How long can a cat live without food and water?
Apr 22, 2007 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
I just opened my backyard storage shed to dust off my golf clubs and while standing there heard a rustling sound from deep within. From among the boxes out pops the mewing head of a neighbourhood cat. I've seen this cat before and in fact, last winter it tried on several occasions to get into my house when I would come home from work.

The shed is fairly new and as far as I know, doesn't have any access holes in it. In fact, there's never even been a mouse in it. So the cat must have snuck in when the door was last open. The thing is, the last time I remember being in that shed was over two weeks ago when I went to get some tools. There is an outside chance ( but I don't remember and don't think so) I was in it briefly about 10 days ago when I cleaned my car out, but even then, isn't 10 days a long time to go without food and water? I can see that it had messed up the venetian blinds I have covering the windows, so it was definitely trapped in there for at least 10 days.

It finally came out after some coaxing but then my dog spooked it and it made a bee-line for the nearest tree which in it's weakened condition, it could barely jump up on. I keep some cat food in the house to feed the odd stray on the coldest days of winter but when I took it and some water to the backyard, the cat was gone ... hopefully to it's home.

The only thing I can think of is that it found some insects to eat. I thought a human couldn't live more than 3 or 4 days without water ... could cats be different?

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 60
After 24 hours the cat is likely to develop hepatic lipidosis, which is very serious and often fatal. 2 days will forever damage his health if he hasnt gotten hepatic lipidosis, and will die sometime on the 3rd if still alive.

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 60
My wife's cat went a whole week when we were in Jamaica getting married. And no, we didn't do that on purpose. We actually paid someone to come over to feed her, but she wouldn't eat! The frickin' cat got depressed! I don't understand cats sometimes
rolleyes.gif
When we got back the cat was still alive, but she was in real bad shape. It took about $5K at the vet's office to bring her back to health! That's why my wife can never say anything about this little hobby of mine!

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 60
Urine, as far as I'm aware, is poisonous.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 60
I think that cat was feasting on moles. Moles, because they are mostly blind, are able to move through solid matter unhindered--not by force of will, but by a little understood method known as ostrichus transfericus.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that cat was feasting on moles. Moles, because they are mostly blind, are able to move through solid matter unhindered--not by force of will, but by a little understood method known as ostrichus transfericus.

Say what?

So moles can travel through a block of concrete, like one of the X-Men?

LOL

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Urine, as far as I'm aware, is poisonous.

No it isn't. Some people even think it's good for you and drink their own urine every morning. I must EMPHASIZE, I'm not one of them, I think it's gross!
The point is, these people are still healthy (mental health not counted) after drinking urine.

mbriant,
Are you sure no-one else opened that door? Do you sleepwalk? Was the door locked? Some cats can open doors by juming on the handle (wouldn't explain why the door wasn't open when you got there...)
Was there rainwater seeping into the shed somewhere?

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 60
If not moles, I'm going to move on to the next logical explanation, illustrated by the cover of this widely cited work on the subject:

cwwtwuk.jpg

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 60
mbriant,
Are you sure no-one else opened that door? Positve. Do you sleepwalk? Maybe. Was the door locked? Yes, padlocked. Some cats can open doors by jumping on the handle I know, I used to have one. (wouldn't explain why the door wasn't open when you got there...)
Was there rainwater seeping into the shed somewhere? No, unless it's recently sprung a leak that I don't notice. This isn't a cheap metal prefab shed. Until I started storing stuff in it, it was a workshop. It was hand built with shingles and siding, like a small house, and in 5 years I've never seen it leak a drop.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it isn't. Some people even think it's good for you and drink their own urine every morning. I must EMPHASIZE, I'm not one of them, I think it's gross!
The point is, these people are still healthy (mental health not counted) after drinking urine.

It actually depends. If you drink your urine once, you'll be okay (a great way of saving your life in a wreck). However, if you keep drinking your urine, peeing it out, then drinking it again, the urine becomes more and more concentrated as the actual water is being absorbed. At a certain point it becomes toxic and will poison you.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 60
Than all I can say that we can thank the Lord that the cat is still alive and hopefully well.
The only thing I can think of is that when without water you shouldn't eat because you need water to digest the food. So if the cat didn't have anything to eat that might just have saved it.. but still, two weeks???
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back