test. Maybe they have one of those old curve tracers or something.

One last thing, when you swap tubes, the amp will not sound "exactly" the same, as different tubes manufactured from different period will have a slight variation in sound signature. And tubes from different manufacturers will have bigger differences. That is part of the fun with tube equipment as you can tube roll to change the sound of the gear. Some gear will have bigger changes with tube rolling, but some may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back