how long can the triple fi last?
Nov 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i refute that, i think the shures are built better, designed better, and are as solid as anything else out there,when i had the triple fi there was noticeable gluing on the cable grip and the housings on the super fi series which is essentially the same design has been known to be a little week. the poor cable of earlier se530 models was a design flaw of the cables, not the earphones. notice how all the problems with the triple fi are to do with the housings and connectors and the majority of shure problems are of those that purchased earlier models. i also bet you would have more problems getting ultimate ears to exchange your broken housings than shure replacing cables. you see shure recognised the problem and did a good job by resolving the problem, theres been plenty of housing problems throughout the super fi line and what did ultimate ears do, they designed the triple fi the exact same way...problem not solved, i have not had any problems with the triple fi personally but you have to take into consideration the build design, its obvious that the triple fi wastes more space inside the earphones because they are huge and that wasted space means its more hollow, and hollow space is weaker than filled space.

evidence of that is here

http://raizo.daa.jp/images/superfi5broke.jpg

http://www.envimon.com/francis/superfi3.jpg

and there have been many others.

hmm the internals of the TF10 might not be of the same size of the shures, so saying that it's empty because it's bigger externally than the se530 might not be accurate. also, it's not exactly much bigger, if at all. I don't have the se530 right now, but from what I remember of it, the TF10 is just longer, not bigger.

personally I don't have a problem with the housing (durability-wise), but I've yet to go past the 1 year mark.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #17 of 46
There are more than just build quality to concern with - how the user treats his/her earphone and the humidity and temperature of the environment all play a part (even body chemistry plays a part now). Unless the earphone fall apart in large quantity by its own or with only minimum usage, I wouldn't consider it to be poor build quality. My TF10 didn't fall apart, nor is my SE530. I certainly don't think either are of poor build. The question should be, is there room for improvement? I think the answer is definitely 'yes'.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are more than just build quality to concern with - how the user treats his/her earphone and the humidity and temperature of the environment all play a part (even body chemistry plays a part now). Unless the earphone fall apart by its own or with only minimum usage in large quantity, I wouldn't consider it to be poor build quality. My TF10 didn't fall apart, nor is my SE530. I certainly don't think either are of poor build. The question should be, is there room for improvement? I think the answer is definitely 'yes'.

agreed, point well made. both could be improved, every set of phones can be to be honest, i think ultimate ears is certainly taking a turn for the better thier latest universal phones super fi 5, super fi 4 etc are certainly improved in the design department, the next triple or quadriple driver design from them should certainly be something to look forward to design wise.

your right tho, both are built very well if were all honest with ourselves. those who own triple fi will vote them and those with se530 will vote them but both should and could last years with the correct use and care.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm the internals of the TF10 might not be of the same size of the shures, so saying that it's empty because it's bigger externally than the se530 might not be accurate. also, it's not exactly much bigger, if at all. I don't have the se530 right now, but from what I remember of it, the TF10 is just longer, not bigger.

personally I don't have a problem with the housing (durability-wise), but I've yet to go past the 1 year mark.

your right bigger drivers would explain the bigger size. and the triple fi is bigger theres no doubt about that.

Each housing measures 25mm long and about 13mm wide, making them nearly twice as large as those found on the Shure SE530. courtsey of cnet.

so yeh they are bigger than the shures.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Triple Fi more comfortable than SE530 ?

no, 99% of users will tell you they aint, but the 1% of users that are full on triple fi fans will say they are. and if they fit you well then they may well be comfortable, but thier larger size and design makes them much more unlikely to fit as well as the shures. plus the shure foams just made the se530 even more comfortable, eliminating ear canal tickle in my experience. i cannot use silicone anymore because they tickle my ear canal on movement and earphone vibration. many people say the triple fi is just as comfortable with the shure foams but your still restricted by the design, its hit and miss.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your right bigger drivers would explain the bigger size. and the triple fi is bigger theres no doubt about that.

Each housing measures 25mm long and about 13mm wide, making them nearly twice as large as those found on the Shure SE530. courtsey of cnet.

so yeh they are bigger than the shures.

I take some measurement (Yeah, Sunday is a boring day).

SE530's widest part is about the same as TF10, around 12~13mm.

SE530 length, though might seen shorter, is not really that short. If you take into the account of the bend on the nozzle, both measured around 35mm (including eartips, which in this case are olive for both).

TF10 did have a biggest cable entrance, but that is because of the replaceable cable's jack.

In sum, SE530 is smaller...but not that smaller.

Quote:

Though I find both to be comfortable, I'll say SE530 is *slightly* more comfortable for me (not just the fit of earpieces, but also considering in the cable and such).

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take some measurement (Yeah, Sunday is a boring day).

SE530's widest part is about the same as TF10, around 12~13mm.

SE530 length, though might seen shorter, is not really that short. If you take into the account of the bend on the nozzle, both measured around 35mm (including eartips, which in this case are olive for both).

TF10 did have a biggest cable entrance, but that is because of the replaceable cable's jack.

In sum, SE530 is smaller...but not that smaller.

Though I find both to be comfortable, I'll say SE530 is *slightly* more comfortable for me (not just the fit of earpieces, but also considering in the cable and such).

thank you. that seems to be a more reasonable comparison of size than what jinx posted. i'm pretty certain the TF10 aren't that much bigger than the SE530, it's just the length that makes it stick out more and hence makes it look bigger. I'll check out my friend's SE530 the next time I see him to check.

comfort-wise, i'll have to give it to the se530. imo they completely knock-out the TF10.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

All depends whether you can get a fitting tip for your ear. They are to go In-ear afterall, the headphone's weigh-balance/design doesn't really influence much at all.
They both are intended to go around your ear with the wiring. Flip-mod at least lets the earphones rest a little on your ear for a better fit; if you want that contact with your ear.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #26 of 46
I have one of the original pairs of triple.fi 10 pro's (which came with the numbered aluminum cases) and one of them has finally gone bad. The contact on the R side is flaky, happens when I switch the sides on the cable or switch cables altogether, so I know the problem is in the IEM. These things have lived a good life, been with me for several trips around the world, and I'm hoping that UE customer support will repair them for me so I don't have to buy a new pair. We'll see.

Gary

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryAR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one of the original pairs of triple.fi 10 pro's (which came with the numbered aluminum cases) and one of them has finally gone bad. The contact on the R side is flaky, happens when I switch the sides on the cable or switch cables altogether, so I know the problem is in the IEM. These things have lived a good life, been with me for several trips around the world, and I'm hoping that UE customer support will repair them for me so I don't have to buy a new pair. We'll see.

Gary

F!)

sign............guess i have to run away from TF10

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 46
um go ahead and I will laugh when in a year your cable splits far more 530's have issues then tf10's
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um go ahead and I will laugh when in a year your cable splits far more 530's have issues then tf10's
smily_headphones1.gif

You've got SE530 as well? any issues with that.

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you. that seems to be a more reasonable comparison of size than what jinx posted. i'm pretty certain the TF10 aren't that much bigger than the SE530, it's just the length that makes it stick out more and hence makes it look bigger. I'll check out my friend's SE530 the next time I see him to check.

comfort-wise, i'll have to give it to the se530. imo they completely knock-out the TF10.

i just posted what cnet's measurements were, now i know cnet isnt perfect and do pretty crap reviews but they cant **** up measurements surely. i dont have triple fi anymore thankfully but i do remember them being a lot bigger than shures as earphones go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back