How long do tubes last?
Aug 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jawang

500+ Head-Fier
Or, to be more specific, how often should I expect to replace tubes if I buy a tube amp?

I'm debating between a shanling ph100 (SS) and the little dot i+ (Tube/SS). The i+ is much cheaper so I'm leaning toward it right now, however, if I'm going to need a couple $20 tube replacements down the line, then the price difference won't matter very much (my impression is that the ph100 will perform better).

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 12
The driver tube in my Zana Deux is spec'ed for 10.000 operating hours. The others not sure, but I estimate about the same.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 12
It depends on the circuit and how hard they are driven. You should expect several thousand hours. I've had a tube in my DAC for 15 years of listening duty and it's still going strong.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Yes, it depends on the circuit, how hard you run it and the amount of heat it is exposed to. Power output tubes vary a lot depending on how they're driven. With most conservative designs, you should get a few thousand hours from them

Signal tubes, on the other hand, run cool and don't get much demand placed on them. In some of my old radios, I have tubes that have been going for 60-70 years.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Expect them to last a while, but plan on having a spare. That's what I do. Just like transistors, tubes can and do have failures. Fortunately, it is much easier to replace a bad tube than a bad transistor.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it depends on the circuit, how hard you run it and the amount of heat it is exposed to. Power output tubes vary a lot depending on how they're driven. With most conservative designs, you should get a few thousand hours from them

Signal tubes, on the other hand, run cool and don't get much demand placed on them. In some of my old radios, I have tubes that have been going for 60-70 years.

thanks for the replies everyone,

Erik, by any chance do you know if the little dot i+ uses signal tubes or power tubes?

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 12
They aren't signal tubes.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 12
If I run a fan right next to my amp, can I expect at least a year of service even if the amp is running 5-10 hours a day (multiple people will be using it)?

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the replies everyone,

Erik, by any chance do you know if the little dot i+ uses signal tubes or power tubes?

Power tubes. That doesn't mean they're going to burn out in a couple of weeks, though.

Signal tubes are usually found in radios, TVs, test equipment and other electronics. They usually do things like help process a radio signal.

A majpr difference between signal and power tubes is that power tubes draw more power to generate more energy - you need that to move a voicecoil back and forth. You don't need a huge amount of energy to process a radio wave, so signal tubes run much cooler. This is important because heat is the number one killer of electronics. The power tubes get hotter and might last a few years. Signal tubes run cooler and last for a few decades.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 12
All I know is that my tubes out lasted my last tube amp. Well, you guys can guess which company made the amp.
angry_face.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Anywhere from 500-10000 hours (21-417 days of 24/7 power applied). It's the heater life rating you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back