how long does it take for a check to clear?
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Libertad

1000+ Head-Fier
Yeah I'm in a tight spot (yes and no) I just paid all of my utility bills and rent today and had money left over so I wasn't in a bind. I planed on going grocery shopping today but my card was rejected. ?!
confused_face(1).gif
was my first reaction but I paid with some cash I had on hand. Later that day I checked my account balance and found that a check of $280 had just cleared after I signed it on December 6th. I found this to be really weird because I don't ever remember signing a check for that much, perhaps it was fraudulent or I could have really signed that check and I just don't remember it. I'm working for a solution as I type and would like to know from your experiences as an audiophile community, have any of you had an experience like this or know why it would take so long for a check to clear? Superduper Kudos to any feed back and as always happy listening.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm in a tight spot (yes and no) I just paid all of my utility bills and rent today and had money left over so I wasn't in a bind. I planed on going grocery shopping today but my card was rejected. ?!
confused_face(1).gif
was my first reaction but I paid with some cash I had on hand. Later that day I checked my account balance and found that a check of $280 had just cleared after I signed it on December 6th. I found this to be really weird because I don't ever remember signing a check for that much, perhaps it was fraudulent or I could have really signed that check and I just don't remember it. I'm working for a solution as I type and would like to know from your experiences as an audiophile community, have any of you had an experience like this or know why it would take so long for a check to clear? Superduper Kudos to any feed back and as always happy listening.
smile_phones.gif

Only time I saw a check of mine take that long to clear was when I wrote a check to a personal friend and he forgot about it for nearly a month before he cashed it out.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once deposited, a check will clear within 2 days although some banks will not credit an account for up to 5 days. Basically the bank is using your money free for 3 days.

Thats actually very interesting to note should I give my bank a call in this regard to clear things up? Also thinking back I do remember writing a check for that amount but never thought it would take that long to clear, guess you learn something new everyday.
wink_face.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Many of my creditors are now converting my paper check into an electronic transaction. I have seen the funds in my account reserved for the amount of the check on the same day as the check was received but the transaction does not clear until a couple days later. I thought it was wierd the creditor was converting my check into an electronic transaction. I talked with my bank and was told it was legal. I later found some [size=xx-small]tiny[/size] print I had signed authorizing it when I opened my account.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Do you use duplicate checks? If not, make sure you start, because it's really foolish to not have that kind of proof on hand. I'd call the bank ASAP... it sounds like it might be fraudulent to me.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats actually very interesting to note should I give my bank a call in this regard to clear things up? Also thinking back I do remember writing a check for that amount but never thought it would take that long to clear, guess you learn something new everyday.
wink_face.gif

It sounds like whoever you wrote the check to held onto to it for whatever reason and didn't deposit it until recently. A bank would never take over a month to clear a check once it has been presented for payment.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 11
I second the duplicate checks idea. I used them for years and they came in handy many times. I lived at an apartment where we were threatened with eviction many times. My duplicate checks helped prove the management office needed a cranial cleaning.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 11
i have WAMU and i can go online to view a copy of my check. The scan it and post the pic on my account for me to review if needed.

Now-a-days checks go through MUCH quicker than before. 1-2 working days normally for me. Depending on what you using it for. I went and renewed my tag the other day and used a check....they scanned the check, printed on the back and returned the ACTUAL paper check to me right then and there. I asked if they needed it for their records..the person replied no, that it was already cleared.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once deposited, a check will clear within 2 days although some banks will not credit an account for up to 5 days. Basically the bank is using your money free for 3 days.

Depends on who the check is from. If it is a personal check it is supposed to be 10 days to clear. If it is a bank cheque from a recognized company then it is about 2 days only.

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like whoever you wrote the check to held onto to it for whatever reason and didn't deposit it until recently. A bank would never take over a month to clear a check once it has been presented for payment.

This is likely the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back